Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Phillies
You are only paying $100 for the pp card?? How did you manage that ?
See his previous postings and UA status.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by brarrr
anyone seen anything that says if or when the avis perk goes away? or just speculation?
Got a mailing.
You need to enroll by 12/31/14 if you don't yet have the Avis status and the benefit expires 12/31/15.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Got a mailing.
You need to enroll by 12/31/14 if you don't yet have the Avis status and the benefit expires 12/31/15.
It's a great benefit, at least it is good for another year.

I matched my Avis status to Hertz anyway, so the new "benefit" is only really a serious downgrade.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, National Exec
Originally Posted by Boghopper
I actually found the Avis status pretty useless (just as useless as the hertz status). These days I book hertz just to see if I get the random good upgrade and generally end up at national picking a car I actually want. The last time I was in FLL Hertz offered me a Cruze as an upgrade.
Bingo. I have a couple of places I travel where National doesn't exist, and I would get something better than a beat up corolla out of Avis with the upgrade but in general I vastly prefer the simplicity of National.

I will admit that one time I did get an Infiniti M with heated seats (at SFO in the winter) out of Avis as my upgrade once which at the time got me thinking I needed to get a new car...

The only benefit I see to having Hertz as my backup is that it does seem like the ratio of any other company to Hertz buses at LAX is like 1 to 10 at best.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I don't really care either way about which car company is particularly statused...

Once you're in their "bypass mode", that's all that really matters to me, I want to get in the car and get on my way. Unless I'm hauling more than one other person around, what do I care if I get a "full size" or a compact(which is what I reserve). The compacts use less fuel and are easier to parallel park. I really don't understand the obsession with getting a "bigger" car.

Avis in TPA gave me an "upgrade" to a Jeep, the attendant was all excited, and unbuttoned the top for me which was great.... until it started pouring the next day and I had to figure out how to put it all together. More trouble than it was worth.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
The Avis PC got me a great rate on a rental in London once. In the U.S., not so much.

Chances are I'd never use the Hertz benefit since their rates are so high.

I've always been an Alamo guy (even better after the merge with National) - lowest rates of the majors, check in online, bypass the counter and go straight to the cars, pick any car in class, no "status" needed.

Agree with entropy, I get pissed when they don't have the smaller car I reserved in stock and they "upgrade" me to a big azz Buick or something. In a major city, I want the smaller, nimbler car to negotiate traffic and park.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
thanks to a UA cxl i got to drive 250mi from sfo in an avis this past week... originally reserved in san luis obispo, switched to sfo, upgraded from compact to mustang. doubt that'd have happened with hertz.

got the same mailer saying benefits through dec 31 2015.

agree that once you're in the bypass category that's all that matters.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by paule123
I've always been an Alamo guy (even better after the merge with National) - lowest rates of the majors, check in online, bypass the counter and go straight to the cars, pick any car in class, no "status" needed.
Getting OT but National matched my Avis PP status to their top level, Executive Elite, which gives you access to the Executive aisle and a choice of a full-size or higher car each time.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Getting OT but National matched my Avis PP status to their top level, Executive Elite, which gives you access to the Executive aisle and a choice of a full-size or higher car each time.
Does the status match last only for 1 year or will it last forever?

I would definitely want to spend my last year with Avis, than status match over to National. Even 1 year will be good!

I hate Hertz!!!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Does the status match last only for 1 year or will it last forever?

I would definitely want to spend my last year with Avis, than status match over to National. Even 1 year will be good!

I hate Hertz!!!
Seems to last forever. I status matched to National in 2012, and still retain the status even though I've only rented once a year from them.

https://statusmatch.emeraldclub.com/
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by paule123
Seems to last forever. I status matched to National in 2012, and still retain the status even though I've only rented once a year from them.

https://statusmatch.emeraldclub.com/
It appears National may no longer be status matching Avis President's Club members who have their membership through the Chase United Presidential Plus card.

Several times in the status matching process is the following language: Your membership and status must have been activated between January 1, 2013, and today.

Since Presidential Plus card holders have had their card, and thus their Avis President's Club membership, prior to January 1, 2013 it would appear to be impossible to meet the above condition.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
It appears National may no longer be status matching Avis President's Club members who have their membership through the Chase United Presidential Plus card.

Several times in the status matching process is the following language: Your membership and status must have been activated between January 1, 2013, and today.

Since Presidential Plus card holders have had their card, and thus their Avis President's Club membership, prior to January 1, 2013 it would appear to be impossible to meet the above condition.
Than the status match is useless for others that have been with Avis (without PP) for many year.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Than the status match is useless for others that have been with Avis (without PP) for many year.
I agree. That's why I am wondering if there is any other interpretation and additionally why this requirement is listed.

I still entered my information for the status match. They ask for a copy of one's most recent Avis monthly statement. Huh???? I sent them a copy of my membership card and stated Avis does not produce monthly statements.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:11 pm

I agree. That's why I am wondering if there is any other interpretation and additionally why this requirement is listed.

I still entered my information for the status match. They ask for a copy of one's most recent Avis monthly statement. Huh???? I sent them a copy of my membership card and stated Avis does not produce monthly statements.
I hope that they just write that there so people that are trying to submit will be like "oh im just wasting my time". But there's no actual way for them to proof that we took it from the PC card.

I'm working on this status match and will advise yall when I hear back!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:52 pm

I hope that they just write that there so people that are trying to submit will be like "oh im just wasting my time". But there's no actual way for them to proof that we took it from the PC card.

I'm working on this status match and will advise yall when I hear back!
I just signed on to my National account and my status has changed from "Club Member" to "Executive Elite". Thanks for the link!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.