Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Survey]: From 2014-15 Did your MP Status Increase, Decrease, or remain the same?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkr

THIS IS A THREAD FOR WHICH ALL MP MEMBERS WILL BE ABLE TO RESPOND ...THANKS.
The goal of the survey is to benefit all of us.
This thread is to ask ALL MileagePlus members who read the MileagePlus Forum to please respond to this
short 3 question survey. It will only take a few minutes..

PLEASE PM YOUR MP FTer FRIENDS TO ASK THEM TO ALSO POST IN THIS SURVEY....THANKS.
The 3 questions are in Post #1

WIKI UPDATED FEBRUARY 24 (already over 275 posts)

PLEASE READ THIS WIKI AND POST #1 BEFORE RESPONDING TO THIS SURVEY. THANKS.

WE NEED YOUR INPUT....PLEASE TAKE PART.

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE WHO HAS ALREADY RESPONDED, KINDLY CHECK YOUR POST TO MAKE SURE YOUR REASONS FOR MAINTAINING OR CHANGING YOUR STATUS LEVEL ARE CLEAR IN QUESTION #2. KINDLY EDIT, IF NEEDED. THIS IS TO HELP IN GATHERING OF DATA FOR THE SURVEY, TO BENEFIT US ALL. THANK YOU.

The data will be compiled and posted in this WIKI after approximately each 100 respondants during the year to keep it simple for someone (me) who has trouble figuring out where Boarding Line 1 is

DATA WILL BE UPDATED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WIKI

UA monitors these threads. They will not release their statistics on MP membership changes, so let us work together to compile our own data.

PURPOSE OF SURVEY

The aim is to get a very large number of data points in the coming weeks/months to see percentages of those who dropped, maintained, or increased in status through their 2014 earnings activity for 2015 status in MP because of many reasons.

The survey asks persons to state their individual reasons for their 2014-15 activity for attaining a certain status level for 2015. The survey will determine in a objective, structured, measurable and efficient way, what were persons' experiences in flying on UA in 2014 in light of various changes in the MileagePlus program or other UA flying experiences that have affected the amount of flying they did on UA in 2014. This MAY have affected their Premier status. Kindly PM your UA FTer friends to ask them to post in this survey. Thanks.

The Feb. 1 changeover date is to include those persons who responded to a "Buy Up" offer in January to maintain their 2014 status.)

IF YOU RESPONDED TO A BUY UP OFFER AFTER FEB.1, PLEASE INDICATE THAT IN YOUR RESPONSE (UA's BUY UP OFFERS EXTENDED UNTIL 2/28.

. (Some persons have other reasons for changing their 2014 flying on UA other than complaints about UA or MileagePlus.... such as the amount of business travel changing).

It will take just a few minutes for you to respond. Data will be updated in this WIKI after every 100 responses. Please read Post #1 before responding to this survey. Thank you.

(There is a separate thread for 2015 in which a brief, 3 question survey is being taken in regards to persons' plans for 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status (and reducing, maintaining, or increasing the amount of your UA flying) in light of the new PQD requirements for 2016 and new policies regarding earning Reward Mileage, or your other unique reasons. Kindly expound on your 2015 plans for 2016 status in that thread. Thanks.)
HERE IS THE LINK TO THAT THREAD:
[2015] Version: What plans do you have in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status?

DATA

I am working on the data for this thread and will post more information later. So far, I have counted 200 respondants through Post #204 (including those who reported for 2 persons). 46% have dropped in status from 2014 to 2015. 40 % have stayed the same. 14 % increased status.

The most noticable trend so far among FTers who have reported to this thread is that of the (92/200) 46% who reported dropping in status,
(53/92) 58% were 1K in 2014. Of that 58%, 50% dropped to Gold or Below.

Here is the 2015 status breakdown of the 200 persons so far reporting included in the survey statistics : GS 3%, 1K 35%, Platinum 19.5%, Gold 18%, Silver 12%, GM 12.5%.

No GS dropped below 1K. 6 GS dropped, replaced by 3 new ones.

16 Platinums dropped, replaced by 9 new ones. So there was a slight decrease in Platinums...combined with the number of 1Ks who dropped below Platinum, shows a trend of a smaller group that MIGHT eventually show up in the sizes of Boarding Group 1...(if the data from this survey would be interpreted to somehow signal a drop of MP members across the system...We can only speculate on this, as FT is a small percentage of the entire MP population, and not everyone on FT will respond to this thread. OF COURSE THERE ARE OTHER FACTORS THAT AFFECT THE SIZE OF BOARDING GROUP 1 AT TIMES... SUCH AS IRRROPS, SDCs, DEPARTURE CITY, ELITE HEAVY ROUTES, DESTINATION CITY, DAY OF WEEK, TIME OF DAY, etc.)

