Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Survey]: From 2014-15 Did your MP Status Increase, Decrease, or remain the same?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkr

THIS IS A THREAD FOR WHICH ALL MP MEMBERS WILL BE ABLE TO RESPOND ...THANKS.
The goal of the survey is to benefit all of us.
This thread is to ask ALL MileagePlus members who read the MileagePlus Forum to please respond to this
short 3 question survey. It will only take a few minutes..

PLEASE PM YOUR MP FTer FRIENDS TO ASK THEM TO ALSO POST IN THIS SURVEY....THANKS.
The 3 questions are in Post #1

WIKI UPDATED FEBRUARY 24 (already over 275 posts)

PLEASE READ THIS WIKI AND POST #1 BEFORE RESPONDING TO THIS SURVEY. THANKS.

WE NEED YOUR INPUT....PLEASE TAKE PART.

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE WHO HAS ALREADY RESPONDED, KINDLY CHECK YOUR POST TO MAKE SURE YOUR REASONS FOR MAINTAINING OR CHANGING YOUR STATUS LEVEL ARE CLEAR IN QUESTION #2. KINDLY EDIT, IF NEEDED. THIS IS TO HELP IN GATHERING OF DATA FOR THE SURVEY, TO BENEFIT US ALL. THANK YOU.

The data will be compiled and posted in this WIKI after approximately each 100 respondants during the year to keep it simple for someone (me) who has trouble figuring out where Boarding Line 1 is

DATA WILL BE UPDATED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WIKI

UA monitors these threads. They will not release their statistics on MP membership changes, so let us work together to compile our own data.

PURPOSE OF SURVEY

The aim is to get a very large number of data points in the coming weeks/months to see percentages of those who dropped, maintained, or increased in status through their 2014 earnings activity for 2015 status in MP because of many reasons.

The survey asks persons to state their individual reasons for their 2014-15 activity for attaining a certain status level for 2015. The survey will determine in a objective, structured, measurable and efficient way, what were persons' experiences in flying on UA in 2014 in light of various changes in the MileagePlus program or other UA flying experiences that have affected the amount of flying they did on UA in 2014. This MAY have affected their Premier status. Kindly PM your UA FTer friends to ask them to post in this survey. Thanks.

The Feb. 1 changeover date is to include those persons who responded to a "Buy Up" offer in January to maintain their 2014 status.)

IF YOU RESPONDED TO A BUY UP OFFER AFTER FEB.1, PLEASE INDICATE THAT IN YOUR RESPONSE (UA's BUY UP OFFERS EXTENDED UNTIL 2/28.

. (Some persons have other reasons for changing their 2014 flying on UA other than complaints about UA or MileagePlus.... such as the amount of business travel changing).

It will take just a few minutes for you to respond. Data will be updated in this WIKI after every 100 responses. Please read Post #1 before responding to this survey. Thank you.

(There is a separate thread for 2015 in which a brief, 3 question survey is being taken in regards to persons' plans for 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status (and reducing, maintaining, or increasing the amount of your UA flying) in light of the new PQD requirements for 2016 and new policies regarding earning Reward Mileage, or your other unique reasons. Kindly expound on your 2015 plans for 2016 status in that thread. Thanks.)
HERE IS THE LINK TO THAT THREAD:
[2015] Version: What plans do you have in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status?

DATA

I am working on the data for this thread and will post more information later. So far, I have counted 200 respondants through Post #204 (including those who reported for 2 persons). 46% have dropped in status from 2014 to 2015. 40 % have stayed the same. 14 % increased status.

The most noticable trend so far among FTers who have reported to this thread is that of the (92/200) 46% who reported dropping in status,
(53/92) 58% were 1K in 2014. Of that 58%, 50% dropped to Gold or Below.

Here is the 2015 status breakdown of the 200 persons so far reporting included in the survey statistics : GS 3%, 1K 35%, Platinum 19.5%, Gold 18%, Silver 12%, GM 12.5%.

No GS dropped below 1K. 6 GS dropped, replaced by 3 new ones.

