Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Providing Advance Notice (multiple days) of Delays/Cancellations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Providing Advance Notice (multiple days) of Delays/Cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:07 pm

I had the same issue! I called United and the booking agent put me on ANA 846 (leaving SIN 12:35 am and getting to NRT 8:45 am) and ANA 12 (leaving NRT 10:45 am and getting to ORD 8:25 am). She was also unsure of why the flight was delayed and was confused herself...
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:36 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by malgudi
A friendly suggestion:

Lots of verbiage in the OP ... perhaps try distilling it down to make it easier to read?
I rather enjoyed the read ^

Means I don't have to watch my prerecorded programs, but go straight to 10 o'clock news (11 to those not in flyover states).

Originally Posted by st530
Ah, FlyerTalk. Where you can get flamed for leaving out details, and also for writing too much.
^
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
OP has two versions. This is perfect for FTers. Next time, put the short one ahead the longer version. No one will complain then.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA EXP, VS (silver-for-life revoked), DL, WN, AS, Hilton diamond, Marriott gold
Apparently there are all sorts of problems with flights departing from Asia because of the date line. When I landed in NRT a few months ago I had an alert that NRT-SIN was 3 hours late, but airport monitors showed it on time. Checked with ANA lounge agents who called UA and confirmed I had a ghost status from another day's flight. I'd ignore any flight update data for any flight departing Asia.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by 1111
Apparently there are all sorts of problems with flights departing from Asia because of the date line. When I landed in NRT a few months ago I had an alert that NRT-SIN was 3 hours late, but airport monitors showed it on time. Checked with ANA lounge agents who called UA and confirmed I had a ghost status from another day's flight. I'd ignore any flight update data for any flight departing Asia.
If (for the sake of argument) such update data should be ignored, then few flyers on UA 838 on Sept 25 are heeding your advice, as since the time I first got the alert this morning (local time), F has gone from booked 7 to booked 3, while C has gone from booked 32 to booked 11. And while I can't tell what's happening in Y because I didn't look at the seat map earlier, the current seat map looks pretty empty. If none of these people should be re-booking due to a ghost update status, then UA is even more of a mess than I thought.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:28 pm

Apparently there are all sorts of problems with flights departing from Asia because of the date line. ...
This is the best excuse I've seen in a while.

I'd just like to point out that the date line has existed, basically, forever and that all other global airlines are able to fly through it without problems.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:31 pm

0838/25sep
f sin/etd 945a l03.35 flight crew availability
f nrt/eta 525p l03.05 etd 510p on time
f sfo/eta 1035a on time

sked sin orig 610a gtd ship 2795
nrt 220p 510p gta gtd ship 8479
sfo 1035a term gta intl
Not sure why agents can't see crew avail issues but i've had this happen to me before as well (and it can get very annoying when agents don't rebook you because of the "glitch").
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:33 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
If none of these people should be re-booking due to a ghost update status, then UA is even more of a mess than I thought.
Ya, it may be that agents have different screens.

A couple of years ago UA cancelled my PVG- SFO full THREE days in advance, and sent me an email saying that.

When I called from Asia, agent said, no, it's still there, despite UAL.com not showing the fligh and UAL cargo ALSO not showing the flight.

Lost connection, second call, second agent, second verse, same as first

Finally just before being disconnected again ( ), agent finally saw it - sort of.

Third call finally confirmed CX, and my half day in Shanghai vanished and I had to get to airport to catch early CA flight to KiX only to wait for six hours for a flight back to SFO

Glad to see stellar IT team has things in hand now .... NOT
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA EXP, VS (silver-for-life revoked), DL, WN, AS, Hilton diamond, Marriott gold
If none of these people should be re-booking due to a ghost update status, then UA is even more of a mess than I thought.
Nothing surprises me anymore. I can't remember the details, but I had other info at the time that led me to believe this was the case. I totally believe it. They're not the only airline with some IT problems that are seriously o.O
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tyotochi
I had the same issue! I called United and the booking agent put me on ANA 846 (leaving SIN 12:35 am and getting to NRT 8:45 am) and ANA 12 (leaving NRT 10:45 am and getting to ORD 8:25 am). She was also unsure of why the flight was delayed and was confused herself...
Welcome to FT, tyotochi!

Is your flight actually/coincidentially on the same date like OP?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:01 am

I had the same issue back in April, LHR to IAH, so nothing to do with date lines There were 4 or 5 messages communicating a delay getting progressively worse to 12 hrs (which would have made a 34 hr journey into 58!), before confirmation that the flight would, indeed, be on time.

Luckily all the messages came through overnight whilst I was asleep so I made it to the flight.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Red face

Nothing surprises me anymore ...
Indeed, UA's IT dev efforts are seriously lacking allowing such errors to occur & recur uncorrected.

Originally Posted by FlyWorld
Apparently there are all sorts of problems with flights departing from Asia because of the date line....
This is the best excuse I've seen in a while...
+1

Originally Posted by malgudi
... Lots of verbiage in the OP ... perhaps try distilling it down to make it easier to read? ...
All the details are important in this trade.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Inbound plane is about 30 minutes out right now, right on time. Flightaware still shows 4 hour delay for flight back to Narita. This is getting exciting.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme
Inbound plane is about 30 minutes out right now, right on time. Flightaware still shows 4 hour delay for flight back to Narita. This is getting exciting.
Interesting indeed. Keep us posted. Who knows. some of us might be glad to know about your experience down the road.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
So I'm booked on UA 838 SIN-NRT this Friday Sept 25, continuing to IAH on UA 6. UA 838 is scheduled 610a departure 220p arrival. UA 6 is not scheduled to depart until 435p. On Tuesday Sept 22 I get an email from UA saying that UA 838 is "delayed due to operational difficulties," now departs 735a arrives 315p. I thought it was very odd to get such an email three days out, but I figured no biggie, still plenty of time to catch UA 6. Yesterday (local time) Sept 23 we finish up meetings in SIN early, one of my colleagues with the same itinerary as I checks with Global Services to see if he can switch his return to Thursday Sept 24. Apparently he cannot as there are no business seats SIN-NRT. As an aside, however, the GS rep insists that UA 838 is not delayed on Sept 25, that the email he received (same one that I received) is wrong, it's a glitch, and the flight is scheduled for on-time departure at 610a.

Fast forward to this morning local time (Sept 24), I wake up and have another "update" email from UA saying that UA 838 on Friday Sept 25 now departs at 945a, arrives 525p. This will cause a misconnect to UA 6.
Well UA couldn't get its act together on 9/24 so UA 838 NRT-SFO is now late on 9/25 with ETD at 2100. I know your final is IAH, but you could have stayed on UA all the way from SIN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.