But it is interesting to see such a drop of 1Ks to be below Platinum who have reported so far in this thread.
************************************************** **************************************

REPEAT: There is a separate thread for 2015 in which a brief, 3 question survey is being taken in regards to persons' plans for 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status in light of the new PQD requirements for 2016 and new policies regarding earning Reward Mileage, or your other unique reasons. Kindly expound on your 2015 plans for 2016 status in that thread. Thanks.)
HERE IS THE LINK TO THAT THREAD:
[2015] Version: What plans do you have in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status?

Many posters are providing excellent reasons why their status dropped, stayed the same, or increased from 2014 to 2015.

However, many posters are not providing any reasons.

IT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL TO US ALL if future posters would expound in more detail for their reasons for their status as of the changeover date on Feb. 1, 2015...see examples in Post #1.

Please read Post #1 before posting in this thread. Thank you.

For those who have already posted their status, it will be very helpful to us all for you to go back to edit your posts to expound more clearly to give us all some better insights for your reasons for your status. In particular, for the 46% who dropped status from 2014 to 2015.... It would be very helpful to us all for you to expound on your reasons. This may help to see if any trends are being established (at least among those MP members who choose to post in this Forum... a small sample of all MP members). No significant trends for reasons have yet emerged in the early life of this survey.

It is possible that number is somewhat indicative of all MP members across the UA system, but it is unknown. UA certainly will not share their statistics with us. How representative are those who post in this FT Forum of the entire MP membership?....unknown...we can only speculate.

The more persons who take time to report in this thread, the greater number of data points we will have.

[IS UA's STRATEGY TO THIN THE RANKS OF PREMIERS AND HOPE MORE PERSONS WILL "BUY-UP" their upgrades rather than using CPUs, RPUs, and GPUs ? Or is UA thinking that more persons will now buy higher fares? Hard to know...there has been a lot of speculation in the past in the MileagePlus Forum about these possibilities.]

If these numbers are somewhat indicative of MP members across the UA system, then we ought to begin seeing some indications of this in the size of Boarding Group 1 in the coming weeks and months. If Boarding Group 1 seems to be shrinking, this may indicate a larger drop in 1Ks to Gold or below, and a drop from the ranks of Platinums. (OF COURSE SOME CITIES ARE VERY HEAVY 1Ks and Plats...but be observing...see if you notice any overall shrinking of sizes of Boarding Group 1,)

Most posters so far have been Premier members.

Some posters are providing excellent reasons why their status dropped, stayed the same, or increased.

However, many posters are not providing any reasons.

AGAIN...IT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL TO US ALL if future posters would expound in more detail for the reasons for their status...see examples in Post #1. This will help to identify if any trends for reasons are emerging.

Thanks. I will update WIKI at some appropriate point when more data becomes available in the future.
Print Wikipost

[Survey]: From 2014-15 Did your MP Status Increase, Decrease, or remain the same?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
1K to Plat

Couldn't meet the PQD requirements.
Same here.

Spent more in 2014 compared to 2013 but fell to Platinum anyways. Stopped flying at 88K miles because chasing PQD wasn't worth it.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 2.3 MM
1) Same - GS
2) GS
3) no change
4) 8-10+ Int'l RT C/J flights a year help.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA
Silver (2014) - Gold (2015).

I had to use about 3k from my flexmiles to make Gold. Only reason I was close was due to an extra trip from EWR-SIN this year.

Have PQD waiver because of PresPlus Credit Card.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
1K to Plat.

First time not a 1K since the merger. Just didn't do the miles in 2014 (hit about 78k versus 170k in 2013).

Surprisingly, meeting the PQD requirement wasn't an issue at all. A little scary seeing that number and realizing how much money goes to UA out of my checking account every year!
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:43 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Stayed 1k no change, all flights booked for 2015, so 2016 will be 1k, also will be mm which will take effect in 2017
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
(1) Was 1K, Still 1K

(4) We fly a lot, and despite reducing our United flying significantly, we still fly them enough to re-qualify for 1K

I've been asked to edit this to elaborate on my answers, so while it may be long winded, it will give a much more detailed account of my flying. This is MY account. It may or may not match the experiences of others.