16 Platinums dropped, replaced by 9 new ones. So there was a slight decrease in Platinums...combined with the number of 1Ks who dropped below Platinum, shows a trend of a smaller group that MIGHT eventually show up in the sizes of Boarding Group 1...(if the data from this survey would be interpreted to somehow signal a drop of MP members across the system...We can only speculate on this, as FT is a small percentage of the entire MP population, and not everyone on FT will respond to this thread. OF COURSE THERE ARE OTHER FACTORS THAT AFFECT THE SIZE OF BOARDING GROUP 1 AT TIMES... SUCH AS IRRROPS, SDCs, DEPARTURE CITY, ELITE HEAVY ROUTES, DESTINATION CITY, DAY OF WEEK, TIME OF DAY, etc.)

But it is interesting to see such a drop of 1Ks to be below Platinum who have reported so far in this thread.
************************************************** **************************************

REPEAT: There is a separate thread for 2015 in which a brief, 3 question survey is being taken in regards to persons' plans for 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status in light of the new PQD requirements for 2016 and new policies regarding earning Reward Mileage, or your other unique reasons. Kindly expound on your 2015 plans for 2016 status in that thread. Thanks.)
HERE IS THE LINK TO THAT THREAD:
[2015] Version: What plans do you have in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status?

Many posters are providing excellent reasons why their status dropped, stayed the same, or increased from 2014 to 2015.

However, many posters are not providing any reasons.

IT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL TO US ALL if future posters would expound in more detail for their reasons for their status as of the changeover date on Feb. 1, 2015...see examples in Post #1.

Please read Post #1 before posting in this thread. Thank you.

For those who have already posted their status, it will be very helpful to us all for you to go back to edit your posts to expound more clearly to give us all some better insights for your reasons for your status. In particular, for the 46% who dropped status from 2014 to 2015.... It would be very helpful to us all for you to expound on your reasons. This may help to see if any trends are being established (at least among those MP members who choose to post in this Forum... a small sample of all MP members). No significant trends for reasons have yet emerged in the early life of this survey.

It is possible that number is somewhat indicative of all MP members across the UA system, but it is unknown. UA certainly will not share their statistics with us. How representative are those who post in this FT Forum of the entire MP membership?....unknown...we can only speculate.

The more persons who take time to report in this thread, the greater number of data points we will have.

[IS UA's STRATEGY TO THIN THE RANKS OF PREMIERS AND HOPE MORE PERSONS WILL "BUY-UP" their upgrades rather than using CPUs, RPUs, and GPUs ? Or is UA thinking that more persons will now buy higher fares? Hard to know...there has been a lot of speculation in the past in the MileagePlus Forum about these possibilities.]

If these numbers are somewhat indicative of MP members across the UA system, then we ought to begin seeing some indications of this in the size of Boarding Group 1 in the coming weeks and months. If Boarding Group 1 seems to be shrinking, this may indicate a larger drop in 1Ks to Gold or below, and a drop from the ranks of Platinums. (OF COURSE SOME CITIES ARE VERY HEAVY 1Ks and Plats...but be observing...see if you notice any overall shrinking of sizes of Boarding Group 1,)

Most posters so far have been Premier members.

Some posters are providing excellent reasons why their status dropped, stayed the same, or increased.

However, many posters are not providing any reasons.

AGAIN...IT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL TO US ALL if future posters would expound in more detail for the reasons for their status...see examples in Post #1. This will help to identify if any trends for reasons are emerging.

Thanks. I will update WIKI at some appropriate point when more data becomes available in the future.
Print Wikipost

[Survey]: From 2014-15 Did your MP Status Increase, Decrease, or remain the same?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA PLAT PRO, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver
2012 - Silver
2013 - Silver
2014 - Silver
2015 - Gold

Had more work travel in 2014, and it's likely to continue in 2015 (with a possibility of moving to Plat).
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
1K to MM Gold

Main reason: PQD (and new RDM scheme), and to some degree shift in travel pattern. Would actually have only qualified for Silver, but did reach Bronze on BA with one PE trip to southern Africa that might have gone to UA/LH in better days (and with confirmable upgrade space).

