Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Only $50 change fee if fare goes down within 30 days... Did I miss the memo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: onthesam
Not publicly published but a long existing practice
Originally Posted by sfmaus
Original ticket must have been purchased on united.com within 30 days
Itinerary must be exact match, but different fare class is okay.
Fare difference must be >= $100.
$50 processing fee deducted and remainder issued as TCVA.
Multiple reports of success in 2019 including one in June and one in July, 2019 in which the $50 processing fee was charged separately and then an ETC issued for the gross fare difference.
Another recent case in this thread is late 2018.

A successful case of repricing and keeping a confirmed upgrade.
Print Wikipost

Only $50 change fee if fare goes down within 30 days... Did I miss the memo?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
^ Thanks UA ^ I change I like ^

$50 is wonderful compared to $400 change fee on most intl J tickets. Definitely a positive change ^
Old May 4, 2015, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I had a similar experience a few months ago
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ce-period.html

I posted a message here hoping to find someone that knew of a written policy
Old May 4, 2015, 3:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
I used this for a change in February, and was quite relieved to know I would only lay $50 and receive the rest in a voucher. However, they told me that they made an exception because they are not supposed to do this with FareLock reservations.
Old May 4, 2015, 3:51 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
I'm guessing this doesn't have to be same fare class? I bought a ticket on Friday, and they appear to have opened a lower fare bucket over the weekend for the same flights, dropping the price by about $240.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
If you look at my case, it did not. The agent tried to tell me I couldnt use my RPU anymore because it dropped from W to T class and because she thought HI was international.

I tried finding a written policy or in the fare rules but came up empty.

If you have a flight that dropped 240, you should call either way to get at least the $40 back.

Last edited by eng3; May 4, 2015 at 7:49 am
Old May 4, 2015, 8:04 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
This is not a new policy. I have heard and read reports of it for others, not me, for the past 3 years. My first recollection was a friend with a family of 4 going to Hawaii for the Thanksgiving holiday. There is mention of it in another FT thread I can't find through search.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: UA gold
Originally Posted by Pat89339
This is not a new policy. I have heard and read reports of it for others, not me, for the past 3 years. My first recollection was a friend with a family of 4 going to Hawaii for the Thanksgiving holiday. There is mention of it in another FT thread I can't find through search.
Don't know how old the policy is, but the rules as explained to me by a seemingly knowledgable agent are:

The other odd thing is that in my case the lowered fares were not visible to a reservations agent and the transactions were handled by web support.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:58 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by sfmaus
Don't know how old the policy is, but the rules as explained to me by a seemingly knowledgable agent are:

The other odd thing is that in my case the lowered fares were not visible to a reservations agent and the transactions were handled by web support.
So the $50 precession fee is from old money* as opposed to paying the $50 with your credit card?

*http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...old-money.html

Last edited by goalie; May 4, 2015 at 8:05 pm
Old May 4, 2015, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
So the $50 precession fee is from old money* as opposed to paying the $50 with your credit card?

*http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...old-money.html
Yes. Deducted from the voucher. In the experience I mention above with two separate vouchers for two separate fare reductions, the first agent took a CC#, but then told me it would be deducted from the voucher. The second voucher went much more smoothly and I was never asked for a CC#.
Old May 4, 2015, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by rishib
I'm guessing this doesn't have to be same fare class? I bought a ticket on Friday, and they appear to have opened a lower fare bucket over the weekend for the same flights, dropping the price by about $240.
Must be same cabin, but booking class can be different.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:27 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
So, can I buy a $1500 F ticket and a few days later call and say I found a D, Z or P fare for $600 and get a TCV for 1500-600-50 or $850? I can think of some "unique" situations where the $50 would be worth it?

If a fare drops twice (or more!), can I get 2 TCVs, assuming 2 $50 processing fees and that each drop is at least $100
Old May 4, 2015, 9:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Vulcan
So, can I buy a $1500 F ticket and a few days later call and say I found a D, Z or P fare for $600 and get a TCV for 1500-600-50 or $850? I can think of some "unique" situations where the $50 would be worth it?....
In this case, the original ticket likely will be refundable, so refunding and repurchasing avoids the $50 deduction.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:37 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
Came back and said she got the fare but since it is a T fare I cant use my upgrade because I need W+. I was getting frustrated after waiting 45min and interrupted her mid-sentance and said "No!, that's only for GPUs". To which she said, "but it's international", where I said "Hawaii is not international!!".
Actually, you were BOTH wrong (or maybe your wording is throwing me off - you mean GPU on int'l)

GPU AND RPU can both be used on ANY domestic flight to u/g @:-)

But ^ for posting and sticking to your guns to get the job done.
Old May 4, 2015, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Vulcan
If a fare drops twice (or more!), can I get 2 TCVs, assuming 2 $50 processing fees and that each drop is at least $100
Yes. This is exactly what happened to me. An $820 drop followed the next day by a $100 drop. I have a $770 and a $50 voucher. As long as both decreases are in the original 30 day window you're good.
Old May 5, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
Called it in last night. Agent originally quoted the $200 change fee to do it, and I mentioned the $50 fee policy, and she checked with her supervisor. Supervisor was able to process. Saved $190. Good stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.