Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Many first class passengers belong to the club and are usually there before their flight and have had drinks so why wound they need more to drink pre departure. I was a club member and when flying first never took a pre departure drink as I already had them as described above.
On narrow body aircraft quite often pre departure drinks in F interferes and delays the boarding process.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Many first class passengers belong to the club and are usually there before their flight and have had drinks so why wound they need more to drink pre departure. I was a club member and when flying first never took a pre departure drink as I already had them as described above.
On narrow body aircraft quite often pre departure drinks in F interferes and delays the boarding process.
Pre-departure beverage is an advertised element of premier cabin service, so the relevance that some flyers for whatever reason may not be interested in having one seems limited, at best.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by seanp7
I've started doing this as well, especially on the 787-10 and when I'm in a Polaris lounge - and with the App Notifications on boarding being fairly reliable, I now wait for that and board later in the process. Why drink the gross sparkling wine as a PDB when you can have Champagne or another Paper Plane in the PL?
I also do this, I don't ever understand why people crowd at the gate an hour before the plane takes off. If the gate closes at T-15 I show up at T-20 usually get right on (unless there was a delay in boarding), sit down the door shuts 5 minutes later and off we go. I don't need to sit on a plane for 45 minutes extra than I already am. And as others have pointed out, have a drink of choice or coffee in the club. Coffee in the club beats the good ole pot in J anyday.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I got my PDB in F today but was only one of about four of us who were offered. There were 12 seats in F. The 1 x 2 config for 4 rows (commuter plane of some kind).

The man next to me had boarded after me and even opened the tray for me as I could not get it to open but he was not offered a PDB. During the flight I even received a refill after my first drink. I know I need my coffee in the morning so I do not kill small children or animals so I appreciated it, but again the man next to me was not offered a refill. I was having coffee and he was having tea.

So there would be been pax on my flight this morning who could say they were not offered their PDB, it's just I was not one of them.
narvik likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
last week SFO-BOS they came through with water only. I asked for something else and the snarky FA said something like 'I will have to ask if we can do that before we are in the air'. She ended up bringing what I wanted, but really? That is UA's p.s. service?
seanp7 and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by physioprof
Pre-departure beverage is an advertised element of premier cabin service, so the relevance that some flyers for whatever reason may not be interested in having one seems limited, at best.
Just curious - where is it actually advertised? I've never seen it officially listed.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by villox
Just curious - where is it actually advertised? I've never seen it officially listed.
I checked maybe a year ago and the PDB was included in the service description. I can no longer find any mention of it on United's site.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I checked maybe a year ago and the PDB was included in the service description. I can no longer find any mention of it on United's site.
Wayback, https://archive.org/web/, can find previous web content.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
When I depart SFO, I tend not to arrive with enough time to visit a United Club. If I've cleared security before boarding begins, then I timed my trip poorly.

So my first drink of the day is often the PDB, and it's very much appreciated.

I could also leave a comment with the same tone as yours though. Many first class passengers value their time, and wouldn't spend a single extra minute in the airport or a United Club. So why bother serving alcohol there, or even having them in the first place?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by villox
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Wayback, https://archive.org/web/, can find previous web content.
It's a little tricky to find all of the old content, since UA have changed some of the URLs. But wayback machine does at least pull some versions of the First service description that explicitly list PDB.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150317...ght/first.aspx

It seems when they redesigned the premium cabin pages, they removed that description.

So I guess we have nothing to complain about any longer.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by cfischer
last week SFO-BOS they came through with water only. I asked for something else and the snarky FA said something like 'I will have to ask if we can do that before we are in the air'. She ended up bringing what I wanted, but really? That is UA's p.s. service?
PBD is a first world problem. Even then... UA is supposed to be in the hospitality business. Flight attendants are there for your safety, sure. But that part of their duties occupies them for a fraction of the flight time. During the rest of the time, they are essentially ambassadors for the company.

Personally, I don't care that much for that PBD. If folks are in a hurry, I am fine if they skip over it. Maybe that it is my decade-long experience intensively flying in Y that conditions my expectations. But what I do expect is polite service with a smile. I absolutely hate lack of basic politeness.

If polite service is not your thing, perhaps you should go to work for the likes of RyanAir - apparently, snarkiness is trendy there. Which is why I will never fly them.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by fumje
It's a little tricky to find all of the old content, since UA have changed some of the URLs. But wayback machine does at least pull some versions of the First service description that explicitly list PDB.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150317...ght/first.aspx

It seems when they redesigned the premium cabin pages, they removed that description.

So I guess we have nothing to complain about any longer.
Interesting!
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting!
That is one word for it.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
UA should just put one of those eco-friendly packaged (collapsible) waters at every seat prior to boarding so they can a) say they are better than DL [in this regard] and b) potentially reduce the back and forth to the galley for PDB's during boarding, since some folks often just ask for water anyway... @:-)
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
When I depart SFO, I tend not to arrive with enough time to visit a United Club. If I've cleared security before boarding begins, then I timed my trip poorly.

So my first drink of the day is often the PDB, and it's very much appreciated.

I could also leave a comment with the same tone as yours though. Many first class passengers value their time, and wouldn't spend a single extra minute in the airport or a United Club. So why bother serving alcohol there, or even having them in the first place?
I feel that way about SAN (as it is my home airport) but not SFO as I often connect through SFO. So I do want the access in SFO (and all hubs) as it is a connection point for me and do not want to hang round the gate for longer than necessary.

So I like the PDB from SAN....from my connection not as fussed as I have been in the UC/Centurion lounge/Polaris lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.