Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Evaluating U.S. to Singapore Nonstop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Evaluating U.S. to Singapore Nonstop

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer

Oh wait you were being serious? Hmm.

Personally I don't think UA's product is competitive against SQ's, and on a route like this (operating with special config or seat blocking) premium demand is key..IMO if UA attempts this, they will end up closing it after a year or two due to being unable to fill the modified plane (which would likely be required to turn a profit), and then blame the Singapore government for "subsidizing" SQ or something.
For business/first - I agree. But I don't see much difference between SQ coach and UA coach. The food isn't very good on either (in coach) and UA e+ has a little more legroom. Most business people fly coach to Singapore.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DA201
I know many people love SQ, but I am just curious why you prefer this route, assuming you have no connecting flight to JFK that has better connection times with SQ. SQ's flight is not the fastest option. JFK-HKG-SIN on CX and JFK-PEK-SIN on CA each take about an hour less than JFK-FRA-SIN, and CX's product is just as good as SQ's. Plus, CA and CX seem to offer cheaper fares.
I would prefer it to the NRT connection to BKK because it would give me a decent seat to BKK instead of the crap that ANA offers.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
I've posted this before, but was told that SQ's elite passengers were very unhappy with the treatment and service on UA, and that UAs lack of responsiveness caused SQ to look around. SQ did tie ins with VX and B6 as a result. I'm sure they also got a good deal as part of it. Bottom line, SQ wanted some degree of control over the experience and VX and B6 provided it, UA did not.
Assuming that this conjecture was even remotely true, please explain to me how SQ tolerated code sharing with US Airways for all those years before they left Star?

Originally Posted by spin88
Not sure about that. SQ serves LAX/SFO, and VX provides connecting flights to major markets at both. At JFK, B6 Does so, and UA does not even serve that. The only place SQ "needs" united is arguable at IAH, but I don't think that flight has a lot of through traffic, its mostly O/D.
VX doesn't provide nearly the downline feed of UA at either LAX or SFO. It not even debatable the scale of UA's operations and overall capacity at either station.

JFK was never going to provide much downline traffic and B6 can pick up the smallish regional stuff where needed. Fair enough; that works in that specific market but that doesn't explain their EWR operations which ran for over 10 years with no UA codeshares. But to argue that connection off J or F and jumping on B6 is somehow "better" than UA is laughable. Service standards on UA have next to zero to do with the reason SQ and UA don't codeshare.

Last edited by goalie; Dec 20, 2015 at 3:51 pm Reason: discuss the issue, not each other
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Now announced today. Now United 1/2 on a 789.

Eff June 1, 2016.

UA1 SFO-SIN 2325-0645+2
UA2 SIN-SFO 0845-0915

Pretty exciting really.

FTF
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer

Oh wait you were being serious? Hmm.

Personally I don't think UA's product is competitive against SQ's, and on a route like this (operating with special config or seat blocking) premium demand is key..IMO if UA attempts this, they will end up closing it after a year or two due to being unable to fill the modified plane (which would likely be required to turn a profit), and then blame the Singapore government for "subsidizing" SQ or something.
United Airlines presently beats Singapore Airlines on average fare paid on SFO-SIN, with existing cabin products and aircraft types on head-to-head 1-stop services. The nonstop service enables UA to become even more compelling for SFO-SIN O&D flyers, and opens many key North American cities to one-stop service to/from Singapore.

I respect SQ's inflight service, but UA SFO-SIN nonstop will offer a convenience proposition so compelling for time-sensitive North American-based flyers to Singapore that SQ's cabin products will remain the afterthought they presently are (because, again, United is already commanding higher average fares than Singapore Airlines).
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:38 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
Now announced today. Now United 1/2 on a 789.

Eff June 1, 2016.

UA1 SFO-SIN 2325-0645+2
UA2 SIN-SFO 0845-0915

Pretty exciting really.

FTF
And with this now a reality and with an existing discussion here (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ne-2016-a.html), I'll close this thread

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.