My Flying History
From 2000-2008 I was living in Houston, I was primarily a Continental airlines flyer from 2000 until the merger. I was top tier with them for that entire time. I travel roughly 250 days per year, and while each year sees repeating destinations, I generally am going to a different place most days of the year. As top tier for Continental was Platinum, I qualified for that each year despite flying a lot more than the 75k per year required. After the merger, I became 1K, and have remained 1K since. From 2000 to about a year and half after the merger, I would say that I was upgraded 90%+ of the time. My flying habits were mainly IAH-Somewhere, and Somewhere else back to IAH

In 2008 - I decided not to have a home, and spent 5 years being homeless and just living in hotels rather than spending rent and mortgages for places I would rarely see. Despite this, my upgrade rate remained at 90%+ around the system. Truthfully I didn’t spend a lot of time on the EWR-SFO/LAX routes, so maybe that’s what kept the rate so high.

Since 2012, I have lived in NYC.

While my upgrade success rate was neither promised or guaranteed, it was pretty much a consistent thing for 12 of the last 14 years, and certainly was the basis for the loyalty that I gave them.

I loved Continental, they were great to me, the staff during the my time with them were definitely above average from my experiences around the industry. They had obviously come from a rough time pre-Gordon, and were riding the wave of their new found success. I think the employees were genuinely relieved and proud to be part of a successful and acclaimed company. They were definitely Houston’s airline and the city was proud of them.

What I want from Status
1. Domestic Upgrades
2. Mileage Redemption

Things That make me Unhappy
1. My domestic upgrade rate has dropped from 90% to around 10% for the last 2 years
2. Seeing status-less friends that I am traveling with get offered super cheap upgrades while I remain in coach. My most recent experience was watching the PS flight from JFK-SFO last week be at 12 seats avail at -2hrs, a lot of people on the upgrade list, and NOT ONE person was upgraded. I know that at least the top 10 people on the list were 1K, and again, NOT ONE person was upgraded. Every single one of the 12 seats went to a cheap buy-up at airport checkin. That is just disrespectful to your customers. While I recognize that CPU/ RPU/GPU are not a guaranteed entity, but if you will try to sell the upgrade for more or less nothing to avoid it going to your elite travelers for free, then they should really remove it as an advertised perk. 30 x 1K on list, and someone with no loyalty gets offered a $59 upgrade, they decline it, so the computer says “Oh, how about $39 ?, $29 ?, $19 ? until the seats are taken. Pretty tough to stomach that.

3. Consistently finding that the only aircraft options for me out of EWR are EMB-145’s and Props (Many for 3hr hops) when the competition has better
4. The deterioration of the operations. On-time is terrible, staff attitudes are generally poor, and the quality of the product has been poor.
5. On-time has become so bad that that I can no longer book United when I absolutely need to get somewhere.
6. I won’t book less than a 2hr connection whereas I certainly used to be comfortable with this.
7. I will not book any flight on an EMB145, CRJ200, or the props
8. United seems to have decided that they are only going to care about GS Members. Rather than GS members getting treated best, then 1K maybe 10% worse, Platinum 10% worse than 1K etc, it seems to be GS gets everything and 1K or less gets nothing. Despite opinion on here, I KNOW that UA comps a hell of a lot of GS status, and I do question their decision to put all their eggs in one basket for a group of people that will have little reason to be loyal in the future without GS status.
9. GS boarding the aircraft before Paid First Class just feels wrong to most people I know.
10. I think they have a very short-sighted view of their business. They certainly seem driven to get $10 from anyone today even if it means losing $1000’s later.

Things that Don't
1. I still find that with a little flexibility, I manage to easily use my RPU/GPU’s
2. I still find redeeming awards to be ok
3. While there is a lot of hoopla about food, I really don’t care too much about that. I will say that there is a noticeable HUGE gulf between the quality of food, and the presentation of the food that Delta serves over what United serves.
4. I know that lots of people get all up about IFE. It’s another thing that I just don’t care about. Left to my own devices, I’d listen to Channel 9, my own music or sleep.

Why I’ll Re-qualify for 1K ?
The volume of travel that we do means that really unless I literally refuse to fly United at all, there will be times where they are the best option. They are great for long-haul flights out of New York. I find the 2-2-2 BF cabin (which I chose to find myself on instead of the 2-4-2 cabin) is just fine. I’m usually traveling with others and usually take the 2 middle seats (D, E) so I essentially have all aisle access anyways. I’ll do 5 or 6 long haul adventures in 2015 and that will easily get me past the 1K requirement. I will also do probably 10-15 PS Flights along with a handful of others

What Business Has United Lost From Me
As above, I will no longer book a flight on United that finds me on EMB145, CRJ200, or the props. Coming out of NYC, and really having all three airports being more or less an equal option, Delta consistently offers me a better choice of aircraft than United. I travel with, and book the travel for 10 other people. Whereas in the past United would get all of our flying unless they really didn’t have an option, they lose out on all of the above. We are not a huge corporation, but on Feb 13th (today), United has lost about $45k year to date from me.

