Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Functionality issues/questions with "New" (Fall 2015) United.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: physioprof
Originally Posted by Kmxu
If you want to use the old site, as mentioned upthread, you clear the cache and history on your browser and type in "ual.com". This should work.
As of Oct. 26, 2015 it no longer seems possible to access the old version of the website.

Related thread
Consolidated: Is united.com or parts of it down?

Workaround for Login & "We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request." Problems:

Close United tab, clear browser cache, and delete all United cookies. Instead of logging back in using the home page yellow tile, click on the "Reservations -> Change or view reservations" link, and then login using the "MileagePlus: Sign in or join" link on the upper right of the page.
Print Wikipost

Functionality issues/questions with "New" (Fall 2015) United.com

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
Most people complaining about the change want to stay stuck in the 1990's because it's comfortable.

When DL changed its website, it took many months before all the bugs were worked out. I'll bet 6 months from now, there will be subtle changes to the UA site that eliminates a lot of what people are complaining about now.
You're right. With Southwest, I still don't like the new site, but I am used to it. But searches are still able to be efficient. If they would fix the grid/search results I'd be placated since that's the bit that really sucks in the modernized look.

Of course, allowing a way to get to the efficient system until they make the fixes would be a nice gesture...

Originally Posted by linsj
Even with all the choices on the left side when looking for flights, I still have to click on details for a page or more to see exact options since I'm open to a variety of connecting cities and stopover times. I find this annoying and inefficient compared to the old site.
Exactly. It isn't that the look annoys me (although it does) it is just plain inefficient and difficult to use. Ugly I can live with. Inefficient I can't.

The Hipmunk mention has me curious -- are there better alternatives for searching? The come to UA to purchase?

I personally suspect I'll picking up the phone if I get frustrated during award searches.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Searching for award travel is horrible on the new site. Is there even a way to find *A partner flights anymore?
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: GS, Marriott Titanium LT, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Some functionality is missing, but I like to see the fares for different classes displayed. This is definetly an important improvement.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by semibizz
If you ask me, it was an outhouse project...
You just insulted outhouse owners

Can't see waitlist segments on my award reservation anymore

Old Oct 28, 2015, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by andyh64000

Searching for award travel is horrible on the new site. Is there even a way to find *A partner flights anymore?
See my post 10 before yours. Near impossible to do now.

UA wants you to spend UA miles on UA flights. Period.

Want to fly on classy Asian carriers .. .fergeddaboutit.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ozstamps
See my post 10 before yours. Near impossible to do now.

UA wants you to spend UA miles on UA flights. Period.

Want to fly on classy Asian carriers .. .fergeddaboutit.
What an awful website. I was searching for award availability lhr-phx today. Wow! What a cluster. There is no partner awards at all...if there is I can't find them on pages 1-4

The last thing I want to do is redeem miles over the pond on crappy UA metal. I only want to fly SK/LH/OS/AC. UA is the last choice always...Now I see that opportunity is gone.

Who in gods name would approve that new website? Look, I understand change and I embrace it when it's applicable. This new website is simply user unfriendly .
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by enviroian
This new website is simply user unfriendly .
#ShortTermProfitFriendly. Saves on (a) *A redemption and (b) programming expense. Downside is sacrifices the entire business in the long-term but for the oligopoly.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Hot damn just went back to run a search I've been trying for awhile. The calendar is a complete cluster -- dates with saver award are showing whited out, *A eviscerated. ....

Last edited by goalie; Oct 28, 2015 at 7:08 pm Reason: Using symbols to mask vulgarity
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
The last thing I want to do is redeem miles over the pond on crappy UA metal. I only want to fly SK/LH/OS/AC. UA is the last choice always...Now I see that opportunity is gone.
Funny, I'm actually following the prior "change I'll like" devaluation incentive structure and trying to find UA metal for an award, but it is difficult to find and to figure out. I keep getting partners (once I am able to figure out it is a partner). I may make a cheat sheet of the award amounts so I can tell by number of miles cost that gets displayed.

But it is proving so difficult I may just cave and use a partner (for a better experience but more miles).
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by abaheti
But it is proving so difficult I may just cave and use a partner (for a better experience but more miles).
And that's why it's worth it...
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
So many are unable to find what they are looking for on the new site. Perhaps the answer is to call a United reservation agent and ask them to find it for you. Pay the fee, if applicable, and have United pay in employee time for their website degradation.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by nycityny
So many are unable to find what they are looking for on the new site. Perhaps the answer is to call a United reservation agent and ask them to find it for you. Pay the fee, if applicable, and have United pay in employee time for their website degradation.
I mentioned this earlier today on this thread, and I am currently on the phone with an agent who says (purely anecdotally, not verified, of course) that she's received similar calls today from people with award searches and regular paid searches. A lot of that would go away as people get used to it, I guess, but the phone fee feels cheap vs the time I wasted yesterday as I make the poor agent step thru date after date after city after city.... or maybe I revert to award booking services even for simple ones just for my time value.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nova08
Agreed, I've gotten used to just repeatedly clicking "details" on most options. When booking a connection I book based on connection time, city, aircraft / F availability, etc. I'm not just going to blindly book a flight because it gets me to my final destination the earliest, only to find out it has a 40 min connection through ORD.
Or just use the filters to exclude those options.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nycityny
FWIW, in the past [before reaching plat] I've simply and politely made a comment like "I know normally there would be a fee for booking via the phone, but since I wasn't able to build/ticket this itinerary via the website, is there anything you can do?" and I've always had it waived. (granted that's like $25 on an average $1800 domestic ticket, so it doesn't really matter in the whole scheme of things)

Although (and slightly OT) I noticed a couple weeks ago that Plat/1K have "Discounted or waived phone service charge" but I can't find any definition of what exactly the discount or waiver is...
Old Oct 29, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: UA GS
I really thought they were going to completely redesign all aspects of the site beyond just the booking engine. The fact that they just ported all the other subpages over with a new skin is....quite lazy.

And leads to some ugly results (note how form boxes run all the way to the edge).

I wonder if they had plans to do so but just gave up halfway through?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.