Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

North TATL 757 fuel stops / diversion delays [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Due to winter (most common Dec/Jan) weather/jetstream conditions for northern TATL flights, the 757-200's UA uses for the thin european routes need to make fuel stop / diversions. Typically at Bangor (BGR) / Goose Bay(YYR) / Gander (YQX) /St. John's (YYT), ....
The most commonly affected European routes are Barcelona (BCN), Berlin (TXL), Hamburg (HAM), Madrid (MAD), Oslo (OSL), Stockholm (ARN)

Interesting maps
Weather Model - North Atlantic Jet Stream Wind
North Atlantic Jet Stream Forecasts

Related / previous threads
Why does United put 757s on certain flights from EWR to europe

[757-200 diversions] CO starting hubs at Gander, Goose Bay, etc. [threads merged] pmCO

UA69 (ARN-EWR): Wrong plane, wrong fuel calculations, or bad weather?

2013 Westbound TATL 757 "Short Stops"

Consolidated "United 757 TATL Fuel Stop" Thread [Merged] 2012
Print Wikipost

North TATL 757 fuel stops / diversion delays [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:01 pm
RNE

Anecdotally, aren't some fares on TATL 757s less costly than on wide bodies? I know this was the case on my last jaunt across the pond. If so, then isn't that "compensation" for the risk of a fuel stop?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by RNE
Anecdotally, aren't some fares on TATL 757s less costly than on wide bodies? I know this was the case on my last jaunt across the pond. If so, then isn't that "compensation" for the risk of a fuel stop?
Usually nonstops price higher than 1-stops
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:24 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Usually nonstops price higher than 1-stops
Agreed. But I meant 757 nonstops cost less than 767 and 777 nonstops on the same route. And I was speaking anecdotally, of course.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by RNE
Agreed. But I meant 757 nonstops cost less than 767 and 777 nonstops on the same route. And I was speaking anecdotally, of course.
there aren't too many routes where you can have the option between 752 and a widebody... only a few come to mind...

EWR-CDG
EWR-LHR
IAD-LHR

in my very non-scientific sampling of a few random 4 day trips in the near future, the pricing is the same for all outbound and return flights regardless of equipment on those routes. certainly, YMMV as always.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
there aren't too many routes where you can have the option between 752 and a widebody... only a few come to mind...

EWR-CDG
EWR-LHR
IAD-LHR

in my very non-scientific sampling of a few random 4 day trips in the near future, the pricing is the same for all outbound and return flights regardless of equipment on those routes. certainly, YMMV as always.
I just booked an IAD-LHR r/t, and the fare was the same for all three flights. Upgrades with GPU were available for all three departures and returns, but I chose one of the 777 flights, because I'm not interested in seeing Goose Bay.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
Because the 752s are all they've got, and UA has taken a good CO idea (752s on short TATLs to secondary stations like DUB / BRS / BFS) and turned it into a bad idea (752s on longer TATLs on the edge of their range capability to primary markets).
Most of the "new" UA top brass are simply the CO execs with new signs on their office doors. So really when you talk about "UA" doing this or that you're still talking essentially about CO.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Are they still retiring 11 767's this year?

If they move all the 767's to EWR what will ORD be left with? 787?

We have 3 x LHR, 1 CDG, 1 AMS. I'm sure I'm missing another.

It does seem like UA has some extra slack in the 67 fleet. I had 2 cancel the same day and they still found a 3rd.
All 3-cabin 763s will be getting converted to the 2-cabin 76E standard. Most likely they will route throughout the hubs and some domestic markets instead of being dedicated to a certain hub. No plans at this time to route the 787s thru ORD.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
All 3-cabin 763s will be getting converted to the 2-cabin 76E standard. Most likely they will route throughout the hubs and some domestic markets instead of being dedicated to a certain hub. No plans at this time to route the 787s thru ORD.
Sounds like a great plan. And with this change, the urge to order the A321LR will be a lot less. Perhaps UA can wait for the later batches with PIPs included before jumping onto it.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:26 am

TXL-EWR diverted to LGA

TXL-EWR was diverted to LGA, a couple days ago. I wonder how they handle Immigration clearance in such a case given the fact that LGA doesn't have CBP facilities?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Schneestarre
TXL-EWR was diverted to LGA, a couple days ago. I wonder how they handle Immigration clearance in such a case given the fact that LGA doesn't have CBP facilities?
That's a 15 mile difference according to GCMap. Was it because of traffic/wx at EWR? I was gone the past few days but I saw on the weather app some cloud/thunderbolt days in NYC.
Did they deplane there or fly back to EWR? I've had the opposite happen twice where we were meant for LGA but ended up at EWR. One time the plane took off and landed at LGA and the other time it terminated at EWR.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
That's a 15 mile difference according to GCMap. Was it because of traffic/wx at EWR? I was gone the past few days but I saw on the weather app some cloud/thunderbolt days in NYC.
Did they deplane there or fly back to EWR? I've had the opposite happen twice where we were meant for LGA but ended up at EWR. One time the plane took off and landed at LGA and the other time it terminated at EWR.
When I've been in a similar situation, in my case weather-related combined with running low on fuel. We landed at a near-by airport, they put more fuel on board and then held us there on the plane until we had clearance to proceed to the original destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.