Print Wikipost

CPU Clearance Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2023, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by jsloan
I’m not following. My guess is that #2 and #3 are a couple, one of whom is a Platinum (and neither of whom is 1K/GS). Why would having the same name imply a supported upgrade?
Yeah, totally can be. But I'm used to similar names next to each other on the list being supported upgrades (mileage or PP). Of course doesn't mean they definitely are. I was just surprised to be #1 on a list of 26 and no upgrades cleared up to T-21. And none since me either.

-RM
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
MCO-IAH upgraded at the gate, 1K on a K fare. Almost getting to the point where CPUs are more successful than when I apply PP's. I'd almost rather be #1 on the list as a CPU with F booked full than #2 on the list with 3 seats open since I tend not to be upgraded on the latter
Old Jul 5, 2023, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold
7/1 IAD-RIC T-20, CRJ-550 (booked last minute, upgraded 30 minutes after booking)
7/4 RIC-IAD T-48, CRJ-550

Yes, I could have driven - and usually do - but I've sat in traffic nearly 4 hours on a holiday weekend before (for the normally 2 hour drive) and had zero appetite for that. Plus flights were cheap.
exerda likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 12:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
So I currently fly the equivalent of 12 roundtrips (24 segments) on the SEA-EWR route. I have a very flexible schedule, and I'm considering increasing this frequency to "one segment a week" (skipping a few) which equates to somewhere in the 40-50 segment range.

This year, I've cleared 2 segments (of 9 total) and died at #1 on the list twice; all on westbound flights, flying Saturday nights. Would my odds materially improve if I were to book say, a morning or a day flight?

I've never come anywhere close to getting an upgrade on a redeye--would my odds materially improve if I were to book a daytime Saturday/Sunday eastbound flight instead of a Friday/Saturday night redeye?

I guess it comes down to "Tuesdays and Saturdays are traditionally the easiest for upgrades" but are some times of day better than others? How would you guys optimize schedules to maximize a shot at an upgrade?
Old Jul 6, 2023, 1:22 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Polytonic
So I currently fly the equivalent of 12 roundtrips (24 segments) on the SEA-EWR route. I have a very flexible schedule, and I'm considering increasing this frequency to "one segment a week" (skipping a few) which equates to somewhere in the 40-50 segment range.

This year, I've cleared 2 segments (of 9 total) and died at #1 on the list twice; all on westbound flights, flying Saturday nights. Would my odds materially improve if I were to book say, a morning or a day flight?

I've never come anywhere close to getting an upgrade on a redeye--would my odds materially improve if I were to book a daytime Saturday/Sunday eastbound flight instead of a Friday/Saturday night redeye?

I guess it comes down to "Tuesdays and Saturdays are traditionally the easiest for upgrades" but are some times of day better than others? How would you guys optimize schedules to maximize a shot at an upgrade?
Flying patterns have changed so much since travel resumed, hard to say.

Anecdotally, another change during the pandemic is that deadheading first officers will get upgrade priority over any type of passenger not ticketed in FC. In May I had an unusual bunch of short haul domestic flying and bought the tickets in Y. I think it was 7 segments in total and I was #1 on every upgrade list. I don't usually fly in Y but I can't remember ever dropping before. So i was very intrigued to see I dropped to #2 the day of departure on one leg and that person then cleared into first.

For such short flights it does not bother if I clear or not but was wondering who would have higher priority. On boarding I was cleared into the seat next to him/her and I thought this is great, I can maybe meet someone who flies milions upon millions of miles and trade stories and tips. My heart sank as I boarded, I was seated next to a pilot. Nothing against the pilot, just no fellow passenger stories or tips for me!

Last edited by uanj; Jul 6, 2023 at 1:51 am
Old Jul 6, 2023, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
07/06/23 LAX-BZE T-33 A319 Booked 06/13/23

Both myself and Mrs. cleared based on my LT Gold/MM/companion status.

