Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Evaluating U.S. to Singapore Nonstop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Evaluating U.S. to Singapore Nonstop

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by smxflyer
They considered it on the 789 for summer 16 supposedly but would take too much of a penalty. They are evaluating the A359ULR but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Can you explain what you mean by "take too much of a penalty"?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by blackllotus
Can you explain what you mean by "take too much of a penalty"?
not the OP, but in order for the aircraft to be able to carry the fuel necessary for the route, there would have to be a tradeoff (reduction) of pax/cargo.

great circle mapper puts SFO-SIN at 8446 statute miles; B789 range (according to wikipedia) is 8786mi with 280 pax. UA's 789 seats 252. the 789 has the longest range of the three announced dreamliner variants.

LAX-MEL (also a UA 789) is currently the longest dreamliner route of all airlines at 7921mi. a reason this may be significant is that UA has collected plenty of long range fuel burn data over the past 13 months LAX-MEL has been operating.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by riphamilton
not the OP, but in order for the aircraft to be able to carry the fuel necessary for the route, there would have to be a tradeoff (reduction) of pax/cargo.

great circle mapper puts SFO-SIN at 8446 statute miles; B789 range (according to wikipedia) is 8786mi with 280 pax. UA's 789 seats 252. the 789 has the longest range of the three announced dreamliner variants.

LAX-MEL (also a UA 789) is currently the longest dreamliner route of all airlines at 7921mi. a reason this may be significant is that UA has collected plenty of long range fuel burn data over the past 13 months LAX-MEL has been operating.
If UA can pull off nonstop SFO-SIN with a standard 789, that will be impressive.

CO has always liked to push the range on its planes, so maybe the pioneer of the transatlantic 757 has something new up its sleeves.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by username
I think SQ did both LAX and JFK nonstop with the 345 and had to stop due to fuel prices, right? It was all Business Class, right?

I can't access that article...would UA do it from EWR or SFO?

I can see it opening up new markets such as one stop service to KUL, PER, DPS which can be cool.

Also, I am guessing UA has a decent amount of corporate contracts for people going to SIN?
SQ did EWR and LAX nonstop to/from SIN, mostly using the polar route from EWR so that it was considered a TATL flight for RTW purposes. At the end they had specially configured all business class aircraft (a full load of coach passengers would have weighed too much and the cost of carrying all that fuel demanded premium prices) but earlier I think there were at least some premium economy (or whatever it would have been called then) seats too.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 2:59 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
... but earlier I think there were at least some premium economy (or whatever it would have been called then) seats too.
"Executive Economy". Originally they had about 100 seats of it (as well as first + business), but in the end the 18+ hours was just too long for economy and they dropped it in favor of the all business class layout they used until they retired the A345's.

I suspect United will have the same problem - 18 hours is a damn long time to be stuck in an economy seat. Going via HKG/NRT may take longer, but for most people in Y it's going to be the preferred option.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 3:26 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I too agree with above sentiments on product quality of course, but SQ has only 3-4 flights per day to SIN from the West Coast, and no one else does. Maybe 1200 seats per day. And those planes are full, at high prices, even with 1 stop in there. I dare say that no matter how good SQ's service is, people aren't taking those flights just for kicks. I expect that even with an inferior product, there could be enough overflow passenger demand for UA to consider this interesting to explore.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TA
I too agree with above sentiments on product quality of course, but SQ has only 3-4 flights per day to SIN from the West Coast, and no one else does.
Huh? Numerous other airlines fly West coast to SIN with one stop, just like SQ does. United being the obvious example (SFO-NRT-SIN, SFO-HKG-SIN), but also ANA, Delta, Asiana, Cathay, Eva, Philippine, multiple Chinese airlines, and probably a few I've forgotten...
Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
I think TA's point was that no airline currently does US West Coast to SIN non-stop. And if it does happen, it would presumably be limited to UA/DL/SQ to start because of cabotage /Fifth Freedom requirements.

I wonder what it would be like if Scoot (TZ) took up such a routing (I realize what they fly is the 788, not the 789).
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dsgtc0408
I wonder what it would be like if Scoot (TZ) took up such a routing (I realize what they fly is the 788, not the 789).
They fly the 789 now as well. I flew a nice new one on Saturday, SIN-SYD.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:21 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by docbert
Huh? Numerous other airlines fly West coast to SIN with one stop, just like SQ does. United being the obvious example (SFO-NRT-SIN, SFO-HKG-SIN), but also ANA, Delta, Asiana, Cathay, Eva, Philippine, multiple Chinese airlines, and probably a few I've forgotten...
Yes, I didn't make the point very clearly. My point is that I believe a lot of people are flying SQ as the defacto "nonstop" option, given their natural connections schedule. Not too many are ending in HKG or ICN I believe, given the ticket prices. For < 23 hour duration 1 stop, SQ (and maybe CX, NH, UA as next comparable) are the only choices (OZ, KF distant possibility). There could be good demand for a 17.5 hr nonstop, even if poorer service...
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is strange that SQ does not seem to want to put too much resource on regular TPACs. They are now code-sharing with EVA on some routes. Is it due to traffic rights or it does not make sense for them business-wise?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
What equipment does the article say UA will use?...I don't think they own any 200LRs and to do it in an 87-9 would really be pushing it. Then again, routine fuel stops for nonstops is a well practiced UA operating strategy.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
They should consider BKK instead of SIN first.

How's UA supposed to be competitive against SQ
Particularly since Thai is in trouble with US aviation authorities. This provides an opportunity to take control of a route.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Or if they start SFO->SIN direct, they can use the existing NRT->SIN plane to restore the NRT->BKK leg.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Particularly since Thai is in trouble with US aviation authorities. This provides an opportunity to take control of a route.
With the downgraded rating, I believe UA cannot start new service to Thailand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.