Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does UA *G get lounge access when flying Eurowings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
11 Feb 2019
Information for passengers departing with Eurowings:
  • Passengers who have booked a SMART or BEST fare and who have a Miles & More HON Circle Member or Senator card have access to Lufthansa Senator and Business Lounges on the day of their departure.
  • Passengers who have booked a SMART fare and who have a Miles & More Frequent Traveller card have access to Lufthansa Business Lounges on the day of their departure.
  • Passengers who have booked a BEST fare have access to Lufthansa Business Lounges on the day of their departure.
  • Passengers who have a Star Alliance Gold card only have access to Lufthansa’s Senator and Business Lounges if they are customers of United Airlines (UA) or All Nippon Airways (NH).
Originally Posted by FlyingPhD
The german version of the Lufthansa website clearly says that no fare restriction apply.

lufthansa.com/de/de/loungetypen-und-zugang

Gäste, die eine Star Alliance Gold Card besitzen, haben nur dann Zugang zu den Senator und Business Lounges der Lufthansa, wenn sie Kunden der Fluggesellschaften United Airlines (UA) und All Nippon Airways (NH) sind. Dies ist von dem gebuchten Tarif unabhängig.
" Dies ist von dem gebuchten Tarif unabhängig. " ==> "This is independent of the booked tariff (fare)"

older wording
[LH Lounge access] Advice for passengers who are departing with Eurowings:
  • Passengers have free access to the Lufthansa Senator and Business Lounges in Germany provided they have a Miles & More HON Circle Member or Senator Card.
  • Passengers who have booked the Eurowings BEST fare and Frequent Travellers who have booked the SMART fare are entitled to use the Lufthansa Business Lounges on the day of their flight.
  • Passengers who have a Star Alliance Gold Card, however, do not have access to the Lufthansa Lounges. Exceptions to this are the Star Alliance Gold Card customers of the airlines United Airlines (UA) and All Nippon Airways (NH), who receive access to Lufthansa’s Senator and Business Lounges.
  • Not confirmed, but plausible: Rules will change from March 26, 2017:
    Access to LH Lounge is only possible when departing on a SMART or BEST fare. BASIC fare does not entitle to lounge access.
Print Wikipost

Does UA *G get lounge access when flying Eurowings?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Just as a datapoint, I was admitted at both LHR and DUS on a Basic fare, but had to present my UA card on both occasions.

At DUS, there were two staff, and the senior one had to explain to the junior why I was allowed in.
thejaredhuang likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by FlyingPhD
United Premier Gold

I never have an issue in Germany, only in Zurich they will not let me in the lounge with a basic fare. They claim you need a smart fare. I guess that's the difference between a Lufthansa Senator lounge and a Swiss Senator lounge...
Did you ever manage to get into the LX lounge at ZRH with a Smart fare? The rules seem to not allow it. We have a flight on Friday and curious if you ever tried with a Smart fare.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: UA/Premier 1K, Bonvoy/Titanium
Data point from Mar 2019.

LHR to TXL on EW basic fare. Arrived >24 hours prior on UA, separate ticket.

Check-in agent said no lounge access (unprompted). Regardless, granted access to LH Senator lounge without questions by lounge agent.

1K and companion on the same PNR.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by German Expat
Did you ever manage to get into the LX lounge at ZRH with a Smart fare? The rules seem to not allow it. We have a flight on Friday and curious if you ever tried with a Smart fare.
No access in ZRH. It's not an LH Lounge.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by kohswisscheese
Data point from Mar 2019.

LHR to TXL on EW basic fare. Arrived >24 hours prior on UA, separate ticket.

Check-in agent said no lounge access (unprompted). Regardless, granted access to LH Senator lounge without questions by lounge agent.

1K and companion on the same PNR.
Was your companion no status? If so, nice to see that you can +1 as UA *G
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: UA 1K
To bring a companion without status has always worked for me as UA *G, even with Basic Ticket.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA/Premier 1K, Bonvoy/Titanium
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
Was your companion no status? If so, nice to see that you can +1 as UA *G
Yes, my companion had no status. LH lounge agent at LHR didn't bat an eyelid
Old May 25, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Got hassle free access to the SEN Lounge in NUE yesterday evening. Basic fare of course.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At CGN today I presented my EW Basic bp and my current 1k 1MM UA card. The agents consulted their handwritten book which stated that UA Gold and Platinum were permitted on a Basic fare but not 1K. After some escalation and also evidence that 1K was higher than Gold and Platinum, they let me in, but only as a gesture of goodwill.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriot Platinum, LH FTl, Hertz PC
There's still a lot of hassle regarding LH lounge access in Germany with a Eurowings ticket. I'm doing around 20 EW flights/year and discussion with lounge staff are mostly guaranteed in Hamburg and Duesseldorf. Even though LH lounge admission rules clearly state that UA and ANA Gold (or higher) are allowed they act differently. In Hamburg they had a handwritten supervisor advise saying that UA Gold travellers are not allowed EVEN even with a basic ticket. The supervisor who created the writeup wasn't obviously able to get the difference of Basic and Smart fare, or the meaning of the word 'even'. If you want to overcome discussions I made good experience with showing the LH official guidelines, the last paragraph is essentiell:

German version (just in case...)
https://www.lufthansa.com/de/de/loungetypen-und-zugang

English version:
https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/lounge-types-and-access

The discussion usually goes like that: you are not allowed to go in because you have a non eligible EW ticket, then I reply that LH access rules say that this is not relevant for UA gold (or higher), they reply that they know the rules, then I present the URL, usually they accept and say that didn't know that exception. In Hamburg, the discussion is the same except that they say we have different instructions, and if you ask for more details, they present the handwritten instruction I mentioned. Then you should ask for the supervisor who has written the instruction (or any other supervisor) and ask for his name because you want to follow up with LH.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:17 am
Suspended

Funny. I have never had a problem anywhere, though admittedly I've never bought a Basic fare.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At CGN they knew the UA exception, they didn’t know that 1K was higher than Gold or Platinum and the handwritten instruction didn’t tell them that. Gold and Platinum on Basic fares get in, 1K doesn’t.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
So "wenn sie Kunden der Fluggesellschaften United Airlines (UA) und All Nippon Airways (NH) sind" is being interpreted as "when the *G card is issued by those airlines"? That's interesting, since I'm not sure it would be my first reading of that, or especially the English ("customers of United Airlines (UA) or All Nippon Airways (NH)"). I'm not a native German speaker though, so I'm not sure what the likely connotations are of "Kunden".
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Funny. I have never had a problem anywhere, though admittedly I've never bought a Basic fare.
This. I always buy Smart fares, and have never once been questioned or refused entry.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by findark
So "wenn sie Kunden der Fluggesellschaften United Airlines (UA) und All Nippon Airways (NH) sind" is being interpreted as "when the *G card is issued by those airlines"? That's interesting, since I'm not sure it would be my first reading of that, or especially the English ("customers of United Airlines (UA) or All Nippon Airways (NH)"). I'm not a native German speaker though, so I'm not sure what the likely connotations are of "Kunden".
Your first sentence is correct. Both the German and English statements on the website are correct (and identical) but the use of the words Kunde and customer is misleading in both. It should be made clear, in that case, that the cards were issues by MileagePlus, etc. But another interpretation isn't really possible since in this case you are a EW customer in the ticket sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.