Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Then subtract ill will from having provided this minimal benefit.
Subtract what?

I don't think Kirby believes that exists.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
UAX ORD-DCA flight operated by Republic Airline.

My 1K wife did not get upgraded. She did not mind it since it was a refreshments flight and she preferred the idea to get a free tapas box instead of two bags of chips (which is what I got in First Class)

When the FA comes with the drinks cart, my wife asks for a tapas box. The FA answers that there is no food since it's a short flight. My wife mentions to the FA that on that flight you are supposed to be able to purchase snacks. He then says that he will look if there's any tapas box left in the galley from another flight. Five minutes later the FA drops the tapas box on my wife's tray.

Just before that flight, we were on a UAX flight from our home airport to ORD. First time in 52 flights on a CR2 leaving our home airport or coming back to it that the flight was operated by Air Wisconsin. Flight is usually between 18 and 30 minutes wheels up-wheels down. Half of the time we get water, half of the time we get nothing. For this flight, prior to departing the gate the FA comes to our Exit row seats and says that since the flight is so short she wants to know what we want to eat and drink. Then, during the flight, she brought us two tapas boxes, a can of Coke and a can of club soda. The other passengers got water.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
UAX ORD-DCA flight operated by Republic Airline.

My 1K wife did not get upgraded. She did not mind it since it was a refreshments flight and she preferred the idea to get a free tapas box instead of two bags of chips (which is what I got in First Class)

When the FA comes with the drinks cart, my wife asks for a tapas box. The FA answers that there is no food since it's a short flight. My wife mentions to the FA that on that flight you are supposed to be able to purchase snacks. He then says that he will look if there's any tapas box left in the galley from another flight. Five minutes later the FA drops the tapas box on my wife's tray.

Just before that flight, we were on a UAX flight from our home airport to ORD. First time in 52 flights on a CR2 leaving our home airport or coming back to it that the flight was operated by Air Wisconsin. Flight is usually between 18 and 30 minutes wheels up-wheels down. Half of the time we get water, half of the time we get nothing. For this flight, prior to departing the gate the FA comes to our Exit row seats and says that since the flight is so short she wants to know what we want to eat and drink. Then, during the flight, she brought us two tapas boxes, a can of Coke and a can of club soda. The other passengers got water.
It always AMAZES me that some FAs manage to provide excellent service on flights where many others simply use the "this-flight-is-too-short" or "this-flight-is-too-turbulent" excuses, so they can peruse their iPhones...
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
You're giving Kirby too much credit...I still stand by my former assertion that he has/had no idea this benefit existed, and I was just waiting for the shoe to drop when he found out about it and made it a top priority to terminate.
I dunno. AA had this benefit for Exec Platinums well before United matched it.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Buy a lotto ticket
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA GS
Flew SFO-OGG and ordered a snack and a Mai Tai. Start drinking Mai Tai and a few seconds later the FA comes back and says the Mai Tai does not count for the 1K drink and I had to fork over $10. Is it true that the Mai Tai is extra? I was not charged for the snack.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ryder1650
Flew SFO-OGG and ordered a snack and a Mai Tai. Start drinking Mai Tai and a few seconds later the FA comes back and says the Mai Tai does not count for the 1K drink and I had to fork over $10. Is it true that the Mai Tai is extra? I was not charged for the snack.
I think you were incorrectly charged. Send a note to 1Kvoice w/ transaction number.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC

I think you were incorrectly charged. Send a note to 1Kvoice w/ transaction number.
Concur. Not even a grey area:

Please note that customers can request any alcoholic beverage except half-bottles of premium wines (375 mL).

Unless a mai tai has now been redefined as a "half bottle of premium wine" it is a bogus charge.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryder1650
A while ago I had a similar experience, although there was a different outcome:

Originally Posted by fumje
I just tried to get a mai tai on my flight back from the islands. The FA looked me up on the phone and tried to comp it, but 'the system' declined me. After some conference with the other FA, she decided to just give it to me and forget about logging it.

One off technology fail? Or are mai tai's supposed to be exempted from the 'free'? I think while consulting the other FA, she said she'd already comp'd one of the mai tai's for another passenger but didn't hear clearly.
Also seems others have had trouble:

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Same thing happened to a 1K seat mate a month ago. They also comped off book on that occasion.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Concur. Not even a grey area:

Unless a mai tai has now been redefined as a "half bottle of premium wine" it is a bogus charge.
I thought UA counted some of the premium spirits, like the mai tai, the Old Fashioned, and the previous Moscow Mule as a premium drink just like the wine split...making them ineligible as complimentary drinks. I know in the Moscow Mule days, that was called out in the menu...but haven't paid attention since.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

Even if it was correct to charge for the Mai Tai, the passenger should be informed of the charge before it's served (or comped). I might well have told the FA to take it back rather than pay the $.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I thought UA counted some of the premium spirits, like the mai tai, the Old Fashioned, and the previous Moscow Mule as a premium drink just like the wine split...making them ineligible as complimentary drinks. I know in the Moscow Mule days, that was called out in the menu...but haven't paid attention since.
I thought I remembered some exceptions (but I don't drink in flight more than maybe once or twice a year so haven't committed anything to memory) -- what I quoted above is the entirety of the exception listed on the 1K food/beverage page as of this morning

Last edited by lincolnjkc; Jun 25, 2019 at 12:43 pm Reason: Correcting Autocorrect
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I definitely had comped Moscow Mule many times with my cheeseburger.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
No, the Old Fashioned is comp-able, as was the Mule. It's only the premium wine split that requires payment.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
No, the Old Fashioned is comp-able, as was the Mule. It's only the premium wine split that requires payment.
Agree. I have never had to pay for either of these drinks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.