FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Does UA *G get lounge access when flying Eurowings? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1739303-does-ua-g-get-lounge-access-when-flying-eurowings.html)

mherdeg Jan 15, 2016 1:26 pm

Does UA *G get lounge access when flying Eurowings?

I just saw that Lufthansa subsidiary EW is offering €300 round trips on transatlantic routes like CGN-BOS (summer 2016, A330 with coach + premium economy). I was very surprised to see that EW provides PQM to people accruing to MileagePlus: https://www.united.com/cms/en-us/mar...spx?itemid=668 .

Does anyone know whether you get LH / *A lounge access when flying EW and presenting UA *G/1K/GS credentials? I remember there is some kind of special carveout for 4U/UA *G, not sure about EW.

lhrsfo Jan 15, 2016 1:40 pm

There was a thread on this with extensive experiences (when it was called Germanwings, but still with the code 4U) last year. Experiences varied but, for me, there was no problem in either DUS or LHR.

mherdeg Jan 15, 2016 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 26024630)
There was a thread on this with extensive experiences (when it was called Germanwings, but still with the code 4U) last year. Experiences varied but, for me, there was no problem in either DUS or LHR.

Huh. I thought this was actually a different subsidiary! Germanwings (4U) still exists according to UA ( https://www.united.com/cms/en-us/mar...spx?itemid=625 ). As far as I can tell, Eurowings (EW) is a different subsidiary; it looks like their BOS-CGN flight is a wet-lease operated by Sunexpress on behalf of Eurowings.

But -- wait -- did EW take over all of the 4U routes? Are they just 4U again?!

br2k Jan 15, 2016 2:11 pm

Yes, it does but only for United MP customers (apparently a special deal), not for other *G programs, tested just a few weeks ago. Also states so on United Germanwings page. The flight I was on was marketed as Germanwings but flown by Eurowings. As far as I can tell, they are treated as one and the same for all purposes.

As an aside, they also admitted my kids with me to the lounge (stating that family members are welcome above and beyond the "1 guest"), but I suspect that that part was due to a nice attendant on duty (many thanks).

cfischer Jan 16, 2016 10:38 am

With EW taking over from 4U it is indeed an important question that I wish UA would clarify. Agreed it is one and the same, but then again it is not. I am toying with a complicated ,multi-segment' trip to Europe this summer and some of the options have EW flights, although I guess for C-class it is inconsequential.

Kacee Jan 16, 2016 10:57 am

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 26028220)
I guess for C-class it is inconsequential.

Means the difference between SEN and BUS lounge.

EnvoyBoy Jan 16, 2016 12:50 pm

I fly them all the time within Europe and never had a problem accessing the LH lounges, both within and without Germany.

mduell Jan 16, 2016 1:41 pm

Eurowings is not a *A member or affiliate; Lufthansa Regional, Lufthansa CityLine, and Air Dolomiti are.

JVPhoto Jan 16, 2016 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 26029064)
Eurowings is not a *A member or affiliate; Lufthansa Regional, Lufthansa CityLine, and Air Dolomiti are.

But Germanwings is a United partner. Until the crash it was going to be Germanwings for inside Europe and Eurowings for longer flights.
From what I gathered after the crash they were planning (is it still in the process, reverted, limbo?) to rebrand everything as Eurowings.

Going to germanwings.com it loads and changes the URL and page to Eurowings.

From the site:
Take advantage of global Eurowings flights!

The Eurowings brand is the newly established, independent low-cost airline group modelled on its successful partner Germanwings. Since Autumn 2015, this partner airline has been offering flights within Europe and to attractive long-haul destinations.

Lufthansa has established its new point-to-point brand with the new Eurowings: The new Eurowings group aims to become one of the top three low-cost providers in Europe with non-stop flights both within Europe and on intercontinental flights from Europe. Eurowings offers three fares (BASIC, SMART, BEST) on European and long-haul flights

TA Jan 16, 2016 3:10 pm

So many minor partners to keep track of, and so many complications/exceptions! I have a feeling that part of the benefit of low cost carriers splitting off from the parent is that they do not have to pay the lounge access fee to partners.

I have been denied from Air China lounge when flying one of their multitude of domestic partners (Shenzhen/Kunming Air), as well as Singapore lounge when flying Silk Air (which you would consider not so far from SQ in terms of service level).

JVPhoto Jan 16, 2016 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by TA (Post 26029408)
So many minor partners to keep track of, and so many complications/exceptions! I have a feeling that part of the benefit of low cost carriers splitting off from the parent is that they do not have to pay the lounge access fee to partners.

I have been denied from Air China lounge when flying one of their multitude of domestic partners (Shenzhen/Kunming Air), as well as Singapore lounge when flying Silk Air (which you would consider not so far from SQ in terms of service level).

Shenzen is part of *A.
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...spx?ItemId=577

cfischer Jan 16, 2016 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 26028309)
Means the difference between SEN and BUS lounge.

that's a fair point. I would assume though if I get in w/ SAG on the BP they would let me in the SEN part ... hmmm, interesting

adambisi Jan 17, 2016 7:18 am

Originally Posted by mherdeg (Post 26024561)
I just saw that Lufthansa subsidiary EW is offering €300 round trips on transatlantic routes like CGN-BOS (summer 2016, A330 with coach + premium economy). I was very surprised to see that EW provides PQM to people accruing to MileagePlus: https://www.united.com/cms/en-us/mar...spx?itemid=668 .

Does anyone know whether you get LH / *A lounge access when flying EW and presenting UA *G/1K/GS credentials? I remember there is some kind of special carveout for 4U/UA *G, not sure about EW.

Not to stray off topic - but would want to warn you that those fares are for Europe-originating pax only (may or may not apply to you) and they only allow connections in CGN from Germany, VIE, and ZRH.

EnvoyBoy Jan 17, 2016 8:50 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 26029159)
But Germanwings is a United partner. Until the crash it was going to be Germanwings for inside Europe and Eurowings for longer flights.
From what I gathered after the crash they were planning (is it still in the process, reverted, limbo?) to rebrand everything as Eurowings.

In December I was told the same thing by GW FA. It's all going to be branded as EW.

I've flown both EW and GW this fall and never had a problem with lounge access.

JVPhoto Jan 24, 2016 3:38 am

BP I have right now for TXL-LHR says "Eurowings operated by Germanwings (4U)"

No Priority line check in which I figured since it only has the LH group elite listings.

Showed my BP and 1K card at the SEN lounge. She didn't bat an eye or even swipe my card, just scanned my BP.