Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Evaluating U.S. to Singapore Nonstop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
United is already stronger than Singapore Airlines on SFO-SIN based on average fare paid. With a nonstop, UA will utterly clean SQ's clock, as SQ cannot match UA's ability to bring everyone from the top 50-75 US markets to SFO for a nonstop SIN flight.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TA
My point is that I believe a lot of people are flying SQ as the defacto "nonstop" option, given their natural connections schedule.
People fly SQ TPAC for three basic reasons:
  1. A wealth of onward connections throughout SE Asia/Oceania via SQ's Changi hub (probably the best airport in the world).
  2. They're drawn to one of the best (arguably the best) hard and soft products in the world.
  3. They're Singapore based and flying the flag carrier is an easy call given its quality and dominance at Changi.
I don't see how UA captures business competing with SQ on any of those points. They can't even sell you a through fare via Changi; any connection will price end-on-end due to their poor relationship with SQ.

The only reason UA might justify a SIN nonstop is if they have a substantial body of captive US-based corporate customers who travel to SIN regularly, pay for lots of BF seats, and are clamoring for this route. But even that seems to me a real stretch given the distance and cost.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by Kacee
  1. A wealth of onward connections throughout SE Asia/Oceania via SQ's Changi hub (probably the best airport in the world).
  2. They're drawn to one of the best (arguably the best) hard and soft products in the world.
  3. They're Singapore based and flying the flag carrier is an easy call given its quality and dominance at Changi.
I don't see how UA captures business competing with SQ on any of those points. They can't even sell you a through fare via Changi; any connection will price end-on-end due to their poor relationship with SQ.

The only reason UA might justify a SIN nonstop is if they have a substantial body of captive US-based corporate customers who travel to SIN regularly, pay for lots of BF seats, and are clamoring for this route. But even that seems to me a real stretch given the distance and cost.
I agree that SQ has better service, but still lots of people fly UA, since they fly 2X a day into SIN. My guess is the non stop would replace one of the one stop flights, net result a better profit. UA advantage is better coverage in USA and for most flyers a better mileage program. UA does have Singaporean Mileage plus members who would fly SIN-SFO/XXX-other USA city, than 2 stop option on SQ, or even other S'poreans that may just want less stops. Also many companies with staff in SIN have contracts with UA, so UA does get a lot business traffic.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Taipei
Also many companies with staff in SIN have contracts with UA, so UA does get a lot business traffic.
That has to be the justification for considering this route.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
I think this route would do really well for United. The saying "time is money" holds true in the business world and, at least at my business, everyone prefers the fastest/most convenient option over the most luxurious one. A 787-9 should definitely be able to fly SFO-SIN nonstop as its range at MTOW is 7635 nmi, and the route is only 7339 nmi. Along with this, United flies its 787-9's with 252 passengers, which is less than the 290 it can fly at MTOW. One of the 777's that currently flies to SIN from NRT or HKG can now be used on a different route, maybe NRT-BKK or NRT-KUL, to enter a new market. It would help if UA and SQ decided to codeshare, but maybe they will in the future.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by DA201
A 787-9 should definitely be able to fly SFO-SIN nonstop as its range at MTOW is 7635 nmi, and the route is only 7339 nmi.
That does not mean the aircraft can handle the route. You need a substantially larger cushion than that.

Personally, I'd rather not be on the aircraft that runs out of fuel due to inbound congestion at Changi or stronger than usual jetstream.

Edited to Add: Here's a link to Boeing's marketing info on the 787's real world range. 787 Range - Los Angeles; Seattle. You can see SIN is outside the shaded areas from both LAX and SEA.

Last edited by Kacee; Dec 9, 2015 at 10:08 am
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

I have SFO-(NRT)-SIN on fare lock, any chance this gets put in the schedule within 5 days?

To add to Kacee's comments I have booked SQ recently on this sector to earn full flown miles on MP v RDM calculator, price was about the same, 2 bags per person regardless of status, and $100 instead of $300 change fees

Having better IFE and food was just a bonus.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by cfischer
how much 'work' on the 789 would they have to do to make e.g. SFO-SIN work range-wise?
Leeham News and Comment ran a series of articles on this topic last summer. The short answer is that it came down to modified versions of the A359 and the 772LR. A modified 789 was not an attractive option because there is no space to expand its wingtanks, and it is not certified for a cargo bay tank system.

The A359 predictably had much better fuel burn than the 772LR, and unsurprisingly that is what SQ picked.

https://leehamnews.com/2015/07/20/op...hts-to-the-us/

Edit: I should also note that the idea of being stuck in a 9-abreast United 789 seat for up to 18 hours is truly frightening. Thank goodness it doesn't have the range.

Last edited by milypan; Dec 9, 2015 at 12:26 pm
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by DA201
A 787-9 should definitely be able to fly SFO-SIN nonstop as its range at MTOW is 7635 nmi, and the route is only 7339 nmi.
You're conflating OEM range with real-world range. Technically, a Bombardier CS300 should definitely be able to fly LHR-JFK nonstop, as its range is 3,300 nm, and the route is only 2,989 nm.

A good rule of thumb would be to take the OEM numbers and subtract at least 20%.

https://leehamnews.com/2015/08/07/bj...-the-oem-says/
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by transportbiz
Snowball's chance in a sauna.
THIS ^. When UA said they were using dreamliners for long and thin routes they didn't mean this long or this thin.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

UA could capture the FlyAmerica captives, many of whom are allowed and able to purchase business class for flights this long.

Whether it's a matter of UA USA domestic connections to SQ or UA to SIN with onward connections on SQ, it's still a connection from one *A partner to another.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
That does not mean the aircraft can handle the route. You need a substantially larger cushion than that.

Personally, I'd rather not be on the aircraft that runs out of fuel due to inbound congestion at Changi or stronger than usual jetstream.

Edited to Add: Here's a link to Boeing's marketing info on the 787's real world range. 787 Range - Los Angeles; Seattle. You can see SIN is outside the shaded areas from both LAX and SEA.
Very cool map. I like to see it like this - really gives you a sense of how one flies over a globe (LAX to Moscow for example). When you look at the flat maps you don't get the same sense.

Hong Kong and Dubai really on the border of that shaded area. Sort of makes you wonder?!
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
United is already stronger than Singapore Airlines on SFO-SIN based on average fare paid. With a nonstop, UA will utterly clean SQ's clock, as SQ cannot match UA's ability to bring everyone from the top 50-75 US markets to SFO for a nonstop SIN flight.
Obviously this is virtually always the case between two competitors where one does and the other does not have the connecting traffic: no matter the destination, the carrier with feed, the hub operation, is the stronger of the two.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Use the DXB planes since it's being dropped.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Use the DXB planes since it's being dropped.
Can those 772s make that long of a flight? (maybe a dumb question, but I'm no expert on planes)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.