Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Only $50 change fee if fare goes down within 30 days... Did I miss the memo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: onthesam
Not publicly published but a long existing practice
Originally Posted by sfmaus
Original ticket must have been purchased on united.com within 30 days
Itinerary must be exact match, but different fare class is okay.
Fare difference must be >= $100.
$50 processing fee deducted and remainder issued as TCVA.
Multiple reports of success in 2019 including one in June and one in July, 2019 in which the $50 processing fee was charged separately and then an ETC issued for the gross fare difference.
Another recent case in this thread is late 2018.

A successful case of repricing and keeping a confirmed upgrade.
Print Wikipost

Only $50 change fee if fare goes down within 30 days... Did I miss the memo?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DLrunner
I asked very politely and I got the full refund of the fare difference without the $50 charge per ticket. I did have to book a new itinerary at the lower price and then UA customer service cancelled and refunded the old itinerary. And gained a more loyal customer.

FWIW my fare drop was $170 per ticket times 4 tickets.
very nice. Happened to me as well a couple of months ago through the corporate TA. Expected they would just have a travel credit but they canceled the old ticket for free and issued a new one.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat/1MM, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, NEXUS
United fare “Downgrade Policy” still intact

Originally Posted by cfischer
If on UA metal they can keep the UG intact. Takes a bit of finagling, but I have gotten it done before. Make sure the agent understands that before making any changes. The problems arise when you have upgraded segments on airline partners ... those don't survive ticket re-issues.
Just want to confirm to everyone that United’s fare “downgrade policy” is still very much intact. Just succeeded ingetting a fare difference issued to me via ETC (minus $50.00 service charge) in the amount of $118 on my future reservation from Seattle to Beijing.
The key take home point:
1. Fare difference must be >$50
2. Must be purchased within 30 days and via United.com only
3. Must be on exactly the same flights/itinerary
4. Premier Service Desk may not be able to see all the website fare offered on United.com; if that’s the case, ask to be transferred to the Web Help Desk.
5. $50 charge per ticket, not per reservation
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Extremely helpful agent! I can now also confirm policy is indeed intact. Pretty much everything on this thread is correct.

Though she originally surmised the rule (similar to the 24-hour rule) required a refare to be within 30 days of original issue (and not reissue), the phone agent end up reading the entire policy right off the screen as we determined that a price change within 30 days of a reissue date was indeed permitted a refund, and that the itinerary need not have UA metal on it (NH codeshare and NH native).

Original Purchase Date 6/2/19
Change Date 7/8/19
Refare Date: 7/14/19
Price Drop: $594.20

The agent initially could not pull up the fare but we did not need to go to the web desk -- rate desk was able to locate it. Paid $50 on a CC got my ETC for the gross fare difference.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:53 pm

Rebook United ticket using miles

We booked flights last Sunday using miles.
Notice same flights now have lower mileage values.
Is there an honest way to cancel and rebook using lower mileage values without incurring additional fees?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by GoofyW
We booked flights last Sunday using miles.
Notice same flights now have lower mileage values.
Is there an honest way to cancel and rebook using lower mileage values without incurring additional fees?
Have 1K/GS status or wait for a schedule change then cancel and rebook (and in that time the award space might change again).
Old Nov 3, 2019, 12:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A belated welcome to FT!, GoofyW

UA has a policy of refunding paid fare drops within the first 30 days of purchase for a $50 service fee. Worth a try for award tickets.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, UA Premier Platinum, National Executive
Fare dropped after tickets booked

I have a trip to India booked in August for my family of 4. Since I booked the ticket in January, the fares have dropped ~$2000 for the same flights. Do I have any option to get a refund of the difference, or to cancel and rebook at the lower rate?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a trip to India booked in August for my family of 4. Since I booked the ticket in January, the fares have dropped ~$2000 for the same flights. Do I have any option to get a refund of the difference, or to cancel and rebook at the lower rate?
Travel may be still restricted or subject to health risks in August
What is in the t&c's for cancellation? {no one on FT know the t&c's you agreed to}
If the price rises do you contact the airline to pay more?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For most tickets booked prior to March 2, you can elect to pay the change fee and rebook to the lower fare. If your tickets are non-refundable, the difference would be returned as an Electronic Travel Credit good for two years. Note that non-refundable fares booked today are being written with a provision where United would keep the difference if the fare were to drop yet again. (FYI: for non-refundable fares, expect to be asked to pay the change fee in new money -- they generally won't subtract it from the amount to be refunded. So, if the change fee is $300 per person, you'd pay $1200 and get a travel credit for $2000.

Some agents may be willing to offer to do this for a $50 administrative fee, instead of the entire change fee, but I believe that policy is only supposed to be good for 30 days after the original ticketing, so it may not apply.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
For most tickets booked prior to March 2, you can elect to pay the change fee and rebook to the lower fare. If your tickets are non-refundable, the difference would be returned as an Electronic Travel Credit good for two years. Note that non-refundable fares booked today are being written with a provision where United would keep the difference if the fare were to drop yet again. (FYI: for non-refundable fares, expect to be asked to pay the change fee in new money -- they generally won't subtract it from the amount to be refunded. So, if the change fee is $300 per person, you'd pay $1200 and get a travel credit for $2000.

Some agents may be willing to offer to do this for a $50 administrative fee, instead of the entire change fee, but I believe that policy is only supposed to be good for 30 days after the original ticketing, so it may not apply.
yup, the $50 fee is only when the fare drops within 30 days (assuming that is still allowed, anymore). Perhaps a bit OT for the OP, but doesn’t seem that would apply for tickets booked March and after (as presumably UA would keep any residual).

so, yeah, OP, assuming tickets were $500 cheaper per person, and change fee is standard $300 (assuming international Y), then you’d pay the $300 change fee per person in new money, have the full value of the old tickets to use against the new, and receive 4 x $200 ETCs to use - for essentially travel in the next 3 years (ETC is valid for 2 years, for any flight available on the schedule at time of booking, which is almost a year in advance. One note: ETC is only good for UA/UAX-operates flights - so if you wanted to use for next India trip, but it involves an LH segment, or onward domestic India segment on AI or Vistara, you wouldn’t be able to use it for that.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, UA Premier Platinum, National Executive
Update: Called the premier desk. Got the tickets repriced at the lower level and got ETCs for the difference. Also did not have to pay any change fee. I love UA.
Mwenenzi, jsloan, cfischer and 7 others like this.

Last edited by DLrunner; Apr 6, 2020 at 3:47 pm
Old Apr 6, 2020, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Update: Called the premier desk. Got the tickets repriced at the lower level and got ETCs for the difference. Also did not have to pay any change fee. I love UA.
wow, that's amazing and surprising.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:07 pm

I thought new policy is no change fees. get an ETC. so sould be easy to reprice any tickets.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by deskover54
I thought new policy is no change fees. get an ETC. so sould be easy to reprice any tickets.
No

Purchased before 3 March 2020, no change fee if travel starts by 31 May 2020
Purchased starting 3 March 2020 til 30 April 2020, no change fees for next 12 months,

Booked in January, travel in August, no waiver presently
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 5:24 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
So we booked a flight using ETCs on August 14th for travel in February and it looks like the fares have dropped by about $70 for each ticket. I think with the current state of things there is nothing we can do as changes do not result in any residual value being returned (in any form). I just wanted to check to see if my understanding is correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.