Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Evaluating U.S. to Singapore Nonstop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Evaluating U.S. to Singapore Nonstop

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by goodeats21

For this thread, the point is there seems to be a lot of 777 availability coming open and wondering where they will end up.
There is just not that many examples of the one Boeing plane that could routinely fly this route-the 200LR. About 60 out of 1300 777 delivered. United owns none-Delta has 10. I suspect if you were to look at the composition of the 777 coming off lease that Anderson mentioned, it is mostly 200 and 300/300ER.

As an aside, I wonder if his remarks were accurate. If his estimations of 777 residual value are correct, would have significant consequences to the whole leasing industry and require a lot of writedowns.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 7:26 pm

I've flown the SQ nonstop before both in whatever they were calling their premium economy and in business when it went all business. I don't think I'd do it again. IMO, 18 hours is just too long to spend on a plane.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have done EWR-HKG, ORD-HKG ATL-DXB and PEK-JNB, and I don't think I will want to fly any flights longer than those flights.

My recent EWR-HKG was just so long that I could not wait to get off the plane.

I find nothing wrong with a one-stop stopover in NRT.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Dec 13, 2015 at 5:33 pm
Old Dec 13, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: Marriott: Platinum Hilton: Diamond AC: 25K
I think this would be a good addition. once in SIN you can take local airline to the area for cheaper first class seats.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by wpr8e
Singapore is most definitely an island.
To be more accurate, it's multiple islands.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
The problem with this flight is that you need to have enough people located in SFO who want a direct flight to SIN (or vice versa). Being based in SEA I would love a direct flight from SEA to SIN. From most other cities if you are going to have to do a stopover why not do it in HKG or NRT and split the flight into two more manageable chunks?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by blahter
I've flown the SQ nonstop before both in whatever they were calling their premium economy and in business when it went all business. I don't think I'd do it again. IMO, 18 hours is just too long to spend on a plane.
Having done 14 hours in business class a number of times, I have to agree. 18 hours is just too much time to be confined in a metal tube.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by halls120
Having done 14 hours in business class a number of times, I have to agree. 18 hours is just too much time to be confined in a metal tube.
If you fly to SIN from the US, most any location, you are going to be on the plane for 17-18 hours minimum (albeit with a stopover in NRT or ICN). So yes, while it is a long time to be on a plane, it's kind of necessary if you want to go to SIN.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
JFK-JNB, EWR-HKG, LAX-SYD, MEL-LAX all fine with being on the plane. It's the TCONs that I get antsy and agitated.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
JFK-JNB, EWR-HKG, LAX-SYD, MEL-LAX all fine with being on the plane. It's the TCONs that I get antsy and agitated.
I feel exactly the same. I love the long haul stuff. SA JFK-JNB and the old TG JFK-BKK were great. Just completed HKG-EWR after EWR-PVG. No issues.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by halls120
Wouldn't mind 18 hours on the SQ A380 suite
Old Dec 13, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Agree 100%. Just did MIA-SFO on Friday and It seemed forever long. 6 hours in a 737 (and I was in first) is horrible and way worse than a TPAC in a premium cabin. I don't know how people do it in coach.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by Taipei
I agree that SQ has better service, but still lots of people fly UA, since they fly 2X a day into SIN. My guess is the non stop would replace one of the one stop flights, net result a better profit. UA advantage is better coverage in USA and for most flyers a better mileage program. UA does have Singaporean Mileage plus members who would fly SIN-SFO/XXX-other USA city, than 2 stop option on SQ, or even other S'poreans that may just want less stops. Also many companies with staff in SIN have contracts with UA, so UA does get a lot business traffic.
UA would be a viable option if I could confirm a GPU at booking and only need to book a coach ticket (I'm assuming any configuration would be 2 class). If paying real money for business, I'll take SQ either nonstop or with a stop, thank you (and I am one of the 1ks living in SG referenced above- I just make it mostly on my non SQ *A trips, very few of which are on UA metal blessedly).

The other bonus of the stop (on either airline) is you get to eat at the super good Sushi place near the United club at Narita. Get the Bluefin meal, with an extra couple pieces of the marinated bluefin.

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
United is already stronger than Singapore Airlines on SFO-SIN based on average fare paid. With a nonstop, UA will utterly clean SQ's clock, as SQ cannot match UA's ability to bring everyone from the top 50-75 US markets to SFO for a nonstop SIN flight.
I'm not saying this is untrue, but surprising. Do you have the source? I'd be curious also to know if this is true for LAX as well. Lately SQ has had some good deals on Business to LAX and SFO if you can plan far ahead, but in general, it's been more expensive when I looked less than 2 months out.

As for the extended route network, I just book separate tickets on other carriers. Typically SQ has no problem interlining my bags.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
To be more accurate, it's multiple islands.
This.

Has anyone considered the possibility that this could be the rhetoric to either pull SQ back in to *A (more than in name only, in terms of codeshare and redemptions) or to send a shot across the bow to get out? The relationship has seemed tenuous for some time...
Old Dec 14, 2015, 2:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Meh. My dream is a non stop from CGK or DPS to the west coast. A dream indeed.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:01 am
Formerly known as caveruner17

I think with the longer ones, the ability to actually sleep helps. Those 2-4 hour flights aren't long enough to do much -- sometimes not even long enough to watch a movie. Frankly, after doing my first TPAC last month, I prefer that to the shorter TATL hops from Chicago. After meal service is completed, it's hard to sleep when you've only got 4 hours before you're woken again for breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.