Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:06 pm
Suspended

No PDB a while back on the early morning TPA-IAH flight...I sat patiently for my morning Tito's and OJ......I asked if I can have my drink....The response I got was "everything is already locked up".....I was like....well unlock everything and lets get this going.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
PEK-SFO. Only OJ, water or champagne. She wouldn’t budge when I asked for a cocktail, claiming the liquor carts are locked on the ground. Wonderful new Polaris service.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
PEK-SFO. Only OJ, water or champagne. She wouldn’t budge when I asked for a cocktail, claiming the liquor carts are locked on the ground. Wonderful new Polaris service.
Do you have a reason to believe they weren't locked?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:24 am

50+ UA flights out of PEK tells me there has never been such a policy. Happy for someone to prove me wrong.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 5:11 am

She was correct. Some FAs break the seal on the ground but they are not supposed to.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

IME on long haul flights, the PDB service - or lack thereof - is a good indicator of how service will be during the flight. No or rushed haphazard PDB means sloppy uncaring service is in my future.
SFO 1K and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by halls120

IME on long haul flights, the PDB service - or lack thereof - is a good indicator of how service will be during the flight. No or rushed haphazard PDB means sloppy uncaring service is in my future.
I love this indicator thing. It would be interesting to start a new thread about predicting the quality of onboard service from the initial action of FAs. What do you think?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
My first experience of the Polaris hard product LHR-SFO June 5 there was no PDB. I just drank the bottle of water that was in the cubby (I suspect it was for during the flight but I try and drink as much water as I can during a flight).

Service was very good on the flight (but I had given the FAs a box of chocolates as I think day time flights are a hard gig for them).

Seriously though with the access to Polaris loumges/Club lounge one can certainly have a PDB with a better ambience than a metal container, albeit PDB is marketed as a benefit.

it is more annoying to me on domestic flights not to receive the PDB, especially if I have not had access to a lounge or it is my originating airport so spend the additional time at home rather than an airport lounge and generally had everything timed down to the minute so a PDB is very welcome, although inconsistently offered.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
UA 2034 ORD-CHS 737-700 July 4. No PDB. Weather fine, no irrops, flight on time. Very lazy crew throughout the 1h50m flight.😡
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
UA 2034 ORD-CHS 737-700 July 4. No PDB. Weather fine, no irrops, flight on time. Very lazy crew throughout the 1h50m flight.😡
Please submit a complaint, whether by 1K voice or through the GS email.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Meola10

She was correct. Some FAs break the seal on the ground but they are not supposed to.
Please elaborate. When or where is this case?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Please elaborate. When or where is this case?
The FAs are not supposed to break the seal of the box containing the alcohols before leaving the ground from foreign countries. That's why they don't serve champagne for the Pre Departure Beverage that is more highly taxed and they serve some cheap sparkling wine. Some FAs may do it but it's agains the rules and then if the plane has to go back to the gate, taxes may be charged on the alcohols. Example, last Sunday, the PVG-ORD left the gate. After 3 hours it came back to the gate and only left the next day. It would not have been good for the FAs of that flight to have opened the box of alcohols before leaving the gate.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
The FAs are not supposed to break the seal of the box containing the alcohols before leaving the ground from foreign countries. That's why they don't serve champagne for the Pre Departure Beverage that is more highly taxed and they serve some cheap sparkling wine. Some FAs may do it but it's agains the rules and then if the plane has to go back to the gate, taxes may be charged on the alcohols. Example, last Sunday, the PVG-ORD left the gate. After 3 hours it came back to the gate and only left the next day. It would not have been good for the FAs of that flight to have opened the box of alcohols before leaving the gate.
So you're telling me that most UA FAs are breaking the rules (if not law) on international departures? That would be 95+% of all my int'l departures since the PDB rules expanded to include all offerings. I find this hard to believe, and certainly should be discussed/written as a matter of common policy/practice.

The only place I've seen this in practice is Saudi Arabia (for different reasons of course).
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
So you're telling me that most UA FAs are breaking the rules (if not law) on international departures? That would be 95+% of all my int'l departures since the PDB rules expanded to include all offerings. I find this hard to believe, and certainly should be discussed/written as a matter of common policy/practice.

The only place I've seen this in practice is Saudi Arabia (for different reasons of course).
That's what I have been told for years: that it was a tax thing. But now you are making me doubt it. The only thing I can do is ask again when I return from PVG in about 12 days. PVG should be the same rules as PEK.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So you're telling me that most UA FAs are breaking the rules (if not law) on international departures? That would be 95+% of all my int'l departures since the PDB rules expanded to include all offerings. I find this hard to believe, and certainly should be discussed/written as a matter of common policy/practice. …
It appears in the May round of Polaris catering changes, there was a process change on alcohol available for PDB / ground usage -- here is a posting by an FA
Aussienarelle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.