Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Routing Advice BKK to/from USA for UA flyers {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread

Active thread: Routing Advice BKK to/from USA for UA flyers

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone] UA ceased BKK service in 2014
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat

Was thinking of using award miles to book from BKK -> SFO. Any advice as to what carriers / routing I should take?

I've tried BKK -> ICN (Thai Business) and ICN -> SFO (United GF) already, but that was because it was the only award space available at that time. Also, had mixed feelings since I had a half day in Seoul and took a tour, but it was brutal trying to get by on little sleep since the BKK -> ICN flight is so short.

Since I'm planning far ahead for 2017, I see lots more First / Business Saver awards available. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Looking to get the best value and try some quality first/business classes.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
X/FRA on TG and LH
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:35 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
X/FRA on TG and LH
That pops up pretty regularly. I'm sure it's a nice ride.

Of course I'm dying for my first 748 flight, and believe Aziana flies one of those.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EmailKid
That pops up pretty regularly. I'm sure it's a nice ride.

Of course I'm dying for my first 748 flight, and believe Aziana flies one of those.
No 748 for Asiana (KE only) but F is nice on the 777 and I've heard the A380 ride on OZ is equally nice.

That being said if you are already spending partner F miles TG F to LH F is the best value.

If you want to go Eastbound I'd strongly suggest NH F for the TPAC
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mduell
X/FRA on TG and LH
+1

Unfortunately TG has altered its BKK-FRA schedule for the summer & there is no F. Perhaps BKK-LHR/CDG-FRA-SFO.

Alternatively you might take TG BKK-MUC in F then connect to FRA. It will be a 744 but has suites & very comfortable & the same service.

LH F ex-MUC is being discontinued as I understand. Pity.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon

LH F ex-MUC is being discontinued as I understand. Pity.
not completely and not now ... still plenty bookable ... I just did for October.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cfischer
not completely and not now ... still plenty bookable ... I just did for October.
LH F award is bookable far in advance now? I thought LH F only opens up at T-14.

We did BKK-FRA TG F on A380, and then once we arrived in FRA, I saw LH F opened up and called UA to change from C to F on 748 since I had already paid for *A partner F award. This was booked the month before UA increased awards miles for *A premium class. That was really the way to fly.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
BKK-NRT TG F to NRT-SFO NH F
I've done it twice. Love it, even had the NH cabin once to myself.
Don't fly through Europe to get to the west coast for the FCT at FRA.

This next time I'm paying for J and doing SJC-NRT with 3 days in TYO then HND-BKK.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
BKK-NRT TG F to NRT-SFO NH F
Those are both good choices in J, too. The TG 380 is the best *A option from TYO to BKK.

BR via TPE is also a good option, except they don't release seats more than 30 days from departure.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
but it was brutal trying to get by on little sleep since the BKK -> ICN flight is so short.
I did BKK ICN SFO a decade ago, and remember very fondly the day room hotel inside ICN security. Picture Tony Soprano walking up his driveway in a bathrobe to get the paper; this is how close I was to my next gate.

Sleep, shower, phone call. I now prioritize day room availability in planning any long trip. The FRA dayrooms are outside security, but they still make SFO FRA ??? the ideal routing for regional European destinations such as Florence.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Was thinking of using award miles to book from BKK -> SFO. Any advice as to what carriers / routing I should take?

I've tried BKK -> ICN (Thai Business) and ICN -> SFO (United GF) already, but that was because it was the only award space available at that time. Also, had mixed feelings since I had a half day in Seoul and took a tour, but it was brutal trying to get by on little sleep since the BKK -> ICN flight is so short.

Since I'm planning far ahead for 2017, I see lots more First / Business Saver awards available. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Looking to get the best value and try some quality first/business classes.
For quality first experience, I agree that Thai Airways to FRA connecting to LH would be hard to beat. Thai Airways lounge / massage is a great, unique way to start the trip and great service at lounge and flight on Lufthansa. For spending 130K miles, that is probably ideal. Though you will need to role the dice on LH opening up award availability as it will not be bookable now.

If there is an option on ANA, (TG to NRT, then ANA to SFO), I would book that now just to have something locked in. You can change it to the FRA option later, if it opens up.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
+1 ^ on BKK-EU-SFO routeing. I've done it twice and like the late departure from Thailand so you can go right to sleep.

Because LH Availability can be tough stay open minded to BKK-HKG-FRA/MUC-SFO or connecting w/in N. America BKK-FRA/MUC-ORD/IAD/IAH/NYC-SFO
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
FlyerTalk...where flying 3200 miles out of the way is called the best option.

Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL

It's what (in some cases, former) UA FT flyers do: recommend other airlines.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

Yup.

Sometimes schedules are paramount. Other times the experience is preferred.

OP asked about best experience for points as one of the criteria.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.