Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Providing Advance Notice (multiple days) of Delays/Cancellations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Providing Advance Notice (multiple days) of Delays/Cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Flight Delay Warning 4 Days Before Departure???

Seriously, what the heck is going on with this airline?

4 days before departure I get a delay warning due to aircraft maintenance??

4 days is not enough time to have an aircraft ready to fly? Not enough time to substitute another aircraft?

How utterly ridiculous
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K
What route? (What equipment type? They're down a 744 right now, aren't they?)
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
SFO NRT. 744....so that means we're getting the damaged plane? This is their key 744 route...they need to get it together asap.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bocastephen
so that means we're getting the damaged plane?
I can guarantee with 100% certainty that you will not get a damaged plane.

This is their key 744 route...
By whose definition of "key"? This statement smacks a bit of DYKWIA.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I can guarantee with 100% certainty that you will not get a damaged plane.
Obviously I know I'm not getting a damaged plane, my statement should be clear that appears we're getting the aircraft was damaged and is currently in repair.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Obviously I know I'm not getting a damaged plane, my statement should be clear that appears we're getting the aircraft was damaged and is currently in repair.
No, I think the a/c that was damaged was United's charter 744 N194UA, which you are unlikely to see on SFO-NRT, and I think they have had some equipment shortages while rotating in "normal" 744s to satisfy charter service demand. This is thirdhand speculation/info from FlyerTalk.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Try calling and getting re-routed to a superior NH flight experience?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Try calling and getting re-routed to a superior NH flight experience?
I'm upgraded with a GPU so I doubt they would move me to another carrier in J....my destination is actually TPE, but since the delay still leaves me with a 2.5hr connection, I don't think they would make a change for free even with R space SFO TPE...but I'm legitimately concerned about the delay growing and putting my connection at risk by the day of flight
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Is it possible it's just a system bug or some mistake that's resulted in the delay notification? Seems absurd to have a 4-day notice on a relatively short delay.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
I'm upgraded with a GPU so I doubt they would move me to another carrier in J....my destination is actually TPE, but since the delay still leaves me with a 2.5hr connection, I don't think they would make a change for free even with R space SFO TPE...but I'm legitimately concerned about the delay growing and putting my connection at risk by the day of flight
Since they know delays are usually "rolling", if you get the "right" agent they will proactively move you to SFO - TPE in J.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by denuaflier
Since they know delays are usually "rolling", if you get the "right" agent they will proactively move you to SFO - TPE in J.
Exactly...you can pitch it as a win/win situation for both you (boca) and UA
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

On the phone with the 1K desk and they say there is no delay for my flight nor is my itinerary tagged with a delay...but she can see the email that was sent out. Checking now but she suspects an IT glitch.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
With the number of mechanical delays I've had in the last few months, perhaps they're just being proactive. Like when the weatherman says there's a 50% chance of rain next week.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Alls well that ends well...even if a bit odd.

So agent #1 would not make the change because she could not see the delay, but advised me to call back and try again if the delay was still posting after midnight this morning.

It was, so I called back and the agent confirmed the delay was due to maintenance planned on the 747 coming in from FRA - which led me to think the delay could go longer, or the flight could be canceled that day, a risk I did not want, so I requested and she graciously moved us from SFO NRT TPE to the SFO TPE nonstop and even modified the first flight so we weren't leaving so early and sitting in the lounge for 5.5 hours.

One odd thing - after she reissued the tickets and I checked on them later, the first segment was moved to a later flight leaving us with a 2hr connection, which I don't want to risk at SFO. I called to have the flight moved back and the agent told me an automated system rebooked me without intervention (or permission) to shorten my connection time - a change I did not like, but we got everything put back and a block on further automated changes like that.

Of course, as of this morning, the SFO NRT flight is showing on time with a new ship number So no upper deck 747 or ANA Lounge on the flight over (and stuck in middle J seat section SFO TPE), but I didn't like the unpredictability with the NRT flight, so I'm happy with the change.

Yes, it was a positive thing that UA pre-warned everyone about the delay due to maintenance, and yes it was a positive thing that I was pro-actively moved to a less risky routing.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Seriously, what the heck is going on with this airline?

4 days before departure I get a delay warning due to aircraft maintenance??

4 days is not enough time to have an aircraft ready to fly? Not enough time to substitute another aircraft?

How utterly ridiculous
So United was not being utterly ridiculous, and employed the airline industry best practice of advising the customer as soon as it knew that a maintenance delay was likely, AND offered you a protection option that is even better than what you originally had.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.