Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Routing Advice BKK / Southeast Asia to/from USA for UA flyers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Routing Advice BKK / Southeast Asia to/from USA for UA flyers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2023, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA (Silver), WN
Thanks for the heads up!

Originally Posted by cfischer
definitely also check one-way pricing ... can be a decent deal for such a route. STL-FRA-BKK would be 1-stop, but not an easy purchase ...
If NH doesn't work out and you want *A, AC via YVR is an option
Great suggestion - thanks.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Is there a particular reason you're trying to book this ticket through UA?
Not really Kacee. We are just accustomed to flying with UA, and have accumulated some, but relatively few, old UA miles.
It's probably a habit from the old days, when UA still flew all the way to BKK, and we used to be able to make this trip STL>ORD>BKK all on UA metal in less than 30 hours! Fond memories....
Hearing that going with an ME carrier, the TATL route, may be a better way to go!?!?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 2, 2023 at 7:15 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 2, 2023, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Menko
Hearing that going with an ME carrier, the TATL route, may be a better way to go!?!?
For elderly pax I'd go with least connections. 1 stop from STL are not easy, but its possible. Check business class from some of the coasts ... can be a decent price ... then a feeder flight from STL?
Menko likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
definitely also check one-way pricing ... can be a decent deal for such a route. STL-FRA-BKK would be 1-stop, but not an easy purchase ...
If NH doesn't work out and you want *A, AC via YVR is an option
I'd agree. Assuming prices are okay, STL-FRA-BKK would be the most efficient. All other routing would require at least two connections/three flights each way.
AC only flies to YYZ from STL, so YVR would not be possible except for multiple segments.
Menko likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There will also be numerous good 2 stop options via LAX or SFO on a variety of Asian carriers.
Originally Posted by Menko
There are good options with either routing . . . I'd consider all available options and choose the routing and carrier that offer the best combination of price, convenience and quality. I don't know that the ME carriers offer a particularly good experience in economy. The Asian carriers are generally best for that (especially JL, NH, KE/OZ, and SQ). Google Flights is a great tool to see what's available.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 12:19 am

Looking for some routing advice here... A friend and I are currently booked HNL-GUM-FUK-BKK in early October. The flight involves an overnight in GUM so no connection issues there, but the GUM-FUK-BKK segments involve just about a 75 minute connection in FUK. This isn't the routing I originally booked, but because of cancellations and time changes this is the best I could do with miles. I've been looking everyday for something I could change us to that's less risky, but no luck yet. We're leaving HNL on 10/1 and need to be in BKK by the afternoon of 10/3. We could leave earlier on 9/30 if necessary. Any routings other than HNL-NRT or HNL-ICN (neither of which show availability) that I should be checking?

Mahalo for the advice and suggestions!
Old Aug 16, 2023, 8:46 am

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Originally Posted by alenguy
Looking for some routing advice here... A friend and I are currently booked HNL-GUM-FUK-BKK in early October. The flight involves an overnight in GUM so no connection issues there, but the GUM-FUK-BKK segments involve just about a 75 minute connection in FUK. This isn't the routing I originally booked, but because of cancellations and time changes this is the best I could do with miles. I've been looking everyday for something I could change us to that's less risky, but no luck yet. We're leaving HNL on 10/1 and need to be in BKK by the afternoon of 10/3. We could leave earlier on 9/30 if necessary. Any routings other than HNL-NRT or HNL-ICN (neither of which show availability) that I should be checking?

NH seems to release two J seats on HNL-NRT close in - see 8/18 to 8/26 (generally each day), 8/28, 8/30, 8/31, 9/1.

I would keep your current ticket and wait & see. Usually a lot of space opens up closer to departure.
alenguy likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alenguy

One stop from HNL, I think you've nailed it unless you'd like to backtrack via SFO.

Another options would be HNL-GUM-MNL-(Overnight)-(SIN)-BKK; while I don't normally recommend connecting in MNL, it's fine for an overnight. There are several hotels near T3. MNL-BKK is served by TG, and if TG isn't available, you may find SQ availability via SIN.

Alternatively, if you'd prefer to spend the night at GUM, GUM-KIX-BKK, which operates on 10/2 (so you'd need to leave HNL on 9/30), would be an option.
SPN Lifer and alenguy like this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 6:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

