Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Gold, AA Gold
Wow!

Been flying a lot of p.s. breakfast flights (have had that herbed cream cheese omelette more times than I can count) lately, and a lot of ORD-SFO (spinach quiche FTW) but last night I had the pleasure of LGA-ORD in F at dinner time. Except for the fact that the flight was diverted to MKE due to storms in ORD (wouldn't let us deplane and we eventually got home 3 hours late), I was really pleasantly surprised with the meal.

Choices were tonkatsu breaded chicken breast and rice, or "spanish-style seafood paella". Went with the seafood paella, though my neighbor's breaded chicken breast seemed to have a curry sauce with it and smelled pretty good. My paella wasn't really seafood - had only one (really tasty not overcooked) shrimp, but also a lot of chicken breast (not too dry), and sausage. But the rice was seasoned nicely and overall this was the best short haul entree I've had in a while. Would definitely get this again, and was glad for the meal when the folks in Y were pretty hungry as the flight time stretched long with the diversion.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bluepig1
my neighbor's breaded chicken breast seemed to have a curry sauce with it and smelled pretty good. My paella wasn't really seafood - had only one (really tasty not overcooked) shrimp, but also a lot of chicken breast (not too dry), and sausage. But the rice was seasoned nicely and overall this was the best short haul entree I've had in a while. Would definitely get this again, and was glad for the meal when the folks in Y were pretty hungry as the flight time stretched long with the diversion.
This is great info, thanks! I'm not a seafood fan and can usually stomach about one shrimp... but if the paella is mostly chicken/sausage, then I'm good.

But I have to say, picking it over the chicken katsu would be hard... that chicken is GOOD, and the sauce is delicious (whatever it may be!)
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
For a change?!

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Not dry at all. I was surprised how juicy and tender it was. It was actually quite good for a change.
I've never regretted ordering the tamale chicken breast -- the one thing on the menu I could eat every week without complaint.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lt Plt
FLL-IAH
Mar 29

PDB
Snack selection (chips, chocolate, fruit, roasted chickpeas)
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lt Plt
IAH-LAX
Mar 29 Dinner

PDB
Hot towel
Nuts

Arugula salad with quinoa and selection of chicken breast with rice and green beans or seafood stew.
Cookie
Old Apr 2, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Been flying a lot of p.s. breakfast flights (have had that herbed cream cheese omelette more times than I can count) lately, and a lot of ORD-SFO (spinach quiche FTW) but last night I had the pleasure of LGA-ORD in F at dinner time. Except for the fact that the flight was diverted to MKE due to storms in ORD (wouldn't let us deplane and we eventually got home 3 hours late), I was really pleasantly surprised with the meal.

Choices were tonkatsu breaded chicken breast and rice, or "spanish-style seafood paella". Went with the seafood paella, though my neighbor's breaded chicken breast seemed to have a curry sauce with it and smelled pretty good. My paella wasn't really seafood - had only one (really tasty not overcooked) shrimp, but also a lot of chicken breast (not too dry), and sausage. But the rice was seasoned nicely and overall this was the best short haul entree I've had in a while. Would definitely get this again, and was glad for the meal when the folks in Y were pretty hungry as the flight time stretched long with the diversion.
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
This is great info, thanks! I'm not a seafood fan and can usually stomach about one shrimp... but if the paella is mostly chicken/sausage, then I'm good.

But I have to say, picking it over the chicken katsu would be hard... that chicken is GOOD, and the sauce is delicious (whatever it may be!)
These were the choices on our recent flight. We both had the chicken dish. The FA described it as curry, but the sauce was more of a satay (peanut) sauce. Pretty tasty, actually, but not much spice to it.

Was the paella spicy? I, too, am not a big seafood eater, but one shrimp with chicken and sausage (chorizo?) I can take.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Michilander
Was the paella spicy? I, too, am not a big seafood eater, but one shrimp with chicken and sausage (chorizo?) I can take.
The paella was not spicy, and the sausage seemed to be a hybrid between polish sausage and chorizo (and was not spicy either).
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
The paella was not spicy, and the sausage seemed to be a hybrid between polish sausage and chorizo (and was not spicy either).
Thanks. I would not mind spicy at all, but my wife will be glad to know this as it gives her an option.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Denver-Atlanta
United 1444
A319
2:24p-7:32p (sked)
2:24p-7:05p (actual)
April 3, 2016
Lunch

Off to The Masters Sunday afternoon with an excellent DEN-based crew but what a piece of garbage is United's A319. Two rows of First and with a last minute booking, I was relegated to 1F. Terrible legroom and spotty Wifi and no power. It was better than Y and Delta which wanted ridiculous 4 figure prices for an F ticket. Yikes.

Meal orders were taken by status.
Fortunately, all the 1Ks chose the dopey chicken salad while the rest of us had the delicious hot cilantro chicken sandwich.

As usual for me and United, I eat the salad after the main using the main dish instead of the dopey small salad bowl.

The always great baked-on-board chocolate chip cookie, so much better than USdbaAA's disgusting warmed-on-board Chips Ahoy cookie.

Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
On two flights last week I've been served nuts that included cashew halves and substantial chunks. Not quite whole cashews but nevertheless an enhancement I DO approve of!
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Been flying a lot of p.s. breakfast flights ....

Choices were tonkatsu breaded chicken breast and rice, or "spanish-style seafood paella". Went with the seafood paella, though my neighbor's breaded chicken breast seemed to have a curry sauce with it and smelled pretty good. ...
I've had the tonkatsu breaded chicken many times before on regular (non-p.s.) flights - so are the offerings the same for p.s. and non-p.s.?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Atlanta-Denver
United 710
A320
7:51p-9:15p (sked)
8:45p-9:50p (actual)
April 4, 2016
Dinner

Back from the Masters Monday afternoon with the same excellent DEN-based crew as the day before. Wifi again not working. Choice of "shrimp paella" or some type of chicken and rice dish. Paella was excellent although only one shrimp with some chicken and chorizo. Same salad as yesterday's lunch. And the usual yummy chocolate chip cookie.

Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
April 7, Thursday
UA 762 IAD-IAH
B739-900

Choice of french toast strata or quiche. Quiche served with two sausage links and grilled tomato. Also came with small bowl of fruit and biscuit or cinnamon roll. French toast came with large fruit plate and geek yogurt.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
French toast came with large fruit plate and geek yogurt.
Geek yogurt is reserved for FTers.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
April 6
UA1923
EWR-MIA (dinner)

Got CPU'ed a few hours ahead of the flight, so toned down on scarfing down lots of food at the UC ahead of time.

It was good to be back on a flight with properly-catered Goose IPA

Meal choices were between tandoori chicken and seafood stew. The stew looked okay (just glancing over at what other people got), but I decided to try this out. There wasn't enough curry sauce, and I was a bit confused by why paneer was included, but it was decent. The chicken had excellent flavoring, but it was slightly offset by being quite dry. The quinoa bowl was a nice chance of pace (as was having lemon vinaigrette).

Birthday cookies! They were pretty plain shortbread, nothing too special.

The better cookie was served as we began our initial descent. Warmed up just the right amount.

April 8
UA1527
MIA-EWR (breakfast)

Choice was between an omelet or stone-cut oatmeal. Went with the former, and it turned out to be identical to the pre-arrival meal served on my EWR-NRT flight a couple weeks ago. I liked the omelet because it has a bit of heat from the pepper. This was a little less cheesy but still delicious. The sausage was of better quality on this flight, but still nothing big to write home about. Croissant or cinnamon roll was also passed around (I went with the croissant).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.