What would make me come back ?
1. No 50 seaters with no F Cabin (or less) on ops longer than 60 min
2. Significant improvement in on-time %
3. Significant improvement on the companies attitude towards their customers. This is from top to bottom.
4. Significant increase in upgrade %
5. Significant Reduction in the offers of TOD Upgrades. It is their right to sell whatever they want for as little as possible, but they won’t keep me as a loyal customer while doing so. I liked the DL/AA way of not doing the TOD until all the elites are accommodated first. This oddly enough seems to have changed at DL as I bought a really cheap TOD round trip upgrade this week (a month in advance of the actual travel).
6. CONSISTENT improvement. There is ZERO consistency in product or attitudes. I rarely get a flight where everything was good. This wouldn’t matter to me if I didn’t fly so much on their competition, so I see how bad it actually is by comparison. My experiences on Delta are CONSISTENT, and just much, much smoother on average.

A Tale of Today.
This morning I flew from EWR-MCO. In the past, almost everything in and out of FL was an easy upgrade. As with my experiences of the last few years, I did not get the upgrade despite it being a high fare. I checked in at EWR in the non elite area as the Premier Checkin was not staffed. The TSA Pre-Check line was not open (Not UA fault, but still less than fun). The aircraft was fine, the crew (Except for one) were great, friendly etc. But the one, was TERRIBLE. She sat in the jumpseat right in front of me playing on her iPhone from push until take off, generally looking annoyed.

She then disappeared to work in the back of the cabin. The crew that served me were great. As we started to descend, she returned to the jump seat, and proceeded to play on her phone some more. The kicker was that at about 4,000 feet, without asking me, she got up, reached over me (while I was looking out the window) and closed my shade. She rolled her eyes and said something along the lines of I don’t like the light in my eyes. As soon as she sat down again, i re-opened the shade to which she again rolled her eyes and scowled. Aside from liking to look out the window, I do like to be adjusted to the light outside at takeoff and landing. She basically tried to insist that I close it.

After landing, I walked to baggage claim (MCO has an A and a B) There was not one sign from the aircraft to baggage claim that said whether United was at A or B. The monitors in the airport didn’t show it either. Even the pilots went down the wrong side and walked back up to the other side with me. We had a laugh about it. Bags took forever to come out, and elite bags didn’t come out at the beginning.

Their operation just isn’t run well.

Last edited by CO_Nonrev_elite; Feb 13, 2015 at 11:36 pm
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by QBK
Stayed the same: 1K to 1K.

Getting over 100K PQM required me to buy some vacation travel that I would otherwise have used miles for, but I had $2000 in VDB/downgrade vouchers to blow. And I got good value out of 1K last year, so it was worth the stretch. Next year... dunno yet.
Same for me - except closer to $1K in VDB/downgrade vouchers - and I found the 2 x RDMs worth buying cheap transcons.

Now, post-March 1, and the difficulty in partner earnings - hard to say.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:52 pm

Location: Currently somewhere between JFK and SYD (taking the long way)
Plat to nothing.

Question: will award bookings I have for post 2/1 still give me Star Gold Benefits? When you view receipt/itinerary, it still says "Star Gold" at the top, so I'm hoping for use of lounges at LAX...
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Gold->Gold.

PP PQD waiver saved me. (Although I easily spent $25k on the card.)

Next year it will most likely be Silver due to reduced UA RDM earnings + *A EQM earnings.

Only saving grace might be PP FEQMs to keep me Gold another year. Even then might not be worth it.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
1K->Plat

Decrease in PQMs because of fewer flights with PQM bonus mileage (Y, B). More BIS (75 vs. 70).
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

(1) was 1K, still 1K

(4) Lots of unexpected overseas flying.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: Platinum SPG, Marriott Platinum, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum,
1K to 1K and will most likely remain so in 2016. Love my GPUs.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
1K, MM

Staying the same... 1K since 2004, MM since 2014.

10+ years of 1K doing segments... even with the requirement jump to 120.

Barratt
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, UA Gold, AA Gold
(1) Yes, 1K
(2) 1K
(3) -
(4) Leisure flyer; it is voluntary choice.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: United Silver; Marriott Silver
Nothing to Silver. Prolly won't retain or increase this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.