UA or Star partner J award seats to Thailand help

Hi All,

For the past week I've been searching for award flights in J from DC to Thailand for April or May 2024. All I see is Ethiopian for 88k or 110k. Sometimes I see mixed cabin; economy to Europe and J on Thai. Once I found mixed Turkish DC to IST in economy then J to Dhaka and then J on Thai to BKK. All I see for United is 650k one way via SFO and HKG. That's out of the question.
When I tried to look for economy seats IAD-Japan-BKK (my favorite connection) I could find round trip for $1400 pp. Was happy with it, I've purchased the ticket, and then I saw IAD-HND then 3 hours connection and next flight from Narita to Bangkok! WTH? Is it even possible to to make intl to intl connection with bags in 3 hours? All other paid flights on United/ANA are $4000+
I would be happy with one way (all the way) in J for 150k pp if that's possible. I can fly Turkish for $900rt and skip the return flight if there is possibility of finding return flight in J. Either BKK or HKT would work. I could also do repositioning flight within SE Asia if I there was J award seat to IAD. We could do repositioning flight to Cairo if there was a chance to get decent J seat from there to IAD (found only Ethiopian). Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated
Please help! What can I do?
Old Dec 26, 2023, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA
3 hours is the minimum connection time between HND and NRT so if a schedule change shortens that, you can ask to be reaccomodated. What other points do you have? Have you looked at flights to SIN and then repositioning? Have you also considered repositioning flights on the US end?
Old Dec 26, 2023, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by bwiadca
. Was happy with it, I've purchased the ticket, and then I saw IAD-HND then 3 hours connection and next flight from Narita to Bangkok! WTH? Is it even possible to to make intl to intl connection with bags in 3 hours? All other paid flights on United/ANA are $4000+
Thought MCT for HND -NRT is 3.5 hours. 3 hours is tough especially bc u need to be there 60 min for check-in , but doable at the right hours.

If UA did sell you a ticket violating MCT, You should be able to ask for availability on CONUSA-NRT, though it may require extra hop to a CONUSA hub to fly to nrt
Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:20 pm
formerly 1984SW

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Thought MCT for HND -NRT is 3.5 hours. 3 hours is tough especially bc u need to be there 60 min for check-in , but doable at the right hours.

If UA did sell you a ticket violating MCT, You should be able to ask for availability on CONUSA-NRT, though it may require extra hop to a CONUSA hub to fly to nrt
My interpretation of the chart from Expert Flyer is that it is indeed 3h30m:
Spoiler

Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I've looked at SIN too. UA1 SFO-SIN the lowest I saw in J was 350k pp. On the way out nothing.
As for the HND NRT transfer. I wouldn't want to add more stress to the trip. That's why I cancelled the ticket few minutes after booking it (and reviewing in details).
I did multi city routing IAD-DEN-NRT... and IAD-SFO-SE Asia nothing available for miles. The paid tickets were under $2k pp.
You gave me another idea, to start the search at LAX SFO ORD or IAH. If the paid tickets are at reasonable levels I can use miles to repo to the other hubs.
Back to the drawing board Thanks

I just looked at the cancelled ticket and the exact time between flights shows as 3 hours and 35 minutes. Still too tight as for my nerves

UA 803
12:30 pm
Washington, DC, US (IAD)
3:25 pm
Tokyo, JP (HND)
Duration: 13h 55m

UA 7971
Operated by All Nippon Airways
7:00 pm
Tokyo, JP (NRT)
11:45 pm
Bangkok, TH (BKK)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 26, 2023 at 7:36 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts / update by same member
Old Dec 26, 2023, 8:08 pm

Programs: *
Consider looking outside Star Alliance if paying cash is an option - may give you better value than the mile awards. Qatar and Emirates are very competitive on this route, often much cheaper than UA, and will give better value than almost any Star alliance carrier.
bwiadca likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Right now is probably the worst window to be looking for award seats for April/May. I'd either book a cash fare you can live with or book the best mileage redemption you can find, and then look to improve it. IME, things start to open about two weeks prior to departure. Noting though, that the return from Asia can be really difficult.

If you have transferable points currency, be sure to check SQ.
jsloan and bwiadca like this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 12:14 am

I've looked at SIN too. UA1 SFO-SIN the lowest I saw in J was 350k pp. On the way out nothing.
As for the HND NRT transfer. I wouldn't want to add more stress to the trip. That's why I cancelled the ticket few minutes after booking it (and reviewing in details).
I did multi city routing IAD-DEN-NRT... and IAD-SFO-SE Asia nothing available for miles. The paid tickets were under $2k pp.
You gave me another idea, to start the search at LAX SFO ORD or IAH. If the paid tickets are at reasonable levels I can use miles to repo to the other hubs.
Back to the drawing board Thanks

I just looked at the cancelled ticket and the exact time between flights shows as 3 hours and 35 minutes. Still too tight as for my nerves

UA 803
12:30 pm
Washington, DC, US (IAD)
3:25 pm
Tokyo, JP (HND)
Duration: 13h 55m

UA 7971
Operated by All Nippon Airways
7:00 pm
Tokyo, JP (NRT)
11:45 pm
Bangkok, TH (BKK)
IAD flights to Japan will necessitate the HND to NRT transfer if you want a sensible connection. There are 2x daily HND-BKK flights by ANA, one leaving at 11:15 and one at 00:15, neither of which works well for you. The Thai flights leave at similar times. To connect to the evening NRT-BKK flight, consider taking the EWR-NRT flight which arrives at 15:30.
bwiadca likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.