Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
They tend to do this when planes aren't flying international segments over the holidays. There was a 773 on the SFO-HNL run over Thanksgiving.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
UA provides 78J (787-10) daily service through at least the next few months.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:15 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by goalie
Booked goalie-parents'* annual SFO-PBI trip for January-April and where the revenue tix were too high, I was able to find two saver Y award tix SFO-EWR-PBI/PBI-EWR-SFO and with that, I'm wondering if the "real meal" for those seated in E+ still holds. I still see this on United's website but given the state of UA's I/T , who knows what's true and what's not (and if it's still true, is it worth it for goalie-parents to carry a print out )

*goalie-dad (my MM Gold companion)/goalie-mom (plebe) on one PNR
---
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...mservices.aspx
Reporting back that goalie-parents seated in 9C&D received a hot breakfast along with the reminder of those seated in E+
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:54 pm

First time flying round-trip transcontinental Business Class (P) from EWR-LAX with no United status at all.
757-200 (2B) to and 787-10 (1A) return (both Polaris? not too sure).

1) What should I expect from this being my first time and all?
2) Is the meal (lunch) on 757-200 going to be something to look forward to? I usually buy airport food and eat it on the flight.
3) Will service be different if I'm in Business with no United status than someone with United status?

Thanks so much!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by risenmyth
757-200 (2B) to and 787-10 (1A) return (both Polaris? not too sure).
Neither is marketed as United Polaris, but the 787-10 will have the new Polaris seat.

1) What should I expect from this being my first time and all?
It's a slightly toned-down version of the international Business service. United Club access in EWR and LAX, four course meal (appetizer, salad, main, dessert of ice cream with toppings). Arrival service of some sort (I think it's wraps now?). Seats are guaranteed lie-flat.

2) Is the meal (lunch) on 757-200 going to be something to look forward to? I usually buy airport food and eat it on the flight.
No. Not to say that it's bad per se, but I wouldn't "look forward" to it, either. Most food on UA is acceptable, but not remarkable.

3) Will service be different if I'm in Business with no United status than someone with United status?
Not meaningfully, no. It is possible you might not get your first choice of main meal, but that's about it.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:24 pm

I was on the 787-10 flights between flying EWR-LAX-EWR last week and was served a meal in economy (well I sat in Premium Plus, but I know it's economy regardless). We were offered meals on both flights and not food for purchase. EWR-LAX I had the general something chicken, and LAX-EWR I had the eggs and potatoes option. Is this route usually food for purchase?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Neither is marketed as United Polaris, but the 787-10 will have the new Polaris seat.
It's a slightly toned-down version of the international Business service. United Club access in EWR and LAX, four course meal (appetizer, salad, main, dessert of ice cream with toppings). Arrival service of some sort (I think it's wraps now?). Seats are guaranteed lie-flat.
No. Not to say that it's bad per se, but I wouldn't "look forward" to it, either. Most food on UA is acceptable, but not remarkable.
Not meaningfully, no. It is possible you might not get your first choice of main meal, but that's about it.
Thank you so much for the answer.
So they won't have full Polaris service, even for the 787-10? That's a bit unfortunate but can't be helped. Would it matter that I say that the flight would be early July? Would the 5-6 months make a difference between the service?

A few more questions:
1) For the first choice of main meal, is it possible that I just request it beforehand and hope for the best?
2) What are the drink (alcohol) etiquette? Am I allowed to ask for multiple drinks or is it frowned upon or depends on the attendant?
3) I have read that the EWR United Club is pretty mediocre and the LAX one is decidedly the best. Is it even worth visiting the EWR one or just arrive later than planned and head straight to the gate?
4) I would have business check-in (if necessary) when I arrive at the United terminal, right?

Thank you again!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
1) For the first choice of main meal, is it possible that I just request it beforehand and hope for the best?
2) What are the drink (alcohol) etiquette? Am I allowed to ask for multiple drinks or is it frowned upon or depends on the attendant?
3) I have read that the EWR United Club is pretty mediocre and the LAX one is decidedly the best. Is it even worth visiting the EWR one or just arrive later than planned and head straight to the gate?
4) I would have business check-in (if necessary) when I arrive at the United terminal, right?
1) Can't pre-order meal on United. Meal preferences are prioritized for GS/1K, then usually from front to back (YMMV). If you have dietary restrictions, you can order special meal in advance, or tell the FA (e.g. you're vegetarian, you are allergic to seafood, etc.)
2) Multiple - yes, but usually max. two at a time so as not to make it too awkward... Most FAs disappear mid-flight, but you can go to the galley to request more drinks
3) EWR clubs have bars at least, but agree not worth planning extra time just to be there. Terminal C is much nicer.
4) You can use the premier access check-in (on a different floor than economy)
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by trust77
I was on the 787-10 flights between flying EWR-LAX-EWR last week and was served a meal in economy (well I sat in Premium Plus, but I know it's economy regardless). We were offered meals on both flights and not food for purchase. EWR-LAX I had the general something chicken, and LAX-EWR I had the eggs and potatoes option. Is this route usually food for purchase?
E+ on the Premium Trans fights " receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more. " I think the food is downsized for redeyes.