Future: MM Gold, and just status-matched to AS MVP Gold 75k (see travel pattern).
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:34 pm
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
1K MM to Gold MM

Only flew 4 segments last year. I don't expect to personally fly any this year, but family members will on my remaining miles.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA MM
Gold to Plat
I had 87K miles and only 7180 PDQ due to an AC transpac biz ticket. Was offered a buy up to Plat for $600 in the email. I called and pointed out that the buy up was more than I was short and that I did not get any credit for an $800 "EXTRASEAT" ticket I purchased. The agent checked with the powers that be and I was granted Plat.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Silver to 1k due to increased work travel. Expecting Gold or Plat this year
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:44 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Would not have much MP Status without Lifetime 1K !

I achieved lifetime 1K status in 2012. Therefore same in 2013> 2015.

Since I'm exempt from the new PQD, etc. qualification requirements, I cut back on UA flying in 2014 to try AA and DL more.

I am greatly disappointed in UA for food, customer service,reliability, and because of the reduction in MP benefits the last few years. IMO other carriers have been better in these regards.

I would not have earned 1K the last 2 years with the current requirements if I was required to earn 1K. I would likely have been a Silver this year, but I have not done the calculations.

I now fly UA only when I have to, but my upgrade rate has been excellent on UA. AA also gives a great upgrade rate.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
2004-2014: CO OnePass Silver/UA Premier Silver (usually only short of Gold by ~5-8k)
2015: Dirt

Changed companies in 2013, but that really didn't start affecting my business travel until last year. Combination of reduced travel and different travel spending priorities (old company had a contract with UA, new company wants us to book least expensive regardless of carrier).
Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA, AS, AA, DL
1K to Platinum. Just got my Platinum credentials today. Had 4 GPUs expire last Saturday.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
2008-2010: 3P/2P/1P
2009-1/31/15: 1K

2015 Status: GM

Burned about 400K RDMs before 2/1/14 and took three amazing trips (Auckland, Mainz, & Singapore) in F/J. Got a chance to sample the 748 in F and J, NZ 772 J, and other great products.

I've been EXP since the oneworld MegaDO in 2012 and will continue to be EXP (vs. splitting between AA/UA). There are some things I don't like at AA right now, but overall its a much better experience than flying with Jeff. At AA, I've been 100% with UDU and SWUs (since 2012), whereas I was lucky to hit 50% at UA.. Not clearing a SWU on an M fare to London was one big reason I started to look at dumping Jeff.

Will keep my 50K UA miles active with the MileagePlusX app. Besides one UA flight in March, I have no other plans to fly UA in 2015. Might return if UA starts to look like DL with efficiency and customer service, vs. F9 & NK.

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Feb 4, 2015 at 8:35 am Reason: Typo
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: UA Gold
2013 -> 2014 -> 2015 : Plat -> Plat -> Gold
My wife and I are UK based and travel for leisure.
Chose to take fewer trips but travel BF. I'd actually prefer status to be all spend based because we easily spent $10k plus last year. But that's just me being selfish
Unless UA have a BF sale this year we'll be looking at other carriers.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Plat -> Silver

New job with less travel. No buy-up offer possibly because I have PPlus. Still deciding if I want to burn PQMs to get a soft landing to Gold. Haven't seen the word Silver on my MileagePlus (OnePass) page since 2005!
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Plat-->Zilch. Had 44k miles, thought my $25k in CC spending would get me silver but apparently they didn't count my $395 annual fee towards the 25k
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: 2015 kettle
2012 Gold
2013 1k
2014 Gold
2015 Kettle

I'm going with the cheapest fare gets my money in 2015. Actually flying Frontier in a month! Will be cheaper to buy cheap first class tickets when I want as opposed to just be loyal to UA. They aren't making things better for us, so my loyalty is gone.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Remained 1K this year but will probably decline next year.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA *Gold
From 1K to Gold after nine consecutive years in 1k (sigh)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.