FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   [Survey]: From 2014-15 Did your MP Status Increase, Decrease, or remain the same? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1651474-survey-2014-15-did-your-mp-status-increase-decrease-remain-same.html)

mkr Feb 2, 2015 5:53 am

[Survey]: From 2014-15 Did your MP Status Increase, Decrease, or remain the same?

MODERATOR NOTE

This thread is now a consolidation of three threads regarding if your MP status increased, decreased or remained the same post - Feb 1, 2015.

goalie
UA Forum Co Moderator
====

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST #1 BEFORE RESPONDING TO THIS SURVEY THANKS.

We need YOUR input, please reply to this survey. We need to get a very large number of FTers who read this MileagePlus forum to respond in order to get a better idea of the trends that may have been established for 2014-2015.

UA monitors these threads on Flyertalk. They will not release their statistics on MP membership changes, so let us work together to compile our own data.

There has been much speculation in this Forum that the MP Premier herds will be thinned (speculation varies in regards to what degree) because of the inability by many to qualify for the 2014 PQD requirement for 2015 MP Premier status. Also, many posters have reported voluntarily dropping MP Premier status to fly other specific carriers more for several reasons.

This thread is set up to get some insights into reasons FTers had their status to change or remain the same from 2014 to 2015 at the time of the Feb. 1 changeover in the computer system. (Feb. 1 is included to include those persons who took advantage of the January "Buy Up" offers to retain their Premier status.) THIS THREAD IS NOT TO REPORT STATUS CHANGES DURING 2015 AFTER FEB. 2. THERE IS ANOTHER THREAD FOR THAT.

This thread will also help all of us to get some indication of percentages of persons who dropped status, stayed the same, or actually increased status from 2014. This will be for the FT population who reads this MileagePlus Forum, which is a small portion of the entire MileagePlus membership across the world. However, it may indicate some trends that can be applied to some extent to the entire population. UA will not release their statistics, so we can compile our own here on Flyertalk.

(There is a separate thread for 2015 in which a brief, 3 question survey is being taken in regards to persons' plans for 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status in light of the new PQD requirements for 2016 and new policies regarding earning Reward Mileage, or your other unique reasons. Please also take some time to answer that survey and expound on your 2015 plans for 2016 status in that thread. Thanks.)
HERE IS THE LINK TO THAT THREAD:
[2015] Version: What plans do you have in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status?

While this present thread is anecdotal evidence from 2014 activity towards earning 2015 status from the small percentage of persons who post on FT compared to the vast number of Premiers who do not post on FT, it may still give us all some insights.

Perhaps even some from management at UA may read this thread to gain some insights. (Perhaps they MAY consider remarks here in making future changes in the Premier qualifications and/or benefits as a result of feedback here...after all, many FTers posted in the past about the food on UA flights and UAInsider posted in this Forum that UA says they heard the customers and are making changes for the food in 2015).

This present thread is not to debate past or future UA changes, rather it is a ROLL CALL and simple survey to get some simple data and reasonably short responses.

There are plenty of other threads to debate all those other issues.

Please, let us keep this thread simple and not get into long debates with other posters about UA policies, other issues like food, service, WiFi, IRROPS, etc. Do your debating with each other in those other threads.

Let's get some FT feedback. (please feel free to come back and edit if you later think of something else to say)

PLEASE REPORT SIMPLY:

(1) If your status remained the same from 2014 to 2015 or changed on Feb, 1. 2015 (the status changeover date). (What is your status?)

(example 2014 Plat.>2015 Plat., 2014 GM> 2015 GM, 2014 1K> 2015 Plat., 2014 Silver> 2015 Plat., 2014 GM> 2015 Silver, etc.)

Did the status you earned from 2013 for 2014 change from 2014 to 2015? (may indicate trends)

(example: 2013 Gold >2014 Plat>2015 Gold)

(2) What were the reasons your status changed, or remained the same on Feb. 1 ?... please expound in some detail FOR THE MOST RELEVANT TOP REASONS FOR YOU...... (see example reasons below) ... just keep statements concise and just please don't use a several paragraph essay with very lengthy explanations... Thanks.

(EXAMPLE REASONS (your possibilities may not be listed here) could include such as:
took advantage of a "Buy Up" offer before Feb 1 to maintain your status;could not/did not want to "buy up" status; voluntary choice; flew in 2014 and/or now flying other specific carriers that meet your wants/needs better; did status match in 2014 from UA to other carrier and decreased flying on UA; reduced your flying on UA in 2014 because of new 2015 Reward Mileage calculations announced in June 2014;you could not meet some or all of the 2014 PQM,PQS,PQD requirements for 2015 status .... such as fell short of Gold by 2,000 PQM, or fell short of 1K by $2,500 PQD, or had $10,000 PQD, but only 72,000 PQM, so fell short of Plat., etc...; you were exempt from PQD requirements because of credit card or foreign address....; in 2014 UA met your needs/routes needed for your flying better than other carriers; your company requires certain fare purchases or requires flying on UA, or on other carriers; you find other specific carriers better than UA for on-time arrivals and fewer IRROPS; you prefer routes, food, service, comfort, etc. of other specific carrier compared to UA; in 2014 you got a better upgrade percentage on other carriers; in 2014 you split your flying between UA and other specific carriers because..., etc.)

