Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Only $50 change fee if fare goes down within 30 days... Did I miss the memo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: onthesam
Not publicly published but a long existing practice
Originally Posted by sfmaus
Original ticket must have been purchased on united.com within 30 days
Itinerary must be exact match, but different fare class is okay.
Fare difference must be >= $100.
$50 processing fee deducted and remainder issued as TCVA.
Multiple reports of success in 2019 including one in June and one in July, 2019 in which the $50 processing fee was charged separately and then an ETC issued for the gross fare difference.
Another recent case in this thread is late 2018.

A successful case of repricing and keeping a confirmed upgrade.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I haven't encounted this 30 day policy. Would be nice if its an actual policy. Hope so! Thanks OP for ppsting this ans Safe Travels..
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:42 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eng3
Does it have something to do with me being 1K?
My non-FTer friend who did it was a 2P at the time.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Can we retitle this thread Rumor or unsubstantiated or the like?

Since such a policy would be completely contrary to revenue management unless it is confirmed in writing somewhere it is really misleading to those who come here for guidance.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
I dunno about unsubstantiated because I got the same offer too .
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by 787fan
I dunno about unsubstantiated because I got the same offer too .
Recently or " about a year before the merger,,,,,,2008" (sic)
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
its not unsubstantiated, I have a receipt, and others have gotten the same offer. I listed the name of the "policy" that the rep gave me, "30-day grace period" and put a question mark after it. I think it is pretty clear. Maybe there should be a colon after "Fare Drop". I wasn't clear if this grace period is for fare drops (repricing) only or also works for route changes

Now the rep did say she had never heard of this policy either (ofcourse she thought Hawaii was international too). Perhaps someone who is better at deciphering fare rules could do a quick search on my route and use a W fare and see if they can find anything. I looked through it, searched for "30" "50" and read the penalty sections but couldnt find anything.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
its not unsubstantiated, I have a receipt, and others have gotten the same offer. I listed the name of the "policy" that the rep gave me, "30-day grace period" and put a question mark after it. I think it is pretty clear. Maybe there should be a colon after "Fare Drop". I wasn't clear if this grace period is for fare drops (repricing) only or also works for route changes

Now the rep did say she had never heard of this policy either (ofcourse she thought Hawaii was international too). Perhaps someone who is better at deciphering fare rules could do a quick search on my route and use a W fare and see if they can find anything. I looked through it, searched for "30" "50" and read the penalty sections but couldnt find anything.
I think you are confusing a fare adjustment with a stated policy. I think if this were an official policy UA marketing would be trumpeting it through the streets.

I'm not disputing people have had fares adjusted, just the anecdata that it is a stated policy of UA
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: UA-Plat, AA - EXP, SPG-Gold

Well Im suprised that united just issued me a ETV for the differance and charged me $50 its still nice of them.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by chgodude
Well Im suprised that united just issued me a ETV for the differance and charged me $50 its still nice of them.
That is indeed unexpectedly-nice of them! Fuzzy interpretation of the rules and dates? You almost moved the clock back a decade, to when you could re-fare at any time, without a change fee (provided it was booked on UA.com).
Old May 2, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: UA 1k 1mil. Marriott Titanium
I thought they were doing it like orbitz when the price drops for the ticket in the same fare class they refund you the difference. Orbitz did it automatically and didn't need to call them. UA should not charge the $50 fee since Orbitz doesn't do it. I can understand if moving to a different fare class but not for the same fare class. It's also been my experience depends on the rep your talking to if they want to charge you or not.
Old May 2, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA gold

* Bought a multi-city business class transpac for $3900 through united.com on April 11.
* Looked at the same routing today on united.com and it was $3100.
* Called reservations and they could not pull up the fare and transferred me to web support.
* Web support found the fare on-line and told me I'd get a e-cert for the fare difference. Said there'd be a $50 processing fee and took a CC number. Put me on hold while they processed it.
* Ten or 15 minutes later came back and told me the $50 would be deducted from the e-cert.
* Received a $770 TCVA in my email—the difference between the fares minus $50.

Is this the normal way that fare differences are processed? I thought that I would be subject to the $300 change fee and might have to pay that up-front.

Last edited by sfmaus; May 3, 2015 at 10:10 am Reason: typo
Old May 3, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: UA gold
Originally Posted by sfmaus
* Bought a multi-city business class transpac for $3900 through united.com on April 11.
* Looked at the same routing today on united.com and it was $3100.
* Called reservations and they could not pull up the fare and transferred me to web support.
* Web support found the fare on-line and told me I'd get a e-cert for the fare difference. Said there'd be a $50 processing fee and took a CC number. Put me on hold while they processed it.
* Ten or 15 minutes later came back and told me the $50 would be deducted from the e-cert.
* Received a $770 TCVA in my email—the difference between the fares minus $50.

Is this the normal way that fare differences are processed? I thought that I would be subject to the $300 change fee and might have to pay that up-front.
To answer my own question—The policy is that if you buy a ticket on united.com and the same fare becomes available at a lower price within 30 days you can call and get it refared with the difference in a TCVA minus a $50 processing fee. The decrease must be $100 or greater.

In my particular case the fare dropped another $100 and I got a $50 TCVA issued.

Last edited by sfmaus; May 3, 2015 at 10:14 am Reason: typo due to overly agressive auto correct
Old May 3, 2015, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JC1976
I thought they were doing it like orbitz when the price drops for the ticket in the same fare class they refund you the difference. Orbitz did it automatically and didn't need to call them. UA should not charge the $50 fee since Orbitz doesn't do it. I can understand if moving to a different fare class but not for the same fare class. It's also been my experience depends on the rep your talking to if they want to charge you or not.
Why would you assume since Orbitz does it one way, UA would do the same? UA and orbitz aren't even the same kind of company - one is a travel agency and the other an airline.

The Orbitz guarantee also had the restriction that someone had to buy the lower price ticket on Orbitz to get the difference back. If no one bought the ticket at the lower price point, he guarantee didn't apply.
Old May 3, 2015, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

Spoke with UA today (2 calls, two itins). I asked about changing to a lower fare on each. They told me of a (new?) policy in which if the fare goes down within 30 days of ticketing, there is only a $50 change fee.

I am late to the party, or is this a new feature?

(Yes, I know.... once upon a time you could always get a lower fare as long as the routing remained the same).
Old May 3, 2015, 11:41 pm

Not sure the reasoning, but i welcome the change.

I wonder if we have come full circle and UA is trying to get people back to their site - and more-so, back to booking 016 ticket stock. For those who don't need PQD (either they've reached their tier threshold or are exempt), there aren't tremendous reasons to keep business at United's website, I don't believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.