Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Only $50 change fee if fare goes down within 30 days... Did I miss the memo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: onthesam
Not publicly published but a long existing practice
Originally Posted by sfmaus
Original ticket must have been purchased on united.com within 30 days
Itinerary must be exact match, but different fare class is okay.
Fare difference must be >= $100.
$50 processing fee deducted and remainder issued as TCVA.
Multiple reports of success in 2019 including one in June and one in July, 2019 in which the $50 processing fee was charged separately and then an ETC issued for the gross fare difference.
Another recent case in this thread is late 2018.

A successful case of repricing and keeping a confirmed upgrade.
Print Wikipost

Only $50 change fee if fare goes down within 30 days... Did I miss the memo?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
30 day re-fare grace period on business fare?

IIRC there is (or was) some kind fairly flexible re-fare policy on business tickets if the fare dropped within 30 days of purchase. I did this once a year or two ago, maybe a $50 fee and fare credit back, the full change fee was waived.

I am a 1k buying a P fare international that seems a bit pricey to me now, but don't want to wait. Does anyone know if i am remembering right and/or if something like this still exists?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:25 am

You would need to check the VOLUNTARY CHANGES section of the fare rules for the fare you wish to purchase. I just checked some TATL P fares and those changes carry the standard (and not a reduced) change fee.

For example:

BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY AND WITHIN TICKET VALIDITY
CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE OVERRIDDEN
BY THOSE OF UA INTERNATIONAL FARES
CHARGE USD 450.00 OR HIGHEST FEE OF ALL CHANGED FARE
COMPONENTS
- CATEGORY 19 DISCOUNTS APPLY AND
REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT TODAY
PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET-
1. AC/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA FARES ARE USED
2. PUBLIC FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED FARE IS IN
PUBLIC TARIFF. PRIVATE FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED
FARE IS IN PRIVATE TARIFF
3. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM REISSUE DATE TO
DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT
4. TKT REISSUE RESTRICTED TO UA OR ANY CARRIER
WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN LOWER FARE REFUND RESIDUAL THEN
ADD-COLLECT - REFUND VIA MCO
ENDORSEMENT BOX - HIGHER NON-REF AMT AND NEW
ENDORSEMENTS.

I don't expect much exceptions to this rule for any discounted INTL fare, but YMMV, so check the fare rules.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
I am a 1k buying a P fare international that seems a bit pricey to me now, but don't want to wait.
Highlighted key part. UA often doesn't offer Ps, and on many routes they have a 50 day advance purchase requirement.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I recall when I booked EWR-HNL (in Y upgraded using an RPU), the price would often drop by over $200. I'd call in and they'd refund me the difference "because it was within 30 days". sometimes they would charge me $50 and sometimes nothing. Either is better than $200.

I never figured out where in the rules this was spelled out.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:14 am

Any chance this could be related to this topic you started in 2014, but later followed by this topic?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Yes that is what I'm remembering (the first topic). don't know about the second topic.
I don't recall that we ever got to the bottom of this policy. I booked the same trip the next year and they didnt charge me the $50 fee at all. One isn't inclined to question the policy while on the phone when they are saving you hundreds of dollars.

I'm wondering if this same policy applies to the OP
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA GS & Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold (MM)
Our corporate travel agent will often refare to a lower price in the same class after booking, but I suspect that probably relates to our corporate contract with UA as opposed to a general policy. It's usually within a few days of booking when it happens.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Yes, you can still reprice tickets through UA for a $50 admin fee.

The flights must be exactly the same (no routing changes) and the fare class must be the same. Only fare class must be the same, not fare basis. There's a big difference.

If you book a "P" fare for $3700 r/t and it goes down to $3100 for the exact same flights then you qualify for the $600 refund minus the $50 admin fee. Just call UA and they'll adjust the ticket for you and give you a refund.

I've done this as recently as 2016.

-RM
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Goaliedad30
Our corporate travel agent will often refare to a lower price in the same class after booking, but I suspect that probably relates to our corporate contract with UA as opposed to a general policy. It's usually within a few days of booking when it happens.
If it's withing a few days then it's likely they are voiding the initial ticket and purchasing a new one. Most TA's can void a ticket until at least the end of the day after purchase, but if that's a weekend then it's the end of the next weekday, so you can get up to >3 days if the ticket was purchased on a Friday.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA GS & Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold (MM)
Originally Posted by docbert
If it's withing a few days then it's likely they are voiding the initial ticket and purchasing a new one. Most TA's can void a ticket until at least the end of the day after purchase, but if that's a weekend then it's the end of the next weekday, so you can get up to >3 days if the ticket was purchased on a Friday.
I'm not sure about that. When they do it, previously applied upgrades stay in force / cleared. I would think that if they voided the ticket, those would disappear and have to be reapplied.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: None anymore
The last time I talked to someone on the 1K line they told me they'll refund the difference but only in the form of a voucher.

I have no experience with the refund though.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
yes, used this recently on a UA issued P fare (was actually UA coded LX operated all the way) and got a credit (less $50) when after 25 days the fare went down by $700. Painless.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
What is policy if price falls after purchase??

In early June, I booked flights for two people SFO-SYD MEL-LAX-SFO leaving end of July. Price was high ($1691 each). Today I get alert from google flights that price is now $1051 each -- a reduction of $640 each. Original ticket in T class. New price is G class.

I assumed I could rebook new fare for a $300 change fee. I couldn't figure how to do online so I called and got a very nice agent. She found a way to waive fee (with permission of her "lead"), rebook for lower fare and issue two e-certs for $640 each. That was really nice of her.

But she told me something during the call I did not know. She said that the policy is that if fare goes down within 30 days of booking, they will issue credit for difference. I have never ever heard of this. Only the 24-hour free change/cancellation policy. She said she got permission to grant exception as we booked 35 days ago.

Is this really United policy (fare difference credit within 30 days of booking)? If so, where is it documented?. I'm not asking about my good fortune for a random exception, but rather what is official policy. I tried to search for it, but couldn't find anything.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobUAIntl
She said that the policy is that if fare goes down within 30 days of booking, they will issue credit for difference.
I've seen references to this policy before on this forum. For a while, they were requiring a $50 administrative fee. I'm not sure I've seen it documented, though.

After the expiration of the 30 days, your original plan would have worked (although, note that you would have been required to pay the change fee in "new money" rather than subtracting it from the voucher amount).
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
This is the first I've heard of a 30-day policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.