David
Old Jul 6, 2023, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uanj
One change during the pandemic is that deadheading first officers will get upgrade priority over any type of passenger not ticketed in FC.
While this is true, I can’t imagine there are many deadheading pilots on EWR-SEA or vv. There are a lot of closer bases if they need to send somebody to SEA.

OP is simply running into the fact that people are willing to pay for F / pay for upgrades on 5-hour flights.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

Wait until school year starts in late August and early September. Your odds should improve, so should the fare. Exceptions being on and around major holidays - e.g. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jsloan
While this is true, I can’t imagine there are many deadheading pilots on EWR-SEA or vv. There are a lot of closer bases if they need to send somebody to SEA.

OP is simply running into the fact that people are willing to pay for F / pay for upgrades on 5-hour flights.
My pattern has been fairly consistent since mid-January. I'm not entirely convinced it's FCM at play. I definitely believe people are paying outright for the eastbound flight considering the 10+ 1K preboarding in Seattle. Almost no GS/1K preboarding at EWR though, maybe 2-3 if that.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Wait until school year starts in late August and early September. Your odds should improve, so should the fare. Exceptions being on and around major holidays - e.g. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year.
Right, right, I get that, but if I wanted to improve my odds in general, do I stick with Saturday night westbound? What about eastbound? I try to avoid flying around the holidays in general.

I feel like my batting average as a Gold on a Saturday night is pretty good, but I'm wondering how I might do better, so to speak.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Right, right, I get that, but if I wanted to improve my odds in general, do I stick with Saturday night westbound? What about eastbound? I try to avoid flying around the holidays in general.

I feel like my batting average as a Gold on a Saturday night is pretty good, but I'm wondering how I might do better, so to speak.
I am on the opposite coast as you, but in my experience, my weekend run is usually Saturday afternoon to west coast and Sunday very first flight in the morning back east. There was one flight in April or May from DEN to EWR (hub to hub) 6am flight on a Sunday where the gate agent informed I was the only 1K/GS.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 12:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Late July 3, I booked a July 4 SFO-BUR and July 5 BUR-SFO in X class.

My plan was to not take the flights if my upgrade didn't clear.

I immediately jumped to #1 on the list for SFO-BUR (there were several non-revs listed; I booked after check-in was open), and I cleared 20 minutes later.

I also immediately jumped to #1 on the list for BUR-SFO (J7 and literally no one else on the list), and cleared an hour later.

Interestingly, BUR-SFO was J0 when I woke up on the 5th, so I guess I'm glad I cleared when I did. If that hadn't happened, I would have changed to I class. But I guess I finally got some value out of my Gold status, so I'm happy.

I've now cleared more CPUs this year than a couple of my 1K friends have cleared combined CPU and PP-supported upgrades.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I immediately jumped to #1 on the list for SFO-BUR (there were several non-revs listed; I booked after check-in was open), and I cleared 20 minutes later.

I also immediately jumped to #1 on the list for BUR-SFO (J7 and literally no one else on the list), and cleared an hour later.

I've now cleared more CPUs this year than a couple of my 1K friends have cleared combined CPU and PP-supported upgrades.
And now you've discovered my secret for years of a near-perfect CPU percentage on UA. If it's not a near guarantee, don't chance it
SPN Lifer and canadiancow like this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 3:05 pm

6/30 IAD-SFO T-1, 739 (Thanks to blocked J seats, due to overbooked Y)
7/04 SFO-BWI T-72, 739
Old Jul 7, 2023, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
And now you've discovered my secret for years of a near-perfect CPU percentage on UA. If it's not a near guarantee, don't chance it
Don't travel or buy first class? Some of us don't have those options
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold
7/7 IAD-RIC 10:25 pm flight: Battlefield UG, new BP came through after boarding, CRJ-550
7/9 RIC-IAD 7:45 pm flight: T-48, CRJ-550

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.