FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Providing Advance Notice (multiple days) of Delays/Cancellations
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:41 pm
BearX220
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Morrissey
UPDATE: I receive a PHONE CALL from United earlier today. They stated they were "so sorry" that the agent I spoke with originally didn't suggest an earlier flight that would meet my needs, and they magically found space for me on earlier flight in the morning. As such, if anyone has their flight cancelled and isn't happy with whatever alternative United comes up, I would strongly suggest you file a complaint with the DOT. Apparently it's the only way you can get United's attention! ^
Well done. I have had the same experience of a formal DOT complaint changing UA's tune, albeit regarding a refund for ground transport made necessary by a UA rebook, which is not quite the same as your case.

Before DOT: denial and dismissal from UA, including a snide email saying it was "simply good business" for them not to entertain requests like mine.

After DOT: perky phone call asking where I'd like the check sent, and it'll be in the mail today, etc.

I will never understand a corporate policy that says give customers the back of your hand, no matter what, until they get the government involved -- then capitulate.