Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2016, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fivesixseven
EWR to LAX: chicken with shaved fennel, salad with roasted pumpkin and a choice of short ribs, tarbot or pasta.
Thanks for the feedback. Assuming this is dinner, what's lunch like?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by fivesixseven
EWR to LAX: chicken with shaved fennel, salad with roasted pumpkin and a choice of short ribs, tarbot or pasta.
I had that menu on a dinner p.s. flight (EWR-SFO). The pasta that was quoted was a duck confit ravioli with a mushroom ragout and asparagus.

It wasn't great. Expected at least some shredded duck, but the ravioli filling seemed to be 95% cheese and overall it was a fairly dry dish (the mushroom ragout didn't provide enough sauce to prevent that). The turbot and short rib options looked much better, in retrospect.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 18, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by bluepig1
... overall it was a fairly dry dish (the mushroom ragout didn't provide enough sauce to prevent that).
I've found lack of enough sauce to be a problem in general with pasta dishes on both UA and AA. At least to my taste.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Thanks for the feedback. Assuming this is dinner, what's lunch like?
It was lunch. (But, apparently, dinner is the same menu.)
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
UA 1958 SFO-IAH United First
B739
2016/04/18
Quiche
Attached Images  

Last edited by jazzhou; Oct 13, 2016 at 10:34 pm
Old Apr 19, 2016, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
UA 250, PDX-IAD, Mon 18 Apr -- my wife (non status, paid F) reported that the FA offered a choice of an omelet or French toast for breakfast; she chose French toast (as did the passenger in the aisle seat next to her) ... FA returned, delivered an omelet to the other psgr, and told her my wife that she now had a choice of corn flakes or raisin bran since they were completely out of hot entrees

apparently the FA was able to snag a for-purchase hot breakfast item from Y and re-plate it with the F accompaniments, but service paused for a stretch of turbulence and she didn't actually get to eat until about half an hour later
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by jazzhou
UA 1958 SFO-IAH United First
B739
2016/04/18
Quiche

Not bad.
Agreed - always a tough choice between the quiche and French toast in the mornings.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Agreed - always a tough choice between the quiche and French toast in the mornings.
Love the quiche and salsiccia!
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: AC SE
YYC-DEN morning flights?

Any recent experiences with YYC-DEN? It's 898 miles, and block time for an upcoming flight is 2h27 mins. Is meal service determined based on mileage or block time now?

When the meal cutoff was 900 miles, this route didn't get a meal. Then the cutoff was moved to 800 miles and the meals returned. Is the meal cutoff still based on mileage, or is it now based on block time? Scheduled time on this flight used to be over 2.5 hours, but is now shorted to 2h 27 min.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by gcashin
Any recent experiences with YYC-DEN? It's 898 miles, and block time for an upcoming flight is 2h27 mins. Is meal service determined based on mileage or block time now?

When the meal cutoff was 900 miles, this route didn't get a meal. Then the cutoff was moved to 800 miles and the meals returned. Is the meal cutoff still based on mileage, or is it now based on block time? Scheduled time on this flight used to be over 2.5 hours, but is now shorted to 2h 27 min.
since beginning of the year (caterer change), the morning flight from YYC doesn't get breakfast just the snack. blocktime was still 2:45 then. After complaints they just shortened the block time. The lunch time and evening flights either direction when they have a mainline plane still get a real meal.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
UA797, LAX-SJD
Cajun Shrimp with polenta

It was much better than the beef provencal that was the other option, however, the polenta didn't have the same texture as polenta, but rather whipped corn by-product.

Additionally, we were delayed on UA797 because there was a question as to whether the return would be catered in Los Cabos, or would we have to wait for catering at LAX to show up with the meals. But, the most interesting part of the meal service was that the FAs started the drinks service as we crossed the US-Mexico border, and they started serving the meals about 1/3 of the way down the Baja. We never received dessert because the FAs mis-timed the service and had just finished heating up the cookies as we were making the turn to line up for final (and one could see the runway and San Jose), so they had to scurry around at the last minute to collect trays that had not been collected.

UA798, SJD-LAX
Chicken with rice

This was inedible. The chicken was stringy and could not be cut with the standard utensils issued. Also, the food was cold.

Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
since beginning of the year (caterer change), the morning flight from YYC doesn't get breakfast just the snack. blocktime was still 2:45 then. After complaints they just shortened the block time. The lunch time and evening flights either direction when they have a mainline plane still get a real meal.
Thanks for the info. Wow - yeah, that is disappointing and pretty sneaky how they seem to have shortened the block time on the morning flight so that they don't have to provide a meal.

At 898 miles, would YYC-DEN be the longest mainline flight without a meal service?

Interesting how they expanded the meal cutoff to 800+ mile flights last year with much fanfare and have now taken meals away from some of those flights.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by gcashin
Thanks for the info. Wow - yeah, that is disappointing and pretty sneaky how they seem to have shortened the block time on the morning flight so that they don't have to provide a meal.

At 898 miles, would YYC-DEN be the longest mainline flight without a meal service?

Interesting how they expanded the meal cutoff to 800+ mile flights last year with much fanfare and have now taken meals away from some of those flights.
Yes, I do DEN-YYC-DEN 30-40 times a year and it really upset me. Especially as it is pretty hard to get hot food before the 5:30am boarding. Sandwiches in the lounge are the best alternative.
GS finally explained that it was caused by the caterer change.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Today's "breakfast" on UA 899 ORD - LAS. Had choice of cheese enchilada or cheese enchilada (only 1 choice catered apparently) - hope picture comes out right trying to figure out iPhone versus FT photo issues.... Didn't enjoy meal at all and my heart attack on a plate scone on first flight at 6am was way better....
Attached Images  
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:20 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Today's "breakfast" on UA 899 ORD - LAS. Had choice of cheese enchilada or cheese enchilada (only 1 choice catered apparently) - hope picture comes out right trying to figure out iPhone versus FT photo issues.... Didn't enjoy meal at all and my heart attack on a plate scone on first flight at 6am was way better....
I'm on the 1235 pm ORD-LAS tomorrow. Trying to switch to 899. Perhaps I should stick to the lunch flight if that is my only option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.