Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Evaluating U.S. to Singapore Nonstop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Evaluating U.S. to Singapore Nonstop

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
OK, so here is my thinking on the range issue:

UA has been flying EWR-HKG for a long time now with a 772ER. This route is 12,971 km. The max range of the 772 according to wiki is 13,100 km. I have flown this route many times and never had to do a fuel stop, nor is it in any way a modified version of the 772.

My point is that UA is flying within 200km of the design range of the 772. Design range of the 787-9 is 14,100 km. I am wondering if they will do the same with the 787-9, in which case SFO-SIN would be fine at 13,592 km and LAX-SIN would be pushing it at 14,113 km.

Perhaps more interestingly, this would also mean that EWR-BKK would be possible at 13,961 km, and SFO-BKK at 12,766 km.

On a separate note, I think UA should consider the EWR or SFO-BKK route much before considering any SIN routes.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
I assume SFO.

UA would want pax to go EWR-SFO-SIN instead.

Just like they do with Australia from LAX
yes, EWR-SIN n/s is not happening @ 9534mi

SFO-SIN is 8446 which compares favorably with EWR-HKG at 8065

SFO-BKK is 7933
Old Dec 9, 2015, 3:03 pm
RNE

A series of 11 ERJs staged every 1,000 miles, like the old Pony Express. Heck, have to do something with the former CLE fleet.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
UA could capture the FlyAmerica captives, many of whom are allowed and able to purchase business class for flights this long.
Not really . . . Fly America requires only that you get to Asia on a US carrier, and then you can go on something else. That said, you already can get to SIN via HKG and NRT on UA, and AA gets you to HKG.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by davidviolin
OK, so here is my thinking on the range issue:

UA has been flying EWR-HKG for a long time now with a 772ER. This route is 12,971 km. The max range of the 772 according to wiki is 13,100 km. I have flown this route many times and never had to do a fuel stop, nor is it in any way a modified version of the 772.
Right now

Last edited by tuolumne; Dec 9, 2015 at 4:04 pm
Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The sCO 772 has different engines and a longer range than the aircraft you reference. I'm not sure of the exact number, but EWR-HKG is somewhere between 85-90% of that aircraft's max range. The sUA 772 cannot be used on that route.

(And per tuolumne's graphic, EWR-HKG in fact stretches even the sCO aircraft to the limit of its range.)

Last edited by Kacee; Dec 9, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The sCO 772 has different engines and a longer range than the aircraft you reference. I'm not sure of the exact number, but EWR-HKG is somewhere between 85-90% of that aircraft's max range. The sUA 772 cannot be used on that route.
Interesting. I did know that the pmCO 772's had different engines, but I did not know they had longer range than specified by Boeing. Do you have a source for this info?

Also, in looking at the flight history of UA 180, few days ago actual length flownw as 9,077 miles thats 14,608 km... thats... impressive... even with prevailing winds.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...315Z/VHHH/KEWR

In my opinion, SFO-BKK on a 789 would be ideal.

Last edited by davidviolin; Dec 9, 2015 at 4:51 pm
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:05 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by drewguy
Not really . . . Fly America requires only that you get to Asia on a US carrier, and then you can go on something else. That said, you already can get to SIN via HKG and NRT on UA, and AA gets you to HKG.
Not even that. You can fly a codeshare marketed by a US carrier but operated by anyone else, FWIW.

An office mate who's government just went IAD-DXB-BKK on EK the whole way.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Can those 772s make that long of a flight? (maybe a dumb question, but I'm no expert on planes)
Sure, UA has done HKG-IAH (100 mi shorter than SIN-SFO).

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...453Z/VHHH/KIAH

You just can't take passengers.

Interesting. I did know that the pmCO 772's had different engines, but I did not know they had longer range than specified by Boeing. Do you have a source for this info?
Slight difference in fuel efficiency for the Pratt (UA) vs GE (CO) engines, amounts to a hundred miles or so. This magazine puts it at 7770 nm vs 7650 nm for GE90-94B vs PW4090. There may be some PIPs on either since since publication that move it a percent or two in either direction.

Also, in looking at the flight history of UA 180, few days ago actual length flownw as 9,077 miles thats 14,608 km... thats... impressive... even with prevailing winds.
It's because of the winds, they took a longer path to catch more wind.

In my opinion, SFO-BKK on a 789 would be ideal.
Won't make it with an economic payload.

Last edited by mduell; Dec 9, 2015 at 6:41 pm
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by exerda
Not even that. You can fly a codeshare marketed by a US carrier but operated by anyone else, FWIW.

An office mate who's government just went IAD-DXB-BKK on EK the whole way.
True - one way to get to HKG on "AA" is on a Cathay Pacific codeshare - anyway, point remains that UA isn't going to capture Fly America traffic to SIN - it's already possible to do it on UA or other carriers, whether American or code-sharing foreign, that comply with Fly America.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
What person in their right mind would pay to fly UA GF/BF to SIN when the competition completely blows away UA?

Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
Won't make it with an economic payload.
Why? UA already flies LAX-MEL which is exactly the same distance as SFO-BKK and are doing very well on that route.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Why? UA already flies LAX-MEL which is exactly the same distance as SFO-BKK and are doing very well on that route.
I don't see the fare market being nearly as strong, so you'd need a bunch of cargo you can't haul to make it worthwhile.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee

(And per tuolumne's graphic, EWR-HKG in fact stretches even the sCO aircraft to the limit of its range.)
United flies their sUA 777 from Chicago to Hong Kong. Flight times are similar to the Newark route. Is it really that much shorter?

Seems like there will be several aircraft available soon. I have to think a return to Bangkok will show up, please?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
I don't see the fare market being nearly as strong, so you'd need a bunch of cargo you can't haul to make it worthwhile.
MEL is a stronger fare market than BKK? Source?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.