Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2022, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rtool
Flew E+ SFO-EWR 9pm departure
My expectations were low going in, so no complaints here
  • Got the one tray hot meal (choice of chicken vs. ravioli) + green salad + roll + cheesecake (no fruit, though)
  • Got croissant + Chobani yogurt cup before landing (IIRC, that's the same breakfast as I had in J on the same flight back in June 2022)
  • Thin blanket that I didn't use; no amenties kit or pillow
  • Liked the Premier access check in, and was able to get the orange tag on my checked bag
Do you mean P+ (PremiumPlus)? I am not aware of meals returning to E+ (Economy Plus) on this route. (Confusing terminology, to be sure.)
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Do you mean P+ (PremiumPlus)? I am not aware of meals returning to E+ (Economy Plus) on this route. (Confusing terminology, to be sure.)
1K used to get boxes and drinks. As did E+.

But yes, never an option to get the J meals like with Premium Plus (Premium Economy).
Old Oct 15, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by fumje
I was reading with super interested eyes. The free meals and free drinks was a great perk on the “premium trans cons” in E+
Old Oct 15, 2022, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I was reading with super interested eyes. The free meals and free drinks was a great perk on the “premium trans cons” in E+
Fun while they lasted. I was on one of the first flights some summers ago when they comped hot meal in economy plus.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Fun while they lasted. I was on one of the first flights some summers ago when they comped hot meal in economy plus.
Uh, that goes back to pmUA's p.s. service.

David
Old Oct 15, 2022, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DELee
Uh, that goes back to pmUA's p.s. service.

David
True, but eventually that was cut as well with $smisek in charge (May have even been in the waning Tilton era).
Old Oct 16, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
True, but eventually that was cut as well with $smisek in charge (May have even been in the waning Tilton era).
Yes, I think the free Y meals on the original p.s. went away well before the merger.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR764
Yes, I think the free Y meals on the original p.s. went away well before the merger.
In Y. In E+, continued up to the pandemic.

David
Flying Machine and Repooc17 like this.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: UA GLOBAL SERVICES - 1.2 million miles
757-200 showing regular seats not the “yellow lie flats”

Have an upcoming flight from LAX to ewr and the seat map shows the big blue squares for the first class seats and not the yellow pods on a 757-200. Didn’t know 757-200’s with that existed or do you think it’s a mistake?

flight 11/22/22 LAX to EWR at 3pm UA951
Old Oct 16, 2022, 11:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by youngGS
Have an upcoming flight from LAX to ewr and the seat map shows the big blue squares for the first class seats and not the yellow pods on a 757-200. Didn’t know 757-200’s with that existed or do you think it’s a mistake?

flight 11/22/22 LAX to EWR at 3pm UA951
UA is only operating 752's with 16 lie-flats seats

BTW it is UA591
ContinentalFan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 16, 2022 at 11:55 am Reason: BTW it is UA591
Old Oct 16, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by DELee
In Y. In E+, continued up to the pandemic.

David
The original p.s. service had free meals in Y (all E+) and that was cut long before the merger. Then, in 2017 or so, UA brought back hot meals in transcon E+. Those went away with the pandemic and have yet to return. There was probably a decade or so in between when there were no free hot meals in UA transcon Y, not including comped 1K/GS snacks.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR764
The original p.s. service had free meals in Y (all E+) and that was cut long before the merger. Then, in 2017 or so, UA brought back hot meals in transcon E+. Those went away with the pandemic and have yet to return. There was probably a decade or so in between when there were no free hot meals in UA transcon Y, not including comped 1K/GS snacks.
Ok. Did partake when sitting in E+ on the t.p.s. flights from 2017 through early 2020. IIRC, also applied on SFO-BOS.

David
Old Oct 16, 2022, 5:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by rtool
Flew PE E+ SFO-EWR 9pm departure
My expectations were low going in, so no complaints here
  • Got the one tray hot meal (choice of chicken vs. ravioli) + green salad + roll + cheesecake (no fruit, though)
  • Got croissant + Chobani yogurt cup before landing (IIRC, that's the same breakfast as I had in J on the same flight back in June 2022)
  • Thin blanket that I didn't use; no amenties kit or pillow
  • Liked the Premier access check in, and was able to get the orange tag on my checked bag
Um, there's no fruit on the lunch/dinner tray for transcon flights, even in Business, nor an amenity kit in transcon PP.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 7:29 pm

Same here. Mine showed lie flat at the time of booking, but has now switched. Don't know if this is a concern.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA is only operating 752's with 16 lie-flats seats

BTW it is UA591
Looking at flights in early 2023, and I'm noticing that 787s and 777s have almost entirely disappeared on on EWR-SFO/LAX routes. A harbinger of things to come? (or is it just me...)

God these flights will suck if all that premium capacity goes away...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.