Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Providing Advance Notice (multiple days) of Delays/Cancellations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Providing Advance Notice (multiple days) of Delays/Cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by airplanegod
They do have some stored at VCV, some going to FedEx, and some not. It's not unheard of, Delta has brought back some 757's temporarily and WN has brought back some 733's in the past.
Yup. DL just brought back a 744 to replace a pretty banged up plane flying the MSP-ICN route.

I just didn't know if UA had any spares left. That's why I thought they bought the CM 738s recently.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I remember that pmUA had problems at times end of month where crew had reached their maximum hours in a month, or something like that? Also a factor here?

Good point about the pmUA FA retirement offer and furloughs. Is there especially pressure on pmUA aircraft like the Airbus 319/320? Was this a contributing factor on the "mini meltdown" at SFO the other day and the large number of delays? When weather delays occur and require crew reshuffling, having fewer crew available in reserve at the hub would certainly make things worse.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
I realized that I would not have purchased a UA ticket if my choices were the reroute I settled on compared to OAL schedules. I filed a DOT complaint on "operational difficulties" and encourage others to do the same.

http://airconsumer.dot.gov/escomplaint/ConsumerForm.cfm
Well, I tried the DOT complaint, and this was my response:

Based on the information you have provided, it does not appear that your complaint falls under one of the Department's rules. However, I will forward your complaint to the airline and will ask the company to respond directly to you. Airlines are required to acknowledge receipt of a consumer complaint within 30 days and provide a substantive response to the complainant within 60 days.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Morrissey
Well, I tried the DOT complaint, and this was my response:
I actually received the same reply to mine. I am more interested to see what UA's response is to the DOT forward. I have only filed DOT once before and was very satisfied with the airline's response to me. That was AA and 6 hours on an ERJ without lavatory. The complaint does compile into DOT monthly reports which are the basis of consumer stories for most hated airline and similar hyperbole.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:01 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I remember that pmUA had problems at times end of month where crew had reached their maximum hours in a month, or something like that? Also a factor here?
I don't think so; it exacerbated things, but the horrid operational difficulties have been going on all summer so far.

Originally Posted by dmodemd
Good point about the pmUA FA retirement offer and furloughs. Is there especially pressure on pmUA aircraft like the Airbus 319/320? Was this a contributing factor on the "mini meltdown" at SFO the other day and the large number of delays? When weather delays occur and require crew reshuffling, having fewer crew available in reserve at the hub would certainly make things worse.
The PMUA FA retirement & furlough strongarming was a very shortsighted move by UA management.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
I actually received the same reply to mine. I am more interested to see what UA's response is to the DOT forward. I have only filed DOT once before and was very satisfied with the airline's response to me. That was AA and 6 hours on an ERJ without lavatory. The complaint does compile into DOT monthly reports which are the basis of consumer stories for most hated airline and similar hyperbole.
UPDATE: I receive a PHONE CALL from United earlier today. They stated they were "so sorry" that the agent I spoke with originally didn't suggest an earlier flight that would meet my needs, and they magically found space for me on earlier flight in the morning. As such, if anyone has their flight cancelled and isn't happy with whatever alternative United comes up, I would strongly suggest you file a complaint with the DOT. Apparently it's the only way you can get United's attention! ^
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
UPDATE: I receive a PHONE CALL from United earlier today. They stated they were "so sorry" that the agent I spoke with originally didn't suggest an earlier flight that would meet my needs, and they magically found space for me on earlier flight in the morning. As such, if anyone has their flight cancelled and isn't happy with whatever alternative United comes up, I would strongly suggest you file a complaint with the DOT. Apparently it's the only way you can get United's attention! ^
Well done. I have had the same experience of a formal DOT complaint changing UA's tune, albeit regarding a refund for ground transport made necessary by a UA rebook, which is not quite the same as your case.

Before DOT: denial and dismissal from UA, including a snide email saying it was "simply good business" for them not to entertain requests like mine.

After DOT: perky phone call asking where I'd like the check sent, and it'll be in the mail today, etc.

I will never understand a corporate policy that says give customers the back of your hand, no matter what, until they get the government involved -- then capitulate.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
As another data point: my ORD to Toronto flight from Tuesday of this week (A320 I believe) was similarly cancelled 4-5 days in advance. First time ever for me. When I called in the 1K agent mentioned a memo from last week about proactive CXL. No specifics though.
Worked out for me. I went thru IAH instead and was able to confirm upgrades on both segments including my first ever EMB-175 with the new lunch service (woo-hoo!).
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
Well done. I have had the same experience of a formal DOT complaint changing UA's tune, albeit regarding a refund for ground transport made necessary by a UA rebook, which is not quite the same as your case.

