Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
This thread is for general RPU usage questions. ---- Previous Thread was Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Questions like "will my upgrade clear" are better placed in
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2016]
How often do your RPUs clear?

General comments on utility / value are better placed in
My new United Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) strategy

Regional Premier® Upgrades (RPUs) are one-way, one-cabin, space available confirmable upgrades as early as the time of ticketing on eligible UA/UX and Copa Airlines-operated flights. They can be used on any fare and any flight that is also CPU eligible and on PS flights. This includes some Oceania and some COPA South America flights. They are generally not usable on flights outside of North America -- see upgrade region chart for details.

PS and non-west coast Hawaii flights are considered one of the better uses of RPUs since those flights are not CPU eligible and since elites are subject to copays on mileage upgrades.

RPUs are earned by elites -- (Re-)qualifying for Premier Platinum earns 2 RPU for the rest of the year, all of the next year and then thru 31 January of the following year. Re-)qualifying for Premier 1K earns 2 more RPUs and you can then earn 2 more RPUs for each additional 25K PQMs.
Unlike GPUs, UA does not offer an extension of unused and about to expire RPUs.

2MM, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for Platinum in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs deposited into their account around mid-January. 3MM+, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for 1K in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs deposited into their account around mid-January.

RPUs can be used for other individuals / friends / family but the upgrade priority is based on the status of the flyer, not the earning elite.

RPUs require PZ space (formerly R) to clear (except for GS RPUs which clear into PN space). For a given flight, RPU /GPU or Mileage+Copay have the same waitlist priority -- what does matter is passenger Status then Fare Class and then the time of the request. For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown - no exception. Miles and GPUs have an exception if the waitlisted International BF/GF (now called Polaris business / first) does not clear, the miles/GPU will be returned -- this does not apply to RPUs. Recent changes in the rules make it clear there is no exception for PS routes.

Note on most RPU routes, a "connection" needs to be under 4 hours (longer only if it is the next scheduled flight) or a single RPU will not apply. This standard stopover definition for North American flights.

A single RPU (or GPU or Miles+copay) can not be applied to flights on different PNRs (or for different carriers even on the same PNR).
Print Wikipost

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xkr0p
I am flying PHL-ORD-LAS-SFO-PHL. Yes a mileage run lol. I am just curious if certain legs do not clear do you get a refund? In the past when I've had GPU's applied and the longest legs didn't clear, they would always refund it. But I am not sure if the same applies with RPU's. So lets say some legs clear but not the long SFO-PHL flight, is there any chance? Just wondering...
In this case if any leg clears the RPU is considered used. The only ambiguity is on formerly-p.s. (EWR <> SFO/LAX, now BOS <> SFO?) routes.

If you want to preserve the RPU if, for example, SFO-PHL doesn't clear, you can request it only be applied to certain legs. That has to be done by phone, though.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fumje
In this case if any leg clears the RPU is considered used. The only ambiguity is on formerly-p.s. (EWR <> SFO/LAX, now BOS <> SFO?) routes.

If you want to preserve the RPU if, for example, SFO-PHL doesn't clear, you can request it only be applied to certain legs. That has to be done by phone, though.
Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by fumje

CAUTION! CAUTION! A few weeks ago a m/r that included BOS-LAX-LAS. I purposly removed the LAX-LAS portion RPU from the itin.

BOS-LAX didn't clear and the LAX-LAS did via the CPU route. Waited the mandatory days that res advised, after a few calls, and still not returned. So I spent over 2 hours on the horn, on Thanksgiving Day with MP debating whether I in fact applied the RPU for BOTH legs, which included an RJ (wide open up front) on the last leg. Neither of us would budge, on my part not because I wanted an RPU returned that was going to expire in 10 weeks, but rather because I was getting jerked around. She was pretty cool, but being trained by the "Always say NO" Houston group she wasn't going to budge, and neither was I. She very nicely asked if I wanted to elevate this matter and I said, "YES". After over 45 mins on the phone, waiting for a supervisor, I hung up as the drumstick getting cold. After the pie, I checked and lo and behold the RPU was returned and an half-apologetic e-mail was sent to me, by her, to inform me the I had received a ONE TIME exemption/exception, but to never pull this caper again, or something like that.

I probably have a huge red flag somewhere in my Friendly-Skies folder apprising every agent to be on the look-out for this RPU double-dipper!

Watch EVERYTHING like a hawk and don't fall for the ol' "Otto will take care of everything in a few days", trick!!!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Two Bee
CAUTION! CAUTION! A few weeks ago a m/r that included BOS-LAX-LAS. I purposly removed the LAX-LAS portion RPU from the itin.

