Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Routing Advice BKK / Southeast Asia to/from USA for UA flyers

Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Routing Advice BKK / Southeast Asia to/from USA for UA flyers

Old Feb 20, 2022, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Last time I transited NRT was a while ago. They asked anyone connecting to international flight to deplane first. We walked straight into the departure area of the terminal. (Did not go "upstairs" and back thru security or anything).
That is exactly how it was at NRT in mid-April 2021 (SFO-NRT-GUM).
goodeats21 likes this.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Feb 20, 2022 at 6:36 pm
Old Feb 20, 2022, 6:03 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goodeats21
No testing requirements or specific forms to fill out.

Last time I transited NRT was a while ago. They asked anyone connecting to international flight to deplane first. We walked straight into the departure area of the terminal. (Did not go "upstairs" and back thru security or anything).
Lounges were well staffed, and there were specific procedures inside (one way traffic around buffet area, etc) that was closely monitored by attendants. Cook-to-order food counter was open.

All told, very easy. i am doing it again Late-March.
I think it depends on travel direction. In December 2021 SFO -NRT-BKK required no additional security but BKK-NRT-SFO did require the extra screening
SPN Lifer and goodeats21 like this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 6:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Advice on SE Asia trip itinerary

Hey All,

I am trying to construct a work trip in September for the following: ORD-BKK, BKK-SGN, SGN-ORD. My company will likely pay for Premium Economy but not Business.

I am toying with the idea of flying UA for ORD-SFO-SIN...then take Singapore Air from SIN to BKK.. (local airlines between BKK-SGN) .and also Singapore Air for SGN back to SIN...and then UA metal from SIN-SFO-ORD

In this scenario I can try to use my Plus points to upgrade from Premium Economy to Business on SFO-SIN both ways. But how likely is that really on that route? Decent chance or total pipe dream?

I can also fly Singapore Air from a few USA cities to SIN...in Premium Economy but no chance of upgrade. (I didnt see any great options to fly to BKK directly, so using SIN seemed like a better option)

How would you guys construct such a trip if you can only buy up to Premium Economy on any airline but also had 360 Plus Points?
Old May 23, 2022, 10:55 am

Question SFO to CGK: Better in J via SIN with UA or TPE with EVA?

Dear Wise Flyers:
Due to flight schedule cancellations, we have to change routing for a business class ticket from SFO to CGK in Dec.
Would there be a big difference of these:
1. SFO to SIN UA Polaris and SIN to CGK on SIA in COACH; OR
2. SFO to TPE EVA Biz and TPE to CGK on EVA in Biz.

Option 1 is a bit shorter / more efficient / better timed (SFO to TPE is at midnight vs SFO to SIN at 10.30 pm)
But, the reviews of Polaris, even on a long 17+ hour flight seem dreadful with bad food, bad service, limited amenities, etc. Can it really truly be that bad?
Normally I would always favor fastest under the theory that 'any business class should really be good enough.' But UA Polaris / Fauxlaris seems to be changing that unfortunately.
Flight on SIA SFO to SIN not an option.
Old May 23, 2022, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by thaitraveller
Dear Wise Flyers:
Due to flight schedule cancellations, we have to change routing for a business class ticket from SFO to CGK in Dec.

Option 1 is a bit shorter / more efficient / better timed (SFO to TPE is at midnight vs SFO to SIN at 10.30 pm)
But, the reviews of Polaris, even on a long 17+ hour flight seem dreadful with bad food, bad service, limited amenities, etc. Can it really truly be that bad?
Normally I would always favor fastest under the theory that 'any business class should really be good enough.' But UA Polaris / Fauxlaris seems to be changing that unfortunately.
if connection in TPE is reasonable and/or overall timing of the EVA is comparable, I think that would be the way to go. I don't have any experience with them post-COVID, but their service standards were always MUCH higher than United.

It also eliminates the short flight in coach altogether, which would be important to me.
thaitraveller and findark like this.
Old May 23, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
One consideration is that TPE is still closed to international transit. Though the situation could change by the end of the year.
thaitraveller and Cthunder86 like this.
Old May 23, 2022, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
EVA Biz, assuming you think you'll be eligible for TPE transit at the time.
Old May 23, 2022, 2:55 pm

If TPE ends up being closed to transit, what would response of UAL do we think? These are mileage tickets.
Would UA accommodate? I have heard of mixed responses.
Maybe safer to take the service hit and keep the SIN routing.
Old May 23, 2022, 4:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If TPE ends up being closed to transit, what would response of UAL do we think? These are mileage tickets.
Would UA accommodate? ...
First if TPE is no transit, that would not be a covered reason for a free change. It has been that way always and by all airlines.
Second, UA can not force space on partners, so a change is only possible if partner space is available (and UA metal goes to that destination)

Partner Award tickets are very proclamation on schedule changes.
Old May 23, 2022, 4:11 pm

Thank you for very valuable input.
Sounds like best to sit tight for now on UA metal in a place more likely to be open.
Old May 23, 2022, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I have no idea what reviews are referenced nor can I rate service post-2019.

however pre-covid I never had any issues with the SIN flight and found the routing most efficient for connections to CGK. The UA Polaris beds are quite comfortable for both sleeping and mid-recline. If you are looking for some kind of gourmet meal then you should be flying SQ.
cannot comment on Taipei or EVA
Old May 23, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Dear Wise Flyers:

If TPE is available for transit EVA wins hands down.
Old May 23, 2022, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by prestonh
If TPE is available for transit EVA wins hands down.
This would be my clear advice too. I would risk booking Eva Air and wait. Taiwan may allow transit in a few months.
artvandalay likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 5:49 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by nexus7556
I think it depends on travel direction. In December 2021 SFO -NRT-BKK required no additional security but BKK-NRT-SFO did require the extra screening
Not travel direction. Point of origin.

USA (sfo) is "clean" with respect to incoming travelers to japan.
Thailand (bkk) is "unclean", so needs to be re-processed for security.

The same is true landing in Germany. USA usually goes directly into non-schengen transfer. BKK must reclear security.

Not sure why the lack of love for Thailand visitors -- their security visibly seems on-par with everyone else.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I have been looking at BKK options from USA in Business Class for late 2022 / early 2023. I can't seem to get United to offer an option thru TYO with the ANA leg in Business Class. It always comes back with that segment in economy. (Both HND and NRT).
I don't want to spend 7 hours in an economy seat. I would think this would be their preferred routing, but can't seem to get them to offer it.

Anyone else seeing this and/or have a workaround? Tried using Google Flights, same result.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.