(3) Did you have any particular difficulties in maintaining or increasing your 2014 status for 2015?

(such as a trip you were counting on for PQDs, PQMs near end of year was cancelled; had trouble getting the needed PQDs; your company/business required flights on some other carriers which made it difficult for you to fly UA sufficiently, ; you had to do a mileage run towards the end of 2014 to get your PQMs or PQSs, OR PQDs; you TRIED to get MP to extend your status because you were close,but they would not, etc.)

AGAIN, (There is a separate thread for 2015 in which a brief, 3 question survey is being taken in regards to persons' plans for 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status in light of the new PQD requirements for 2016 and new policies regarding earning Reward Mileage, or your other unique reasons. Kindly expound on your 2015 plans for 2016 status in that thread. Thanks.)
HERE IS THE LINK TO THAT THREAD:
[2015] Version: What plans do you have in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status?

Thanks for posting. I hope this thread will give us all some better insights.

Best wishes in 2015 and Happy flying.

Side note: It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the near future if the number of persons in Boarding group 1 seems to be significantly affected.... either seemingly smaller or greater number of persons.

mkr Feb 2, 2015 7:32 am

See Moderator Note in Post #1

goalie
UA Forum Co Moderator

PV_Premier Feb 2, 2015 7:42 am

1K to Silver

Voluntary choice/PQD was the reason. I flew 60k EQM on AS & partners and another 25K MQM on DL. I did fly 60K on UA but only spent $4300 PQDs.

UA summary:
2009 - Premier
2010 - Premier Exec
2011 - Premier Exec
2012 - Gold
2013 - Plat/1K
2014 - 1K
2015 - Silver
expected 2016 - no status

DL summary:
2007 - Silver
2008 - Silver
2015 - Platinum (status match/challenge)
expected 2016 - Silver

AS Summary:
2014 - MVPG (status match)
2015 - MVPG
expected 2016 - MVP or MVPG

Tblack15 Feb 2, 2015 7:44 am

^

Thought about posting a similar question/poll in December...

1) Same (2013/2014 Gold)
2) Int'l travel cut to one Europe trip. Did the BAH MR to make up the slack.
3) Needed a MR & Chase waiver. Neither were very difficult.

2016: Plan to stay at Gold with virtually the same stats as last year.

dinoscool3 Feb 2, 2015 7:56 am

1K to Plat

Couldn't meet the PQD requirements.

mkr Feb 2, 2015 7:56 am

See Moderator note in Post #1

goalie
UA Forum Co Moderator

sfosyd Feb 2, 2015 8:08 am

1k to lifetime Plat. Switched 100% of flying to AS/BA/Emirates/Cathay and couldn't be happier.

Cargojon Feb 2, 2015 8:16 am

2013 -> 2014

Silver to Platinum

Change in job which required several overseas trips per year. *A just made the most sense for me with LH and LX covering the cities in Europe that UA does not.

PQD's will prevent me from getting anything higher, as my employer requires travel at lowest available fare, in coach, regardless of flight length / destination / etc. Honestly with the PQD increase, I could see myself dropping to Gold next year.

Filzee Feb 2, 2015 8:19 am

My wife and I both kepf our gold status, by using the chase wavier and Barely hitting 50k miles all pleasure flying,plan on the same for this year. *gold for overseas travel is great

drum6666 Feb 2, 2015 8:21 am

No Status to Platinum

Voluntary Choice -- I was disgusted with the exhorbitant fuel surcharges on award tickets overseas with Air Canada so I switched allegiance.

I had no challenges really since I am based in Canada and was exempt from PQD consideration.

EWRFlyerAL Feb 2, 2015 8:23 am

1K to 1K. No changes here. Flew 152K miles in 2014 and I'll likely be around the same this year.

EWRFlyerAL Feb 2, 2015 8:25 am

I just posted in the other thread (not having noticed this one). I was 1K and am 1K again. My SO went from Silver to Platinum because of the $1,500 fares to EU last summer. I went from living near EWR to living near ORD, so the hubs make it convenient.

JBord Feb 2, 2015 8:26 am

1K to Gold due to PQMs. Well over the PQD threshold.

Continited Feb 2, 2015 8:31 am

Platinum to Gold

Status matched to DL in Aug 2014 so my UA flying came to an immediate halt.

akhan7 Feb 2, 2015 8:35 am

Went from silver to gold. Voluntary choice, mostly due to *A