Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Only $50 change fee if fare goes down within 30 days... Did I miss the memo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: onthesam
Not publicly published but a long existing practice
Originally Posted by sfmaus
Original ticket must have been purchased on united.com within 30 days
Itinerary must be exact match, but different fare class is okay.
Fare difference must be >= $100.
$50 processing fee deducted and remainder issued as TCVA.
Multiple reports of success in 2019 including one in June and one in July, 2019 in which the $50 processing fee was charged separately and then an ETC issued for the gross fare difference.
Another recent case in this thread is late 2018.

A successful case of repricing and keeping a confirmed upgrade.
Print Wikipost

Only $50 change fee if fare goes down within 30 days... Did I miss the memo?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2020, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by fwfdan
So we booked a flight using ETCs on August 14th for travel in February and it looks like the fares have dropped by about $70 for each ticket. I think with the current state of things there is nothing we can do as changes do not result in any residual value being returned (in any form). I just wanted to check to see if my understanding is correct.
Unless there is a schedule change that causes a significant difference in flight times they may agree to refund you but this far out with Covid still haunting us, I doubt UA will be making schedule changes for Feb any time soon
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So we booked a flight using ETCs on August 14th for travel in February and it looks like the fares have dropped by about $70 for each ticket. I think with the current state of things there is nothing we can do as changes do not result in any residual value being returned (in any form). I just wanted to check to see if my understanding is correct.
Is it within 30 days of booking? appears it was
Worth checking if this is still true, Only $50 change fee if fare goes down within 30 days... Did I miss the memo?

But the delta is perhaps too small to bother.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:29 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Is it within 30 days of booking? appears it was
Worth checking if this is still true, Only $50 change fee if fare goes down within 30 days... Did I miss the memo?

But the delta is perhaps too small to bother.

I assume it is $50 per ticket? If so, might give it a try but would be about $47 combined for the two tickets. Might give a call tomorrow to see.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I assume it is $50 per ticket?....
Yes
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:56 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by fly747first
Unless there is a schedule change that causes a significant difference in flight times they may agree to refund you but this far out with Covid still haunting us, I doubt UA will be making schedule changes for Feb any time soon
It actually already has had a schedule change! Almost 2 hours departure time on outbound (1:50) ... I was very surprised (and pleased with) the change.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Just cancel, get the $ as an ETC, and rebook. No fussing with change fees.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
Just cancel, get the $ as an ETC, and rebook. No fussing with change fees.
Getting ETCs for recently purchased tickets may not be an option (especially post 1 August purchases)
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
It actually already has had a schedule change! Almost 2 hours departure time on outbound (1:50) ... I was very surprised (and pleased with) the change.
Good for you! I guess I haven't been as lucky... UA has only made changes to my flights closer in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.