Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2022, 5:33 pm
O62

Originally Posted by dkc192
Yes, your plan sounds reasonable. Find the SVG - EU gateway award space, then call UA to ask them to rebook you on that while opening up award space from the gateway to MRY.
This worked out. Amazingly did it over chat and agent stayed with the process until ticketed. They wouldn't do SFO to MRY in F even though it was a J award because LAX to MRY was in XN, even though that was a single cabin flight and it couldn't have been in first. No big deal, 20 minute flight. You get Polaris lounge access on arrival too right? (Flying LHR-SFO on UA J)
Old Mar 8, 2022, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by O62
This worked out. Amazingly did it over chat and agent stayed with the process until ticketed. They wouldn't do SFO to MRY in F even though it was a J award because LAX to MRY was in XN, even though that was a single cabin flight and it couldn't have been in first. No big deal, 20 minute flight. You get Polaris lounge access on arrival too right? (Flying LHR-SFO on UA J)
yes, you have Polaris lounge access in SFO
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: AS MVP
Award Ticket Schedule Change Resulting in Illegal Connection

Need some help strategizing my best way forward on this one. A schedule change on an award ticket resulted in connection that is well below MCT (UA international to *A international). UA confirmed the new itinerary and even includes the connection time when I view the booking online. The challenge is that all of the other award options at this point are less desirable itineraries. Should I call UA and see if they will book us on a new routing even if no award space exists? Or just do nothing and see what happens at check-in, etc? I don't want to flag this for them in advance if our only option will be to take a less desirable award routing.

There is a slim possibility that we could make the connection if our first flight arrives early, but definitely not ideal. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
It's not going to be flagged and cancelled if that's what you are worried about.

Where is the connection and what is the new connection times and what are you connecting to? Airports matter here if you want solid advice.

For the UA operated part of the ticket, you have a better chance of UA opening space and forcing you onto an earlier flight. Particularly if you have high status. Do you?

If you nisconnect, the inbound operator is responsible for getting you to your destination. I read that as UA. That's great in a place where they have a presence, not so good where they dont. If there are many later flight that don't usually leave full, you might take the gamble.

So, give us your new itinerary and we can assist more
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:56 am

Thanks! Sorry, I should have provided more details upfront. Itinerary is PIT-IAD-ZRH-FLR. IAD-ZRH is UA metal in a C award connecting to LX metal in C as well. The connection time in ZRH was reduced to 30 minutes due to a LX schedule change. There is a later ZRH-FLR flight, but as you said will be a gamble if there's space.

No status with UA, but hoping we'd be somewhat more taken care of with a business award. Maybe wishful thinking.

The only itineraries I've found have us leaving PIT much earlier in the day, arriving in FLR much later in the day, or adding a stop. None of which are ideal.

And wasn't worried about UA cancelling the ticket, just that bringing it to their attention might result in them being forced to address it and put me on a less ideal itinerary. Thanks again!
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
As ryman554 had pointed out, UA can open space on its own metal, but cannot force partners to do the same. The best way to approach this is identify UA flights from PIT to ZRH so you'll arrive in time for your connection to FLR. Once identified, call UA, explain the schedule change, and ask to change to the new preferred UA flights. The key is to emphasize that there was a schedule change to avoid any upcharge.

As an alternative, if there is award seats available for the later ZRH-FLR flight, they can make that change as well.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by neildibiase
Thanks! Sorry, I should have provided more details upfront. Itinerary is PIT-IAD-ZRH-FLR. IAD-ZRH is UA metal in a C award connecting to LX metal in C as well. The connection time in ZRH was reduced to 30 minutes due to a LX schedule change. There is a later ZRH-FLR flight, but as you said will be a gamble if there's space.

No status with UA, but hoping we'd be somewhat more taken care of with a business award. Maybe wishful thinking.

The only itineraries I've found have us leaving PIT much earlier in the day, arriving in FLR much later in the day, or adding a stop. None of which are ideal.