BOS-LAX didn't clear and the LAX-LAS did via the CPU route. Waited the mandatory days that res advised, after a few calls, and still not returned. So I spent over 2 hours on the horn, on Thanksgiving Day with MP debating whether I in fact applied the RPU for BOTH legs, which included an RJ (wide open up front) on the last leg. Neither of us would budge, on my part not because I wanted an RPU returned that was going to expire in 10 weeks, but rather because I was getting jerked around. She was pretty cool, but being trained by the "Always say NO" Houston group she wasn't going to budge, and neither was I. She very nicely asked if I wanted to elevate this matter and I said, "YES". After over 45 mins on the phone, waiting for a supervisor, I hung up as the drumstick getting cold. After the pie, I checked and lo and behold the RPU was returned and an half-apologetic e-mail was sent to me, by her, to inform me the I had received a ONE TIME exemption/exception, but to never pull this caper again, or something like that.

I probably have a huge red flag somewhere in my Friendly-Skies folder apprising every agent to be on the look-out for this RPU double-dipper!

Watch EVERYTHING like a hawk and don't fall for the ol' "Otto will take care of everything in a few days", trick!!!
Oh I did this for a trip in January. Applied the RPU to KOA-LAX but not LAX-SAN. Do you think it would be advisable to take a screen shot of the current reservation? As F is fully booked I very much doubt the RPU will stick but suspect I will get the CPU for the LAX-SAN leg.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Two Bee

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Oh I did this for a trip in January. Applied the RPU to KOA-LAX but not LAX-SAN. Do you think it would be advisable to take a screen shot of the current reservation? As F is fully booked I very much doubt the RPU will stick but suspect I will get the CPU for the LAX-SAN leg.
FWIW, I had a similar situation — RPU applied to only the long segment and not the short, long did not clear, short CPU'd — and it took only three minutes on the phone to get the certificate redeposited. However it's definitely worth taking a screenshot of the reservation with the upgrade request status. I was apprehensive that I might have a situation like Two Bee did and pleasantly surprised not to get any pushback or (cold drumsticks).

Enjoy the 25m CPU.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If you get a partially used RPU return, you are lucky. The posted rules are clear and there is no reason to think you should get an exception.

A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown
There is no Polaris segment exception because RPUs cannot be on a Polaris marketed segment.

If you don't want an RPU wasted on a short segment, call and apply only on the longer segment.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
That is an excellent idea, and I wish I would have done so.

If I wasn't so persistent I would have lost the battle. Knowing some of the catch phrases and explaining that after all these years, and sitting on 3MM BIS's, I know what I applied and what I DID NOT apply to the itin.

It was right up there with a "five finger discount" of all their life savers from the club.

After I was finished, it really did spoil my Thanksgiving dinner in DEN with the family. MY fault, but once the call got started I wasn't going to let go!
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
I called recently to un-apply SFO-LAX of SFO-LAX-OGG and was told that in cases where you go out of the lower 48, the RPU is returned if the overwater leg doesn't clear. This was after a lengthy hold with reservations talking to MileagePlus. I found some anecdotal cases of the RPU being returned if the Hawaii leg didn't clear. Who knows if this is actually the rule but the agent seemed pretty specific on the conditions.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JAaronT
I called recently to un-apply SFO-LAX of SFO-LAX-OGG and was told that in cases where you go out of the lower 48, the RPU is returned if the overwater leg doesn't clear. This was after a lengthy hold with reservations talking to MileagePlus. I found some anecdotal cases of the RPU being returned if the Hawaii leg didn't clear. Who knows if this is actually the rule but the agent seemed pretty specific on the conditions.
Well if you figure out how to cite the recording you're good to go.

This 'rule' has been floated in the past, but as with any contract, in absence of official writ I would not bank on it.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Flying UA 712, IAD-SFO, on 1/1/18, debating whether or not to apply an RPU. Current fares are: F9, A9, JN9, C9,D9, Z9, ZN9, P9. Seat map has 11 open seats in F.

I'll clear 1K on 12/24/17, so I'm expecting to have the status before 12/28/17 (T-96). I'm thinking of doing the following. Nothing until T-96, and hoping I clear then. If I don't clear at T-96, applying an RPU and going from there. Thoughts on this approach? Would any of you do anything differently? I'm 15 days away from departure...can't imagine that too many more of the F seats will sell before TOD?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Flying UA 712, IAD-SFO, on 1/1/18, debating whether or not to apply an RPU. Current fares are: F9, A9, JN9, C9,D9, Z9, ZN9, P9. Seat map has 11 open seats in F.
I would apply the RPU. What else are you going to use it for?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I would apply the RPU. What else are you going to use it for?
Doesn't expire until 2019, so tbd.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Doesn't expire until 2019, so tbd.
It's a rhetorical question. They're next to worthless for me.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a rhetorical question. They're next to worthless for me.
Okay, you talked me into it! On the waitlist
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:32 pm

Okay, you talked me into it! On the waitlist
Good luck!

I'm not sure that any of my 6 2017 RPU went to flights that I would not have otherwise CPU'ed. Gotta burn 'em somehow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.