Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Functionality issues/questions with "New" (Fall 2015) United.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: physioprof
Originally Posted by Kmxu
If you want to use the old site, as mentioned upthread, you clear the cache and history on your browser and type in "ual.com". This should work.
As of Oct. 26, 2015 it no longer seems possible to access the old version of the website.

Related thread
Consolidated: Is united.com or parts of it down?

Workaround for Login & "We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request." Problems:

Close United tab, clear browser cache, and delete all United cookies. Instead of logging back in using the home page yellow tile, click on the "Reservations -> Change or view reservations" link, and then login using the "MileagePlus: Sign in or join" link on the upper right of the page.
Print Wikipost

Functionality issues/questions with "New" (Fall 2015) United.com

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MattR23
I think this issue is fairly wide-spread. It was reported here recently. For me, it's saying I have 10 reservations when I only have 5.
I think that was me. Still says I have 7 reservations, but really only have 3. Just logged into my wife's account, and her's is correct showing 3 reservations.

Originally Posted by Madone59
Just logged on, even cleared my cookies. Still seeing the old site.
Originally Posted by RdFltErr
Weird! If I try in a different browser (when I'm not logged in) and even a different computer, I get the new site.

Wonder if they "roll out" based on IP address.
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I have the old site, also. Tried in multiple browsers.
If you want the new site, yet are getting the old, simply go to www.united.com/ual, or beta.united.com and voila, you'll get the new site.

If you do that, or just randomly get the new site, and want the old, scroll down to the bottom of the page, near the right side, click the link that says "Previous version of united.com", and it will take you back
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
If you do that, or just randomly get the new site, and want the old, scroll down to the bottom of the page, near the right side, click the link that says "Previous version of united.com", and it will take you back
Great tip, thanks!

I can't stand the design of the new site, it seems to take me several clicks to get the same information I used to get with one click. Hopefully they keep the old site up for a while.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
The new site looks fresh and new, but I not sure if I like the gray colored text. Would prefer black text rather than gray - better contrast.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I don't care what it looks like so long as the bloody thing works !
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Strangely I went to use online check-in just now using my MP # and PIN and it said "you have too many reservations, please use confirmation number"....not had that before.

And trying to check in my wife it shows up an old passport (despite the new one being in the profile) and even checking "will be using a different passport" does not give the option to either change or verify what it may be choosing as the "different passport".

All in all, pretty unimpressed with this today I have to say.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: 1k
Originally Posted by MattR23
I think this issue is fairly wide-spread. It was reported here recently. For me, it's saying I have 10 reservations when I only have 5.
haha.

Maybe I have the record? I have four reservations and it is showing I have 39.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by JBord
Great tip, thanks!

I can't stand the design of the new site, it seems to take me several clicks to get the same information I used to get with one click. Hopefully they keep the old site up for a while.
+1
Agree with you completely. It seems to be designed to make you do more clicks, and swamps you with too many (space and color)-hogging graphics.

It's like the Amazon site, which I find abysmally inefficient. Maybe they used the same web designer.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
It's important to remember that commercial Web sites aren't designed to let the user do what she wants as quickly and efficiently as possible. They are designed to maximize revenue for the owner.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Did I miss it or on multi-city there is no way to request only UA flights/metal?

Found it- under search preferences arrow drop down.

But I do not see the total minimum airfare- do I need to choose all my flights to find it?
And it sucks- does not give any flights on SYD-LAX (v,w) on May 6, 2016 when done as
multi-city but gives me on 1 way. Also no flights to UA metal to BAH from LAX, SFO,IAD
although showed up yesterday on old system. I think it is still a work in progress and another
"change you will like" (NOT)!

Last edited by zebranz; Aug 18, 2015 at 6:46 pm
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
"New" website running terribly slow

Might be me, might not. Last nite was looking at UA flights several months way;was on "old" website, it was running slower than usual, but OK. This morning went back in to continue the search, but on login it defaulted to the "new" (stylized) site. Running verrry slowwlly & wouldn't go to the Review Flight Summary page .. in fact, still chugging away as I write this in a new browser tab. At the moment happen to be in a condo in HI, but internet access to other URLs seems OK. So not sure if it's UA or my internet connection. Anyone else w/ similar problem on UA?

Tried again a couple of hours later. This time defaulted to old website. Put in flight search info, then waited, waited, waited! Hasn't connected to outgoing flight options. In the mean time Ms BH has booked an itinerary on HA. Go figure!!!!!!

Still later:UA Insider ... flight search on UA website still will not go beyond input of outbound&return dates. Been at least 30-40 min!!!!

Last edited by BH62; Aug 19, 2015 at 4:54 pm Reason: added later experience(s)
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by physioprof
It's important to remember that commercial Web sites aren't designed to let the user do what she wants as quickly and efficiently as possible. They are designed to maximize revenue for the owner.
If a user can't do it easily, they go away. Revenue down.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by dmodemd
If a user can't do it easily, they go away. Revenue down.
It's not black and white; it's a balance. The point is that there are other considerations driving commercial Web site design in addition to user preference, and this makes business sense for Web site owners.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:49 am

I noticed a few bugs this morning...

#1. On the homepage, it states that I have a lot more reservations than I actually have. Anyone have this issue?

#2. Also, I have this issue:

Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by physioprof
It's not black and white; it's a balance. The point is that there are other considerations driving commercial Web site design in addition to user preference, and this makes business sense for Web site owners.
I agree with your premise, and there may be some of that. I've only played a little on the new site so far. But one of the more annoying things is that I have to click extra times to get flight information that used to be more easily available. Fare class is an example, I have to click on the Details tab.

I can definitely see how some of the commercial aspects of the site have improved, such as making F fares more visible when searching for economy. But I feel like the overall design of the site is a little clunky now.

Honestly, if everything is still there and it all works it's not a huge deal to me.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edcho
I noticed a few bugs this morning...

#1. On the homepage, it states that I have a lot more reservations than I actually have. Anyone have this issue?

#2. Also, I have this issue:

A: #1: See about 8 posts above yours. Short answer=yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.