So they won't have full Polaris service, even for the 787-10? That's a bit unfortunate but can't be helped. Would it matter that I say that the flight would be early July? Would the 5-6 months make a difference between the service? ....
No, what in particular are you concerned about. It is a 5-ish hour flight.

Probaby the most significant missing item is Polaris Lounge access but UC access is included.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
So they won't have full Polaris service, even for the 787-10? That's a bit unfortunate but can't be helped. Would it matter that I say that the flight would be early July? Would the 5-6 months make a difference between the service?
No. UA has no intention of offering full Polaris service on domestic routes -- as WineCountryUA asked, is there a particular aspect you want to experience?

You can't pre-order meals on UA. However, sitting as far forward in the cabin as you are, I would not really worry about it. The odds of not getting your first choice are pretty small. Only 1K and GS get priority; all other status pax are treated equally to you.

As noted, having more than two drinks at once is probably too many If you intend to partake heavily, the rate-limiting factor is usually how often an FA comes by and makes eye contact with you. Some (a minority IME) figure out which pax want their glass perpetually full and take care of it. Many others spend an hour or more in the galley between service rounds. Like everything else on UA, it's consistently inconsistent.

I've never been to a lounge anywhere in the world that I would deliberately get to the airport early to experience (a second) time. (Okay, there are some that are worth planning out your first & only stop, and I would e.g. show up for dinner in the Polaris Lounge before attempting EWR-LHR, but those are exceptions.)

Lounges are great when the unpredictability of how long it takes to get to EWR means you have 40 minutes to kill airside; I would never make a plan with the purpose of getting additional UC time.

Yes, "Premier Access" as it's called on United.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
E+ on the Premium Trans fights " receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more. " I think the food is downsized for redeyes.

No, what in particular are you concerned about. It is a 5-ish hour flight.

Probaby the most significant missing item is Polaris Lounge access but UC access is included.
Not so much concerned! But I just want to know what I can expect to receive and if there will be any changes since it's still 6 months away.

Originally Posted by findark
No. UA has no intention of offering full Polaris service on domestic routes -- as WineCountryUA asked, is there a particular aspect you want to experience?

You can't pre-order meals on UA. However, sitting as far forward in the cabin as you are, I would not really worry about it. The odds of not getting your first choice are pretty small. Only 1K and GS get priority; all other status pax are treated equally to you.

As noted, having more than two drinks at once is probably too many If you intend to partake heavily, the rate-limiting factor is usually how often an FA comes by and makes eye contact with you. Some (a minority IME) figure out which pax want their glass perpetually full and take care of it. Many others spend an hour or more in the galley between service rounds. Like everything else on UA, it's consistently inconsistent.
I've never been to a lounge anywhere in the world that I would deliberately get to the airport early to experience (a second) time. (Okay, there are some that are worth planning out your first & only stop, and I would e.g. show up for dinner in the Polaris Lounge before attempting EWR-LHR, but those are exceptions.)

Lounges are great when the unpredictability of how long it takes to get to EWR means you have 40 minutes to kill airside; I would never make a plan with the purpose of getting additional UC time.

Yes, "Premier Access" as it's called on United.
Ah no pre-orders, I see. I have really front seats (2B and 1A) on both legs. So I shouldn't worry too much.
I do have a United Explorer Card as well, so I'd love to go once or twice to experience what they have to offer. But my business flight comes with free United Club entrance, so I'd save those 2 free passes for some other time. Is there any

1) Is it often odd or weird to walk up to the galley? or is it encouraged when you want something? As opposed to ringing a FA signal light
2) Is it ever recommended to check-in at the counter as opposed to online (when I don't need to check-in any luggage)?
3) What group will I board as with a business seat? My United Explorer card says that I'm allowed at Group 2, but does my business boarding ticket allow Group 1?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... 2) Is it ever recommended to check-in at the counter as opposed to online (when I don't need to check-in any luggage)? ...
no significant difference if you are not waitlisted for an upgrade.
IMO, checking in online is easier and faster. Don't see a reason to do at the airport when you have no checked luggage.
....3) What group will I board as with a business seat? My United Explorer card says that I'm allowed at Group 2, but does my business boarding ticket allow Group 1?
You will be BG1 -- but GS and 1Ks can board earlier along with those needing extra time/assistance and families with under 2-year-olds.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 18, 2019 at 2:48 pm
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Special meals can be pre-ordered by telephone. My wife is Gluten-free so she usually orders one.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...g/special.html

That said, she usually picks at it (eats very little) and brings her own food anyway.
I bring my own food or find something to eat in the terminal.
At EWR, I like Classified, if you get an invitation to dine there.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Phil Level
My wife is Gluten-free ......
So, is mine
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) Is it often odd or weird to walk up to the galley? or is it encouraged when you want something? As opposed to ringing a FA signal light
Opinions vary, but I've never felt much of a difference between the two. Just don't do it too often or you'll probably annoy them.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
n significant difference if you are not waitlisted for an upgrade.
IMO, checking in online is easier and faster. Don't see a reason to do at the airport when you have no checked luggage.
Real (cardstock) BPs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.