Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
I believe the story in this link is incorrect - eg pres plus cards are fully exempt from min spend (both on card and in eqd). But some other cards are eqd exempt after a min spend (25k)?

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....d-credit-card/
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by brarrr
I believe the story in this link is incorrect - eg pres plus cards are fully exempt from min spend (both on card and in eqd). But some other cards are eqd exempt after a min spend (25k)?

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....d-credit-card/
I didn't see that comment in the link - my understanding is any CC exemption is only up to the Platinum level, not 1K, regardless of the card.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Avis First is higher.
No it's not.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Boghopper
No it's not.
This was already noted and corrected in post #1881 and subsequent.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, Avis PC, National Exec
FPQM expiration dates

I'm a little confused as to when the Flex PQM's expire.

United states 39 months after they are earned. Thats the answer I got when I called. The agent wasn't sure and so read it from the documentation she found.

Chase website states: “PQM earned beginning January 1, 2012, can be used at any time during the calendar year in which they were earned, plus three additional calendar years, and will then expire if not redeemed.”

https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...nefits-new.htm

Based on the info on the Chase webpage, FPQM's expire sometime between 37 and 48 months after they are earned. For example, FPQM earned in Jan 2012 would be good for all 12 months in 2012, plus 3 additional calendar years (36 months) which totals 48 months. FPQM earned in Dec 2012 would be good for 1 month in 2012 plus 3 additional calendar years which totals 37 months.

My previous understanding was a hybrid between the two above methods. I thought the were good for the calendar year earned, plus 39 months. This would give you a little time after end of calendar year to add them to the previous years PQM total.

So the FPQM's that were deposited to my account in January 2012 likely expire in April 2015, or maybe at the end of December 2015, or maybe March 2016?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by bocasierra
I'm a little confused as to when the Flex PQM's expire.

I thought they were good for the calendar year earned, plus 39 months. This would give you a little time after end of calendar year to add them to the previous years PQM total.
That's always been my understanding and is basically what it says on the United site:

"Flex PQM earned on or after January 1, 2012, will expire 39 months after the end of the calendar year during which they were deposited into your account."

So FPQM's deposited at anytime in 2012 would expire end of 3/2016.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:06 am
RNE

Originally Posted by stanj
That's always been my understanding and is basically what it says on the United site:

"Flex PQM earned on or after January 1, 2012, will expire 39 months after the end of the calendar year during which they were deposited into your account."

So FPQM's deposited at anytime in 2012 would expire end of 3/2016.
That's my understanding too. No need to worry about using or losing XFPQMs until 2016.

RNE, noting that NXFPQMs are not affected.

Any other Presidential Plus cardholders seeing this "advertisement" on their Account page on United.com?

It links to this page (below), a rehash of the card's benefits—which haven't changed in forever, so why the reminder? The image just showed up recently and my annual fee just so happens to be due soon. Coincidence?

https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ate=2014-09-19

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 17, 2014 at 3:20 pm
Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RNE
Any other Presidential Plus cardholders seeing this "advertisement" on their Account page on United.com?

It links to this page (below), a rehash of the card's benefits—which haven't changed in forever, so why the reminder? The image just showed up recently and my annual fee just so happens to be due soon. Coincidence?

I get almost monthly emails from United reminding me about all the benefits of the card. It seems to be just the same old stuff time and time again.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:51 pm

Milage plus preditinal card losing avis benefit

I can't belive they are taking away the avis presidential status and replacing it with hertz I have not had good dealings with hertz and it's really a downgrade in benefits only a one class upgrade opposed to a 2 car upgrade United and chase really dropped the ball on this as soon as dec 2015 hits thinking of canceling my card.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 4:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
For those that have not heard
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-...-hertz-pc.html
surely related to
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ar-rental.html
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ing-hertz.html
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by D98lakefan
I can't belive they are taking away the avis presidential status and replacing it with hertz I have not had good dealings with hertz and it's really a downgrade in benefits only a one class upgrade opposed to a 2 car upgrade United and chase really dropped the ball on this as soon as dec 2015 hits thinking of canceling my card.
I actually found the Avis status pretty useless (just as useless as the hertz status). These days I book hertz just to see if I get the random good upgrade and generally end up at national picking a car I actually want. The last time I was in FLL Hertz offered me a Cruze as an upgrade.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Boghopper
I actually found the Avis status pretty useless (just as useless as the hertz status).
I would have to agree. The best I've ever gtten from Avis has been a free newspaper in my car.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I don't care as long as: 1. I can just jump in the car & go; and 2. Hertz is massively more expensive, which I recall it used to be...
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by RNE

I was looking at that page too the other day, and couldn't figure out how to apply for it! I've read other places, that in some instances, one can convert the chase united club card to Pres card.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by RNE
Ads? What are those?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.