Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Incorrect / Ineligible projected earning information showing on my itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Posted 14 March 2015
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your comments regarding our display of MileagePlus earning information.

We are aware that there are some rare instances, where international surcharge is being excluding from the display of award miles and PQD when viewing your upcoming reservation on United.com. We expect to have the earnings display corrected shortly. Please rest assured that the final earnings reflected in your Account summary once you have flown will include the surcharge.

-UA Insider
NOTE: The overwhelming consensus is that preflight PQD/PQM/RDM information on an itinerary is frequently wrong for inexplicable reasons, but it being wrong on the itinerary has no bearing on whether correct PQD/PQM/RDM will post to your MP account after flying a segment. So don't worry if things look wrong pre-flight; it is only necessary to contact MP if post-flight posting is incorrect.

Archive thread: Incorrect/Ineligible projected earning information showing on my itinerary {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Incorrect / Ineligible projected earning information showing on my itinerary

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2022, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Question...what's the difference between International Surcharge and International Surcharge (YR)? I think YR is related to fuel surcharges?

I booked a biz ticket with UA/LH/MS/AC segments. The ticket has a base fare, international surcharge and international surcharge (YR). I'm wondering if the (YR) surcharge is supposed to be included in the overall PQP I earn on the ticket? Right now it's not on both the website and emailed receipt. Just the base fare + international surcharge is adding up to the projected PQPs (within a few bucks).

Also, the last short segment (AC) is showing as earning nothing across the board. I don't care about PQFs as I'm way over for 1K already this year.

Just want to make sure I'm looking out for the right PQPs at the end of this long trip. It's possibly off by $196 which is the YR surcharge.

Thanks,
-RM
International surcharge and fuel surcharge are synonymous. Sometimes a surcharge appears under YQ and sometimes it appears under YR. For a 016 ticket, both should count for PQP; see what happens when they post.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Earning on AC (and subs) - 016 ticket

I thought I understood how this worked, but either I'm wrong or the United website and purchase confirmation e-mail are wrong. Any help/insight appreciated.

Purchased: 4 leg trip US to Canada and then back to US a few days later. Business class. Purchased through united.com (following a click-through from google flights). 016 ticket number. Base fare (excluding taxes) a bit over $1000.

UA is saying I will earn 624 PQP and 2 PQF on the website; the e-mail confirming myt purchases breaks it down as follows:
Leg 1 - (UA) - 319 PQP, 1 PQF
Leg 2 - (AC Rouge) - 0 PQP, 0 PQF
Leg 3 - (AC) - 305 PQP, 1 PQF
Leg 4 - (AC Jazz) - 0 PQP, 0 PQF
*Note Legs 2-4 are on AC flight numbers, not UA flight number but I thought only ticket stock mattered?

My reading is that I should be getting PQP equal to the cost of the ticket (before taxes) and 4 PQF.

Am I confused (I could be!)? Or is United confused? If United is confused, will this earn correctly when I travel, any experience with that?

Thanks for your help.
Old May 26, 2022, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can ignore what UA says they will earn. If it's a 016 ticket you will earn by fare in the normal way.

Edit: BTW, AC earns pretty well in business. I don't know how long your flights are but did you compare to purchasing on AC?
ty97 likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 7:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ty97
... My reading is that I should be getting PQP equal to the cost of the ticket (before taxes) and 4 PQF.

Am I confused (I could be!)? Or is United confused? If United is confused, will this earn correctly when I travel, any experience with that?

Thanks for your help.
You are correct, this display is wrong (not unknown for partner earnings to be wrong)
Good news, posting is rarely wrong -- this will post correctly
ty97 likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
You can ignore what UA says they will earn. If it's a 016 ticket you will earn by fare in the normal way.

Edit: BTW, AC earns pretty well in business. I don't know how long your flights are but did you compare to purchasing on AC?
The flight segments are pretty short, prices are just high right now, so doesn't look like AC stock would net as well here. Good to know for the future though if/when I'm flying longer flights on AC.

Thanks to you and WineCountry for the quick reassurances!
Old May 28, 2022, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

And sometimes it does post wrong even for 016 tickets and UA metal. This was not the steal of the century ... but it credited as such.

MP usually corrects these errors quickly, but I wish I wouldn't have to babysit every ticket ...
Old Jun 11, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Miles accrued with Air Japan

I have seen old posts indicating the Air Japan flights accrued miles for Mileage Plus but that does not seem to be the case anymore based on my recent booking from SFO to BKK as seen in the attached figure. Am I missing something? Will appreciate inputs in this regard. Thanks.

