Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Functionality issues/questions with "New" (Fall 2015) United.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: physioprof
Originally Posted by Kmxu
If you want to use the old site, as mentioned upthread, you clear the cache and history on your browser and type in "ual.com". This should work.
As of Oct. 26, 2015 it no longer seems possible to access the old version of the website.

Related thread
Consolidated: Is united.com or parts of it down?

Workaround for Login & "We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request." Problems:

Close United tab, clear browser cache, and delete all United cookies. Instead of logging back in using the home page yellow tile, click on the "Reservations -> Change or view reservations" link, and then login using the "MileagePlus: Sign in or join" link on the upper right of the page.
Print Wikipost

Functionality issues/questions with "New" (Fall 2015) United.com

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2016, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by findark
I don't know exactly what you're searching, but if the lowest available Economy fare happens to be flexible then what you see is the intended website behavior.
I find it hard to believe that having a Lowest Fare moniker with "unavailable" is designed behavior.

If there is any fare available, there has to be a lowest fare available, no?
Old Apr 1, 2016, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I find it hard to believe that having a Lowest Fare moniker with "unavailable" is designed behavior.

Maybe "inflexible fare" or similar would be better? When basic-type fares roll out later this year it will be interesting to see how they handle this. Will there be a fourth column?

Sometimes I wish United had a Super Search that showed a column for each available fare class. However, this would add confusion. When booking domestic flights in Asia via Ctrip there are several fares shown with little explanation of the difference.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by atword
Maybe "inflexible fare" or similar would be better? When basic-type fares roll out later this year it will be interesting to see how they handle this. Will there be a fourth column?

Sometimes I wish United had a Super Search that showed a column for each available fare class. However, this would add confusion. When booking domestic flights in Asia via Ctrip there are several fares shown with little explanation of the difference.
I just wish there was a little bit more clarity/certainty with specific fare buckets and the search by fare bucket tool worked more reliably (perhaps if it did, if it would show a column for each searched fare bucket - may be a nice middle) ... i.e. in the old days of CO the only fare buckets I cared about when booking business travel were Y/B/F/A -- and these were always flexible/refundable. Now with the UPDI stuff I've seen refundable/flexible "A" fares returned for the same flight as nonflexible/penalty "F" fares. [Which irritates me to no end with the new PQM bonuses since the "F" fare is cheaper and earns more miles but I can't book by policy because it's a penalty fare]
Old Apr 1, 2016, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by goodeats21

I don't think it's a good UX choice, but I do believe that whoever wrote the code did intend it work that way (i.e. it's not a bug in OP's particular case).
Old Apr 2, 2016, 12:22 am

Anyone else having trouble booking a flight? After I select my outbound and return flights, I click on "Continue as guest" and it gives me an error: "The page encountered an error processing your request."

I can reproduce this error even if I search for a totally random flight with different origin and destination and dates, so it seems to be pretty widespread.

Strangely, I only get this error when I try booking with the USA website, and it works fine with the Canadian website.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM
My account has been frozen today for making reservations of any kind. I can access the reservations page fine as long as I am not logged in. But as soon as I log in, the reservations page is replaced with: "We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request."

I called 1K who connected me to web support. The issue was duplicated on three different machines with three different browsers. All the usual cookie/cache/etc clearing had no effect. The kicker: "There are only two people who can fix your account, they won't be in until Monday." What a 24/7 airline! Time for the three trips and $6000 I was about to spend to go elsewhere. [My plans are too complex and initially notional to call 1K reservations. I can do that after a couple hours of research, which I won't be doing...]
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ual1960
"We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request."
I've encountered this a few times this morning while looking at flight statuses.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 12:19 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by canadanewbie
Anyone else having trouble booking a flight? After I select my outbound and return flights, I click on "Continue as guest" and it gives me an error: "The page encountered an error processing your request."

I can reproduce this error even if I search for a totally random flight with different origin and destination and dates, so it seems to be pretty widespread.

Strangely, I only get this error when I try booking with the USA website, and it works fine with the Canadian website.
You are not alone when using the US versions of the website

Edite to add: while clicking on the option to book a round trip doesn't work , selecting the one way option and then choosing roundtrip from that page does work

Last edited by goalie; Apr 2, 2016 at 1:25 pm Reason: added content
Old Apr 2, 2016, 12:23 pm

Took me about 15 minutes earlier this morning to book two flights as the web site constantly error'd out. I am still waiting for the original confirmation emails. I just requested a receipt to be emailed for both reservations, and I received only one of them.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by altbg
Took me about 15 minutes earlier this morning to book two flights as the web site constantly error'd out. I am still waiting for the original confirmation emails. I just requested a receipt to be emailed for both reservations, and I received only one of them.
Zorched. Any browser, logged in or not, any attempt to make a reservation (one-way or round-trip):
Error

We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request.
Please try again later or contact Web Support in the U.S. and Canada at 1-888-491-6573, in the U.K. at 0800 028 5003 or elsewhere at the local phone number.
SMH.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I find it works if one uses "book a flight" on the home page versus "make a reservation" on one of the sub-pages.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP, FB Silver (former UA 1K)
Yes, had problems a few days ago. At first I couldn't get the reservation screen. Once I did, everything worked fine through the booking process and entering payment information. On the final mouse click to confirm all information, I received an error screen.

I called reservations and was transferred to web support. The agent had a heavy accent and was nearly unintelligible. After some struggles he was able to replicate the booking and price. United clearly has some IT bugs to work out.

Having to go through this process was annoying but only a minor inconvenience. The only thing that really aggravated me (aside from the difficulty in communication) was the agent's volunteering to waive the telephone booking fee as a courtesy. Really? The website bombs, forcing me to take the time to resolve the matter on the phone, and United is doing me a favor by not adding a gratuitous fee?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:45 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Virgin Australia
United Website Reservation Problems

Is anyone else having problems finding low fares on the united.com site? I've been trying to make reservations and find that there are no
Economy, lowest - fares showing. Only flexible. All prices shown for flexible are the same.This problem continues for every flight, no matter what day or time.
Can anyone shed light on this?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I ran into the same problem this weekend. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post26422101

I THINK it means that the lowest fare happens to be a flexible fare, so they are default to showing "not available" in the economy - lowest column.

Horrible design, if indeed that is the way they want their website to operate.

You can use a different interface (hipmunk, google flights) to confirm there is no lower United fare available then what is shown on United.com
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:53 am

Programs: UA Silver
Use www.kayak.com to find the low fares. I have not found hipmunk to be a worthwhile site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.