Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earn more PQMs for premium cabin travel starting in 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Starting January 1, 2016, you’ll earn more Premier qualifying miles (PQMs) for full-fare and discounted First or Business – up to double the current rate. The higher PQM rates go into effect for flights starting January 1, 2016 regardless of booking date.

New 2016 PQM Earning for United and United Express:

Full-fare First or Business (F, J): 300% (Currently 150%)
Discounted First or Business (A, C, D, Z, P): 200% (Currently 150%)
Full-fare Economy (Y, B): 150% (No Change)
Discounted Economy (M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N): 100% (No Change)

Please check back shortly for full details regarding this change at mileageplusupdates.com. In addition to United and United Express operated flights, PQM earnings for select Star Alliance partners are also increasing.

Thank you,

-UA Insider
This change does not impact PQS.

UA Insider
Hi everyone. For clarification, there are no changes to the PQD credit card waiver.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
This is great for me, as I always buy F seats! And these new PQM earning rates are already programmed in to the "Accruals for this trip" function in the United app. For example, I've got an EWR-PBI RT next year that shows 3072 PQM for the outbound and 2048 for the return.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
This is just a match to AA.

Really, United is just saying, if you spend the PQD on premium fares, we don't care so much about how many miles you actually went.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
From IAH, a F-buying passenger now can get to 1K with only two TATL and one domestic trip. Fly three times a year and be 1K . Just about every professional staff member working international at the company I retired from will be a 1K. This will definitely bloat the upper tiers of M+ with those looking to use RPUs/GPUs on vacations. CPUs will be even rarer for lower tiers.
UA would much rather use their free upgrades to keep people who spend $12k/yr (the PQD req for 1K now) on three flights than lower tier elites.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Hi everyone,

Starting January 1, 2016, you’ll earn more Premier qualifying miles (PQMs) for full-fare and discounted First or Business – up to double the current rate. The higher PQM rates go into effect for flights starting January 1, 2016 regardless of booking date.

Full-fare First or Business (F, J): 300% (Currently 150%)
Discounted First or Business (A, C, D, Z, P): 200% (Currently 150%)

-UA Insider
At last a change I like!!

As someone who mainly flies International BF, but spends $25-30k pa on tickets this means I will make 1K rather than Gold.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but presumably this will make it even harder redeeming upgrades though?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

Now just change RDM to be the greater of multiplier or miles flown and we'll have a real MileagePLUS.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:12 pm

I cannot believe United would make such a major change with almost no notice! It's not even Friday!

Seriously though, this change will be beneficial for my current flight purchasing behavior, where PQD's are easier to accumulate than PQM's.

I echo this sentiment:

Originally Posted by helvetic
This is excellent. Good job UA!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by mrswirl
I love how a person can be a top-tier "frequent" flyer elite with all of 3 TATL round trips in F while the domestic segment warrior who flies weekly (mostly on RJs) still has to stuggle to get 120 PQS.
On the other hand, that flyer who pays $18k for IAD-FRA for unrestricted F will have already paid way more than the 1K PQD requirement for a year. So they aren't getting off easy.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:17 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
One thing I did just realize, though, is that when there's no available F on a connecting route (e.g. the Devil's Chariot or other RJs lacking F), you often pay more $$ for that short connecting segment than the longer one in the front cabin, but it will book into Y and thus earn only 150%.

Shame you can't have it book as F throughout, even if there aren't F segments available...
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
Really nice to see this also trickling over to other *A airlines, particularly LH-group where the P-fares has been basically treated as lower-than-B-fares for some time.

Note: upgauge also appears to apply to NH and CA...so basically all the JVs, which makes sense.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Just so I'm clear, does this apply to partner flights booked under partner ticket stock or only flights booked under 016?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Thismight explain why a trip i was looking this morning in F went from 258 each way to 458 each way
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Global Entry, Citi Prestige, Chase MileagePlus Club
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The flyers who benefit from this are those who usually travel on OPM. From IAH, a F-buying passenger now can get to 1K with only two TATL and one domestic trip. Fly three times a year and be 1K . Just about every professional staff member working international at the company I retired from will be a 1K. This will definitely bloat the upper tiers of M+ with those looking to use RPUs/GPUs on vacations. CPUs will be even rarer for lower tiers.
I agree. I'm sure United crunched the data and ran the numbers and whatnot, but all I can it doing is inflating the numbers of 1Ks, making those already tough CPUs even tougher to get.

As a guy that gets his 1K the hard way, one PQM per BIS mile, this makes me both sad and a bit jealous.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Phenomenal news. This will definitely help convince me to buy advance A and P fares on my transcons rather than picking 6am flights and playing the CPU lottery.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
Just so I'm clear, does this apply to partner flights booked under partner ticket stock or only flights booked under 016?
PQMs are based just on the flight operator (and their fare class), not the ticket stock.

However this was also stated
...PQM earnings for select Star Alliance partners are also increasing.

-UA Insider
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Will be awesome for me. Can't wait. Will make 1K sooner than I thought.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Really wish this started this year. Mostly flying FAP domestic fares and would've been much better off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.