Before DOT: denial and dismissal from UA, including a snide email saying it was "simply good business" for them not to entertain requests like mine.

After DOT: perky phone call asking where I'd like the check sent, and it'll be in the mail today, etc.

I will never understand a corporate policy that says give customers the back of your hand, no matter what, until they get the government involved -- then capitulate.
No surprise. I had to stick the regulators on T-Mobile once when they tried to hold a number hostage. (My defunct former employer owed the money, not me.) Amazing the turnabout when Washington is breathing down their neck.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:32 am

Given I still haven't heard back from customer service after a week I went ahead and used DOT form.

Just ridiculous that I have to frantically rebook flight to make it to LAX in time (which I could have booked fro $150 less than SNA flight), then rent a car as a result of "operational difficulties" and yet no travel voucher or anything is offered.

Considering I am Gold status and had paid for BusinessFirst PS service on way back you would think they would try to be a bit more accommodating.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jws43yale
Given I still haven't heard back from customer service after a week I went ahead and used DOT form.

Just ridiculous that I have to frantically rebook flight to make it to LAX in time (which I could have booked fro $150 less than SNA flight), then rent a car as a result of "operational difficulties" and yet no travel voucher or anything is offered.

Considering I am Gold status and had paid for BusinessFirst PS service on way back you would think they would try to be a bit more accommodating.
You have now taken the right step to encourage them to be accommodating by your DOT complaint filing. I expect you will be back shortly to report that United called you and took care of the issue they caused.

United is just begging for increased regulation.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posting for completion.

Today I received an email from United apologizing for the operational disruption and went on to explain that certain disruptions are beyond airline control; weather, ATC, etc. So no admission of fault but it did come with a promise of a $100 travel credit under separate cover. That roughly covers the premium I paid for the schedule over other carriers. It also means that I will be incentivized to choosing United again.

Back story: I booked UA based on a very strong price advantage for a trip last September and have collected 3 VDB vouchers on that trip and sequential trips booked on the prior vouchers. This was to be the last of that stockpile.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: UAL 1K 1.3MM till 1/31/2015 Bye Smissek, Delta Plat. Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres. Circle
Originally Posted by tkc98110
This is new to me--flying SEA-SFO on 6/24, yesterday I was rebooked on a flight several hours later, and just now received this notification from UA "Your flight on Jun. 24 (UA1531) from Seattle to San Francisco has been canceled due to operational difficulties."

Does that mean a light load? Just wondering.....

Just out of interest I notice you are based in Seattle. Why have you not switched to Delta? After 10 years as a United 1K I jumped ship around August of last year with a Delta Platinum challenge and never looked back.

Flying Delta is boringly predictable. The flights depart and arrive on time - I have not experienced any significant flight delays and no cancellations. in 12 months of flying. The front line staff and cabin crew are the exact opposite of United's disgruntled employees. The inflight experience is far better than United and with the Delta buildup, the route map is orders of magnitude better than United. Not to rag on United but from my view, United does not make sense for Seattle based fliers.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Exclamation 2 days advance notice - flight delays 2hrs10mins due to flight crew availability ?!

Just received an email from United saying the flight that will depart after 2 days will have a 2 hrs 10 mins delay because of flight crew availability. I have never come across with this kind of 2-day advance notice from United despite being 2 million mile flyer. In the email, I'm asked to check in according to the original departure time at 10:25am, so do I really need to get to the airport by 8:25am and sit there for 4 hours for the delayed flight? Does the shortage of flight crew have anything to do with the staff having the protest against United management starting on 16 July? I have a gut feeling that the flight will end up being canceled.

Here is the email:
Confirmation number: XXXXXX
United flight UA116 on July 20 is delayed due to flight crew availability.
Now departs: 12:30 p.m. on July 20, Hong Kong, HK, CN (HKG)
Now arrives: 3:40 p.m. on July 20 at New York/Newark, NJ, US (EWR - Liberty)

Please be at the gate for boarding prior to the original scheduled departure time of 10:25 a.m., as the departure time could be revised again.

Information is subject to change. For up-to-the-minute flight status information, go to united.com, use the United mobile app or check flight information screens at the airport.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
UA 117, EWR-HKG, DEP 7/17, is scheduled to arrive 5 hours late, and will now arrive after midnight 7/19.
If that is the crew that is scheduled to work your flight, that could explain why your flight is delayed (assuming that the crew has a contractual right to have a 36 hour layover).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.