Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2022, 6:37 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Monched
I have a reservation and I have been cautiously optimistic about travel to Japan in March, but the latest news makes it seem highly unlikely. Borders are closed for everyone until at least March. At this point, I think I will cancel.
OP, if you really want to visit Japan, just wait until the fat lady sings. Otherwise, you will get a full refund for this trip.
I am in the same boat with a reservation in the middle March. I am not optimistic about it, though.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by VRFast
If it changes back to 737 and I have row 7 or 9, would I be downgraded if first is filled up?
20 pax will get a seat assignment on the new frame, and others will not. Who does or doesn't is at the discretion (or lack thereof) of the United monkeys with the dartboard.

Policy is to solicit volunteers for the downgrade, and then downgrade upgrades first by reverse status, and finally paying pax in the same order as an IDB.

In practice, sometimes they follow policy and sometimes they downgrade people with no seat assignment.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Partial refunds of a RT international ticket not allowed?

I booked a RT Asia-US P fare, and a major schedule change occurred on the return: a two-stop itinerary went to a three-stop itinerary. However, I wanted to keep the outbound flight, and flew it as booked. Now, when I call UA to get a partial refund for the return leg due to the schedule change, multiple agents have said they need to go to the rate desk to get the one-way fare for KUL-US and refund me the difference between that and the RT fare.

I have been in this exact situation with AA, and they refunded me the residual half of the RT fare, which is what I expected to happen here. Obviously the residual half in this instance is quite a bit more than the difference between a RT and one-way fare. Is the latter standard UA practice, or if not, how can I get them to refund me the residual half?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
I booked a RT Asia-US P fare, and a major schedule change occurred on the return: a two-stop itinerary went to a three-stop itinerary. However, I wanted to keep the outbound flight, and flew it as booked. Now, when I call UA to get a partial refund for the return leg due to the schedule change, multiple agents have said they need to go to the rate desk to get the one-way fare for KUL-US and refund me the difference between that and the RT fare.

I have been in this exact situation with AA, and they refunded me the residual half of the RT fare, which is what I expected to happen here. Obviously the residual half in this instance is quite a bit more than the difference between a RT and one-way fare. Is the latter standard UA practice, or if not, how can I get them to refund me the residual half?
Believe you should be able to see outbound and return split (at least the PQP part of it) in the app, and by now the outbound would have registered to your MP account. These splits may be far from the 50/50 mark. Dont understand what UA feels is debatable.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Believe you should be able to see outbound and return split (at least the PQP part of it) in the app, and by now the outbound would have registered to your MP account. These splits may be far from the 50/50 mark. Dont understand what UA feels is debatable.
Outbound and return PQP are split 50/50 evenly.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 6:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dkc192
... Obviously the residual half in this instance is quite a bit more than the difference between a RT and one-way fare. Is the latter standard UA practice, or if not, how can I get them to refund me the residual half?
Yes, that us standard UA for voluntary cancellation. Otherwise it becomes a backdoor way to defeat normal high one-way fares where they exist.

However if the schedule change moved you into "refundable" situation (2 hour change in arrival or departure -- usually occurs if a stop is added), then UA will split the fare.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
What do you want? To refund or get pushed/switched on to the UA flight?

David
At this point, I almost certainly just want a refund. I dont think Ill be allowed in the country any time soon, so the same-day United flight is not my preference. A flight credit wont do me any good, because I originally had the good fortune of getting one of those absurdly cheap flights to Japan. Im not expecting to be able to replicate it any time soon.

If I could change the date to 6 months out, Id prefer that. Is that an option to ask for? I imagine not. Its in Uniteds interest to make me repurchase at significantly higher prices.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 2:01 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Monched
At this point, I almost certainly just want a refund. I dont think Ill be allowed in the country any time soon, so the same-day United flight is not my preference. A flight credit wont do me any good, because I originally had the good fortune of getting one of those absurdly cheap flights to Japan. Im not expecting to be able to replicate it any time soon.

If I could change the date to 6 months out, Id prefer that. Is that an option to ask for? I imagine not. Its in Uniteds interest to make me repurchase at significantly higher prices.
The best UA will do is to postpone your trip by one week. I got two similar tickets and got upgraded with PlusPoints. A friend of mine got more tickets. I think that I will wait until late February to cancel my ticket because I will loan UA interest-free loan as long as possible.
Cheers!
Old Jan 14, 2022, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, that us standard UA for voluntary cancellation. Otherwise it becomes a backdoor way to defeat normal high one-way fares where they exist.

However if the schedule change moved you into "refundable" situation (2 hour change in arrival or departure -- usually occurs if a stop is added), then UA will split the fare.
Yes, the schedule change qualifies me for a refund: nonstop DEN-NRT went to a connection. I think the third agent I spoke to finally understood this bit, and sent it off to refunds with a specific note to that effect.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 10:25 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Noticed a schedule change for April last night...

Logged out without doing anything...
(received a "your request could not be processed" error message when logging out )

Looked at the itinerary this morning as I wanted to look for alternative flights and the schedule change had been accepted

Not happy and will wait until Monday before calling
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:02 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Connection time at EWR changed to 43 minutes. What happens if I miss connection?

Im travelling kids in tow (5,8) BOS-EWR-CUN and UA have just changed the scheduled, delaying my BOS flight by 15 mins or so and pulling forward the EWR-CUN by 45 mins or so, changing my carefully planned, leisurely 2 hourish connection down to 43 mins.

This is obv a legal connection and I imagine easily doable in Terminal c, if all goes well.

My question is what happens if all does not go well?

UA have another direct flight leaving a couple of hours later, so wouldnt be too big a deal If that flight is full however, as misconnects, would they guarantee to put us on it, or if full would we be at the mercy of at least 4 people not making it, to get on board?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:19 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
If this were me with two little kids involved i would be calling United to see about being put on an earlier flight or later flight.

I had a similar change for a flight in November and it was just me. I had to hussle as the first flight was delayed and just made my connecting flight as it was delayed. I would not want to be in that position with little kids.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
45 min earlier is enough for a free change. Pick your preferred connection airport and ask for a re-route.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Im already on the 6AM out of Boston, so earlier isnt really an option

Flying the night before and staying at EWR is something Im considering, it will be a big extra drag though and if I knew we were guaranteed to get on the later direct flight, Id definitely not bother.

I think changing onto that later connecting flight is probably the best option and just sucking up 3 hours in EWR and two less hours in Mexico

Originally Posted by cfischer
45 min earlier is enough for a free change. Pick your preferred connection airport and ask for a re-route.
I checked and there is nothing really on offer better than the 3 hours at EWR.

Bit of a first world problem, I know Ill be annoyed if I arrive on time and we get off and see the other flight boarding, while we have to wait!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 18, 2022 at 7:36 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Im already on the 6AM out of Boston, so earlier isnt really an option

Flying the night before and staying at EWR is something Im considering, it will be a big extra drag though and if I knew we were guaranteed to get on the later direct flight, Id definitely not bother.

I think changing onto that later connecting flight is probably the best option and just sucking up 3 hours in EWR and two less hours in Mexico

I checked and there is nothing really on offer better than the 3 hours at EWR.

Bit of a first world problem, I know Ill be annoyed if I arrive on time and we get off and see the other flight boarding, while we have to wait!
If 45m is way too short and 3hrs is way too long

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.