Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Routing Advice BKK / Southeast Asia to/from USA for UA flyers

Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Routing Advice BKK / Southeast Asia to/from USA for UA flyers

Old Feb 22, 2020, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by username
This is definitely not a good time to be travelling.
If you want to freak out about it, sure. I was in Bangkok last weekend and wouldn't hesitate to return.
tomwhom and Dpetryszyn like this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
If you want to freak out about it, sure. I was in Bangkok last weekend and wouldn't hesitate to return.
I'm flying next week on ANA to Bangkok (through Tokyo) and am looking forward to it.

Be sure to check your flights if flying on Thai; Thai has canceled some flights to/from BKK and China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, the Philippines, Bangladesh, and the UAE because of low loads from the virus.
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Well, now that Korea is getting out of control, I wonder what OP's plan is. Japan is looking scary too.
OP is going to transfer, not leave the airport. As long as OPs flights operate at his/her travel date, there is nothing to worry about. OP, just be prepared for the worst. Facial masks will be essential on plane.
Good luck.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is definitely not a good time to be travelling. You have to worry about the flights operating and all the quarantine rules at your destination(s), and things keep changing.
Originally Posted by Kmxu
OP is going to transfer, not leave the airport. As long as OP’s flights operate at his/her travel date, there is nothing to worry about. OP, just be prepared for the worst. Facial masks will be essential on plane.
Good luck.
To me, the biggest risks right now are airline schedule changes (remember OP has 2 tickets) and quarantine requirements.

I would not say there is "nothing" to worry about Covid-19-wise when changing planes (or flying). There is always a risk.

I have to admit I am risk-averse and anxious about this whole thing. I am not paranoid though - I came back on UA 872 from TPE 3 weeks ago and I was one of the few who did not wear a mask. If this thing does not get under control soon, it is going to have huge human and economic tolls, not that it is not already huge.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:53 am

Programs: *G
OP is going to transfer, not leave the airport. As long as OPs flights operate at his/her travel date, there is nothing to worry about. OP, just be prepared for the worst. Facial masks will be essential on plane.
Good luck.
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I'm flying next week on ANA to Bangkok (through Tokyo) and am looking forward to it.

Be sure to check your flights if flying on Thai; Thai has canceled some flights to/from BKK and China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, the Philippines, Bangladesh, and the UAE because of low loads from the virus.
Well that's fun: US CDC has increased their travel advisories for both Korea and Japan to level 2. No waiver from United or any notices on cancelled flights though as of now. I'll keep a close eye.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by caioflandau
Well that's fun: US CDC has increased their travel advisories for both Korea and Japan to level 2. No waiver from United or any notices on cancelled flights though as of now. I'll keep a close eye.
Korea government has raised its highest RED alert. So, it does not look good. The total case exceeds 600. It is very likely that United will issue travel waiver. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rt/4849614002/
The COVID-19 situation is so unpredictable. The best approach is to avoid travel. I have a ticket to Milan next month, which I will have to cancel due to outbreak of COVID-19 there.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:40 am

Programs: *G
Korea government has raised its highest RED alert. So, it does not look good. The total case exceeds 600. It is very likely that United will issue travel waiver. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rt/4849614002/
The COVID-19 situation is so unpredictable. The best approach is to avoid travel. I have a ticket to Milan next month, which I will have to cancel due to outbreak of COVID-19 there.
As expected, United has put a travel waiver on South Korea earlier today. US CDC now also raised the alert level to level 3 - avoid all nonessential travel. There goes my plans.

It's looking more and more likely that I'm going to be stuck in Asia for the next few months. Flights directly from BKK, not going through other Asian countries (EK for example), are too expensive. Seems like I have little choice other than flying somewhere else in Asia, as I need to leave Thailand soon or I'll overstay my tourist visa. Fun times.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As expected, United has put a travel waiver on South Korea earlier today. ....
Travel waiver does not mean travel suspension (yet). But best not to wait too long.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's looking more and more likely that I'm going to be stuck in Asia for the next few months.
You can buy a OW BKK-NYC on DY right now for under $450 or if you'd prefer a full service carrier, on QR or BR for around $600.

I'll be through HKG to BKK on CX in a few weeks and don't expect any issues at all.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
It's looking more and more likely that I'm going to be stuck in Asia for the next few months. Flights directly from BKK, not going through other Asian countries (EK for example), are too expensive. Seems like I have little choice other than flying somewhere else in Asia, as I need to leave Thailand soon or I'll overstay my tourist visa. Fun times.
Is there a reason why you can't transit an Asian country to fly back to the US? Given your soon to be expired visa, you're going to have to fly somewhere in Asia... since they curtailed a lot of land border runs.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As expected, United has put a travel waiver on South Korea earlier today. US CDC now also raised the alert level to level 3 - avoid all nonessential travel. There goes my plans.

My advice right now is to go "home" ASAP, wherever that is - a place where you can stay without costing too much money, a place you understand the language, a place you have health care coverage... This thing is probably going to go for another few months and if Thailand is not home, you need to go home.

If going through Middle East/Europe is doable, then do it ASAP before situation changes.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 1:42 pm

NYC-BKK options

Looking at NYC-BKK options for next Feb.
Most convenient option is EWR-BOM-BKK on UA/TQ. Timing on that is just perfect. We will probably continue onto LPQ and the connections are excellent.
The alternative is EWR-ZRH-BKK on LX or EWR-SIN-BKK on SQ. Timing is nowhere near as good.

Pick UA over SQ?
Old Jun 6, 2020, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by stevento
Most convenient option is EWR-BOM-BKK on UA/TQ. Timing on that is just perfect. We will probably continue onto LPQ and the connections are excellent.
The alternative is EWR-ZRH-BKK on LX or EWR-SIN-BKK on SQ. Timing is nowhere near as good.

Pick UA over SQ?
Is this an award ticket or revenue? Class of service?

If these are your only options, then you have to make the call between quality of service/comfort and importance of timing.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat

Pick UA over SQ?
TQ =Tandem Aero, Moldova - are you sure they fly BOM-BKK?
If you mean TG, a good chance they will not be flying next year as they are in bankruptcy proceedings now.

And if your question about picking UA over SQ is serious, let me just say that I would probably travel 12 hours extra on a trans-pacific, and maybe 2 extra stops, in order to fly SQ instead of UA.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 6, 2020 at 10:11 am Reason: repaired formatting issue
Old Jun 6, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium

Pick UA over SQ?
Have you considered EWR-HKG-BKK or NYC-TPE-BKK. The concept of overshooting BKK by going to SIN seemes suboptimal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.