FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   [Survey]: From 2014-15 Did your MP Status Increase, Decrease, or remain the same? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1651474-survey-2014-15-did-your-mp-status-increase-decrease-remain-same.html)

WhyPayRent Feb 2, 2015 8:38 am

GS to 1K. Dropped significantly in revenue spent after moving to Dallas from SF bay area. Now going to have pretty random projects so don't think I am going to get status at all this year...

Going from SPG ambassador and United GS to likely nothing next year...

crnk Feb 2, 2015 8:42 am

Gold to tin/bronze/etc...or whatever the credit card bag and boarding should be named.
Ended up with 30-40k EQM but dollars were something like 1k since a large chuck of miles were on a single AC TPAC trip.
Also in the mix was that due to the burn rate changes I had a bit of redemption in premium cabins on partners that took place during the year.
I just flew AA this weekend and will continue to ramp down flying plus kayak from here out as 99% of my travel is personal. I can't see flying more than 10k on UA this year.

Lurker1999 Feb 2, 2015 8:43 am

1K to nothing back to silver probably ending at gold. Travel pattern changed significantly in 2014 and realizing I'd need over $12k in personally funded tickets to requalify for 1K didn't make sense.

I've already qualified for silver and will probably hit gold by PQM with a PQD waiver. No real incentive to hit platinum but it seems that whatever itinerary I'm looking at UA or *A is coming close to being the cheapest so who knows.

MtRoot Feb 2, 2015 8:50 am

1K to nothing. Switched to DL/AA due to lack of reliability and MP devaluation. I still fly UA occasionally for short positioning flights to EWR/IAD/ORD, but they will be credited to the status-matched TK account from now on.

ETA per request from mkr: I guess the buggest gripe was IRROPS handling rather than IRROPS themselves. I had my share of delays in the last couple of weeks on DL but they were more than happy to switch me to US/AA/UA (ironically) to make the inconvenience minimum (and gave me ORC without me asking). In terms of awards, I kind of miss no surcharge redemption at UA but I now transfer Amex, Chase or SPG points to whatever *A program that works the best rather than committing to UA. AA has the best award chart for now and doesn't collect surcharge on CX or JL to Asia, which is my main destination for awards.

TonyBurr Feb 2, 2015 8:57 am

Dropped 19 years of 1K.Not worth it anymore with UA. I have 2.5 MM so am lifetime Platnium but I doubt I will be using it.

Shareholder Feb 2, 2015 8:57 am

1K for another year (fifth or sixth year as such after moving most of my STAR flights to UA/MP from AC/AE). Didn't expect to go for more than Plat but a $650 fare to SIN tipped me to go for the top again (and collect the GPUs and RPUs to recoup the additional spend). Not likely to go for 1K for 2016 though with all the changes...will at least get Gold, possibly Plat...but certainly not 1K.

Dissatisfaction began after the merger and the sudden drop in CPUs. Then came the sense that GSs were all that mattered to UA and 1K was clumped with the other STARGold tiers. This included the loss of many unpublished 1K benefits, service desk/agents, etc. Not residing in the US, I escaped the Spend requirement for status. However, the final straw was adopting RDM accumulation based on actual fare. I pay for my own flights and don't have a corporate backer (work-related projects must be funded too), W fares are too rich for my budget and don't always ensure sitting in business, not to mention RDMs are important for major trips on other STAR carriers in premium cabins. (That's what the end game really is about.) So while I could easily continue flying UA and making 1K, I began the transition 2-1/2 years ago with the AA status match offer and have enjoyed AA and ExecPlat ever since.) My west coast flying will move from UA to AS and I will take advantage of that airline's status match to MVP75K this year and see how much I fly to keep that status for next year.

Already at 42K PQMs with UA, so Gold is in sight. By the end of the summer will be at 84K EQMs with AA. So a lot of flying on AA and AS not booked yet for the 3rd and 4th quarters can be channeled into the AS account. Though will likely have a bit of domestic Canadian flying this year too. Not sure if I'll put these AC flights into MP or reactivate my AC/AE account.

It will remain to be seen what major changes AA brings to its merged program, so come 2016 can't say what my strategy will be. Only consolation is that I'm coming to the end of my flying days...at least heavy duty flying. End game is MM/lifetime elite status in both OW and STAR. Having come to US airlines rather late in the game (my marbles were with CP and AC for a couple of decades), i've a ways to go at about 700K each in MP and AA.

weirdlyndon Feb 2, 2015 9:02 am

1K to Plat. Not chasing UA status for 2015. I've switched to AA as an EXP and loving it so far.

dmurphynj Feb 2, 2015 9:03 am

2013 -> 2014 -> 2015 : Plat -> Plat -> 1K

Simply, more time in the air flying for work. 100% on UA; they go everywhere I need to.

dorisrpas Feb 2, 2015 9:10 am

Kept 1K with similar travel patterns and spend. All domestic, last-minute, segment flyer. Workload was increased so did take extra segments with Delta.

goalie Feb 2, 2015 9:13 am

1k to lifetime Gold

nookanaya Feb 2, 2015 9:15 am

1K to Plat. Corporate travel decreased in 1st half of 2014, picked up later but not enough to hit $10k PQD so I deferred a few trips to 2015. I also matched over to AS. Flying out of PDX, AS's schedule seems to be getting better and better vs UA, and of course no PQD or $-based RDM on AS.

cmdinnyc Feb 2, 2015 9:19 am

1. Silver to nothing (except I still do have a Chase PresPlus card - need to decide what I'm doing with that).

2. I didn't try to requalify this year for a few reasons.

- Silver is practically worthless since most of the benefits you get with a credit card (priority boarding, free luggage), so instead of trying to always fly United I flew other carriers for some of my trips. The new mileage earning scheme doesn't really help me much, either.

- Living nearer to Philly, with US merging with AA, there were fewer convenient, affordable options locally.

- Family and job changes left me with less free time to travel.

3. Made the decision by mid-year to not chase status so it wasn't that important anymore.

eng3 Feb 2, 2015 9:36 am

1. kept 1K
2. New company policy lowers the amount of vacation I can save so had to take more vacation. At the same time work travel decreased. That combined with GPU's to burn meant more trips
3. Came a little short on miles at the end of the year, had to do some creative routing

JetSetDave Feb 2, 2015 9:39 am

1K to Plat. Used a few RPUs and GPUs last month to re-qualify for Gold in 2016. May consider Plat again if UA repeats the $1500 USA-Europe deal this summer and IF quality improves. Cant beat the Star award offerings with UA.

snowed Feb 2, 2015 9:44 am

1. Kept 1K status for what will be 6th year.

2. Flew as I usually do which is to say randomly and just for pleasure but also took 2 international paid J business trips which was new for me. All on UA with the exception for 2 flights on ANA.

3. Was worried about hitting PQD but luckily the new job and J class to SIN and LHR took care of that and should do the same for me this year for 2016.

Overall my experiences were positive this year. No major drama and when problems arose they were taken care of quickly.

I did very much enjoy ANA and the Kir Royales. Their INTL service is much better than UA's