Old Jun 11, 2022, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
The mods will likely merge this with the appropriate thread. Rest assured, these will credit correctly. This is very frequently displayed wrong, but posts correctly. NH flights by Air Japan count like any other NH flight; been a display problem for many years.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
The mods will likely merge this with the appropriate thread. Rest assured, these will credit correctly. This is very frequently wrong, but posts correctly. NH flights by Air Japan count like any other NH flight; been a display problem for many years.
be weary of pretty much any earnings predicted that involve partner segments. They are frequently wrong, and save for IRROPS, almost always post as they should.

Last edited by emcampbe; Jun 12, 2022 at 12:53 pm
Old Jun 11, 2022, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
The mods will likely merge this with the appropriate thread. Rest assured, these will credit correctly. This is very frequently displayed wrong, but posts correctly. NH flights by Air Japan count like any other NH flight; been a display problem for many years.
I can also attest to this. I recently flew Air Japan BKK-NRT and all miles posted correctly, even though the Mileage Plus accrual page on booking indicated 0 miles and 0 PQP and PQF. 😊
SPN Lifer and RobOnLI like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by emcampbe
be weary of pretty much any earnings predicted that involve partner segments. They are frequently wrong, and save for IRROPS, almost always post as they should. Look at the partner earnings page and do your calculations based on that, or use this site to check: https://pqp.economiles.com/. Your mileage might be off a tad due to rounding error, but should be pretty spot in.

The biggest thing to be weary of is codeshare and making sure you base the totals off the operator fare class, vs. marketer, if applicable. For example, I’m flying SIN-NRT on NH, but marketed by AC. AC says the flight is G class, since they ticketed it under their flight number, but it’s almost surely L class on NH (it’s definitely not G on Nh, as we are most certainly not in premium economy). On this full itinerary - which is SFO-SIN, on AC and NH, UA says my earnings will be ~600-700 PQP short of what it almost certainly will be, based on the published earnings chart, and I suspect it will post very close to my calculations.
I'm confused. Partner earnings page has absolutely nothing to do with the situation because the OP is on a UA ticket. UA ticket earning rules apply here which means PQP based on fare paid and award miles based on fare paid x 11 (since OP is 1K).

Only reason anyone would look at the NH earnings page for MileagePlus is if they are on an NH flight *not* ticketed by UA. Not the case here. You would use it in your situation since you were AC-ticketed, NH-operated with UA not touching the ticket at all. But that's not what OP ( vicmmen ) is talking about.

-RM
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Only reason anyone would look at the NH earnings page for MileagePlus is if they are on an NH flight *not* ticketed by UA. Not the case here. You would use it in your situation since you were AC-ticketed, NH-operated with UA not touching the ticket at all. But that's not what OP ( vicmmen ) is talking about.
If you buy a UA ticket to fly to PER, ADL, DRW, CNS and the domestic segment is QF (yes UA does sell those), you will see (and eventually earn) zeros on those flights. And your US$2000+taxes, 4 segment ticket (e.g. SFO-PER round trip) will earn you <2000 PQP and only 2 PQF, while if your UA ticket includes VA flights, you get all PQP for your spend and PQF for your flights.

The problem is NQ should not be disqualified, but reservation calculators have been programmed otherwise.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
If
The problem is NQ should not be disqualified, but reservation calculators have been programmed otherwise.
true. But I’ve also seen UAX (and maybe even UA mainline itself) flights show this as well in the past. Definitely with other partners, too - AC for sure.

I’d guess it has something to do with NQ operating vs. NH. The point is, regardless of what the predicted earnings are, it most likely will post correctly. If it doesnt, OP can call and get it corrected. But without IRROPS, it will pretty close to 100% of the time.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
If you buy a UA ticket to fly to PER, ADL, DRW, CNS and the domestic segment is QF (yes UA does sell those), you will see (and eventually earn) zeros on those flights. And your US$2000+taxes, 4 segment ticket (e.g. SFO-PER round trip) will earn you <2000 PQP and only 2 PQF, while if your UA ticket includes VA flights, you get all PQP for your spend and PQF for your flights.

Sure, but not sure what your point is. We are clearly talking about a *A partner (NH in this case) on the ticket. No need to confuse the situation with a non-earning, non-UA, non-*A partner like QF. My point remains valid and the same: there is zero reason to use any PQD/PQM calculator for the OP's situation since they are UA ticketed. The NH flights will post correctly and the suggestion to use a calculator to figure out the right miles and earnings for those flights is irrelevant.

-RM
jsloan, SPN Lifer and cfischer like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the suggestion to use a calculator to figure out the right miles and earnings for those flights is irrelevant.
It’s worse than irrelevant — it’ll get the wrong value. OP will earn on the Air Japan flights, but the earnings depend entirely upon the amount of the fare UA has assigned to those segments.

The best way to estimate that is to look at the Fare on the receipt and add any International Surcharge, then compare to the amounts already assigned to UA. Whatever’s left over, approximately, will be earned by the Air Japan legs.

If it somehow didn’t post properly, the MileagePlus Service Center would fix it after the fact. But it’s likely to post just fine.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.