And wasn't worried about UA cancelling the ticket, just that bringing it to their attention might result in them being forced to address it and put me on a less ideal itinerary. Thanks again!
The date of travel might really matter here as UA will be commencing their own ORD-ZRH flights this Spring, which, by the way, are scheduled to arrive earlier in the morning at ZRH than the IAD flight (the EWR flight arrives later). It wouldn't be out of line to ask UA to move you over to PIT-ORD-ZRH to make that a 50 minute connection. Still, that's not long one.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:23 pm

Thanks! Traveling May 4. I did see the ORD-ZRH flight, but had the same thought about the connection in ZRH and would require us to leave PIT earlier in the day. Not terrible, but less than ideal and worse than some of the revenue options.

Originally Posted by PTahCha
As ryman554 had pointed out, UA can open space on its own metal, but cannot force partners to do the same. The best way to approach this is identify UA flights from PIT to ZRH so you'll arrive in time for your connection to FLR. Once identified, call UA, explain the schedule change, and ask to change to the new preferred UA flights. The key is to emphasize that there was a schedule change to avoid any upcharge.

As an alternative, if there is award seats available for the later ZRH-FLR flight, they can make that change as well.
Thanks. Therein lies the problem - there are only two UA metal flights to ZRH - from IAD and ORD. I think we'd have to entirely reroute.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 14, 2022 at 8:18 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:33 pm

Thanks. Therein lies the problem - there are only two UA metal flights to ZRH - from IAD and ORD. I think we'd have to entirely reroute.
Your path of least resistance/effort is to ask to be put on the ORD-ZRH flight and keep your current flight to FLR. Your connection chances go way up in ZRH and that is an efficient airport. Besides, if it requires a longer layover at ORD then you have the Polaris Lounge to enjoy.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Your path of least resistance/effort is to ask to be put on the ORD-ZRH flight and keep your current flight to FLR. Your connection chances go way up in ZRH and that is an efficient airport. Besides, if it requires a longer layover at ORD then you have the Polaris Lounge to enjoy.
That's fair. In all honesty, part of my frustraion was that I had the perfect 2.5 hour layover in IAD to enjoy the new Polaris lounge. My connection options in ORD at 45 minutes or 3.5 hours. Sigh.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
That's fair. In all honesty, part of my frustraion was that I had the perfect 2.5 hour layover in IAD to enjoy the new Polaris lounge. My connection options in ORD at 45 minutes or 3.5 hours. Sigh.
Take the 3.5 hour layover in ORD. Slam dunk. Trade a couple more hours at the beginning for peace of mind during the trip. Enjoy the polaris lounge. Your 50 minute connection @ZRH is probably OK, just hustle to immigration so you don't get stuck in a queue there. While ZRH is fast, 30 minutes is cutting it close. You need to clear immigration formalities @ZRH since it's first entry into Schengen.

You didn't mention the date(?) Do make sure there aren't any covid formalities which may lengthen stuff up. Worst comes to worst, you miss the FLR and you get on the next one. There's pretty good coordination between UA and swiss/lufthansa group so you should be good to go there.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I agree that the 3.5 hour connection in ORD, while not ideal, is probably the best option you have at this time. Take the opportunity to have a drink or two at the bar, then a leisurely meal at the dining room, and finally a shower to leave you refreshed before boarding.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Fly to MXP and take the train to FLR?

PIT-IAD-BRU-FLR will work. BRU-FLR has I available for May 5
Old Mar 14, 2022, 7:26 pm

why don't you keep it as it is? zurich to florence is only about an hour flight time. swiss might downgrade you, but you can still fight for lounge access and this might make up the service lost onboard. you might be eligible for downgrade compensation. for an hour flight, what you loss in service onboard might be negligible if they let u in the lounge. don't forget the business class seat is the same as economy with only the next seat blocked.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by aznfreak007
why don't you keep it as it is? zurich to florence is only about an hour flight time. swiss might downgrade you, but you can still fight for lounge access and this might make up the service lost onboard. you might be eligible for downgrade compensation. for an hour flight, what you loss in service onboard might be negligible if they let u in the lounge. don't forget the business class seat is the same as economy with only the next seat blocked.
Others can verify but isnt Eurobiz on LX essentially the same as UAs E+ with the middle seat blocked? In other words, better than Europe J on LH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.