Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
well of course they are not. Now, if a company sends you a post-experience survey how you appreciated the various features of 'a service', they clearly expected that you and all other guests experiences such service, wouldn't you agree? There are many unpublished services with UA or any other service provider, we can't assume that the lack of explicit publishing means they do not intend to offer it.
It was a sincere question, I did not mean to give snark. I guess that's down to interpretation then. Although I do also expect a PDB to be offered, because they are not advertising or publishing it, I don't see that I can legitimately complain about not getting it. Perhaps it is akin to having my jacket hung up and returned to me -- a service that is common enough that it feels standard, but that as far as I can tell isn't actually part of the soft product.

But anyway that's a bit academic as I think I've never been inclined to write in about no PDB and make it an official complaint of service failure, no matter whether published or not -- prefer to just gripe here and / or in surveys.
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Perhaps it is akin to having my jacket hung up and returned to me
Huh - I haven't had that happen in years
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by fumje

But anyway that's a bit academic as I think I've never been inclined to write in about no PDB and make it an official complaint of service failure, no matter whether published or not -- prefer to just gripe here and / or in surveys.
GREAT post - EXACTLY as I see it too.

I reckon UA realized their occasional lack of providing this particular service, so they took it off their "official" published benefit, so they don't have to provide compensation if not provided.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:41 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Odd situation at CHS yesterday where B1 gate was being worked on. It looked like there were issues with the actual concrete that some guys were using a blow torch on (it looked as weird as that sounds). This forced my inbound A319 to hold for ~35 minutes waiting for the RJ to push from B3. Once that opened they deplaned in less than 10 minutes and started us boarding. FA made the comment that there were only 60 pax on the flight so they could still turn it for an early departure. No PDB to help accomplish that but, sure enough, we were doors closed with 3 minutes to spare despite the 35 minute inbound hold and an already pretty tight turn-time. I think they boarded the flight in about 9 minutes.

Front cabin service was great throughout the flight and I was headed home so happy to trade the PDB for an on time arrival. I presume this is up purely to FA discretion.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Good thing they don't publish the offer of it then, eh!

I don't wear a jacket much, but I still get it occasionally.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
Yes to PDB on a BOS-EWR leg yesterday. Bev Service and "refreshments" as well. Stellar crew. Followed by Yes to PDB on the ensuing UAX from EWR.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:32 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I wear a sport coat on 95% of my flights and almost always have it hung up by the FA. The only exceptions to that are the A319/20 flights where I hang it up myself because I tend to sit in row 2 or 3. Maybe its because I tend to be on business-heavy routes but the FA will often take it from me before they even start PDBs.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by LIH
I wear a sport coat on 95% of my flights and almost always have it hung up by the FA. The only exceptions to that are the A319/20 flights where I hang it up myself because I tend to sit in row 2 or 3. Maybe its because I tend to be on business-heavy routes but the FA will often take it from me before they even start PDBs.
I often have to ask, but when I do the FA happily hangs up my coat. I always wear one.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA GS
No PDB today on EWR-DEL. Flight perfectly on time, asked about it and was told “it’s very crowded when boarding may have to wait until after takeoff” (yes how very unique that there are people in the aisles when boarding)

The entertainment system also appears broken.

I rarely complain but this is looking like one of those situations.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:22 pm

Same in ORD-SNA roday

they also didn’t take jackets
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by villox
No PDB today on EWR-DEL. Flight perfectly on time, asked about it and was told “it’s very crowded when boarding may have to wait until after takeoff” (yes how very unique that there are people in the aisles when boarding)

The entertainment system also appears broken.

I rarely complain but this is looking like one of those situations.

I think it is actually good for UA to know when these things happen, especially for intl. Polaris flights. Lazy crew.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by jp12687
they also didn’t take jackets
Savages.
Kacee likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 12:38 am

A gripe that I have with UA regional F is the lack of meals. Often times I’ve got 60 to 90 min rides on UX to hubs like ORD and EWR and all I get is a snack basket. Meanwhile flying AC J last week from YYZ to PHL (75 min flight) I got this:

Originally Posted by villox
No PDB today on EWR-DEL. Flight perfectly on time, asked about it and was told “it’s very crowded when boarding may have to wait until after takeoff” (yes how very unique that there are people in the aisles when boarding).
In fairness they do have a point most people from Europe and the Americas don’t know how to board and deplane an airplane. I would encourage you to watch carefully how your fellow travellers board. Some struggle to figure out how to place their bag in the overhead bin, others can’t figure out where their seat is on the airplane, etc. As a result we’ve got crowded aisles and delayed boarding. Contrast that with Asia and NH being able to board a 777 in 15 minutes. We’re lucky for it to take that long to board a CRJ!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
A gripe that I have with UA regional F is the lack of meals. Often times I’ve got 60 to 90 min rides on UX to hubs like ORD and EWR and all I get is a snack basket. Meanwhile flying AC J last week from YYZ to PHL (75 min flight) I got this:
In fairness they do have a point most people from Europe and the Americas don’t know how to board and deplane an airplane. I would encourage you to watch carefully how your fellow travellers board. Some struggle to figure out how to place their bag in the overhead bin, others can’t figure out where their seat is on the airplane, etc. As a result we’ve got crowded aisles and delayed boarding. Contrast that with Asia and NH being able to board a 777 in 15 minutes. We’re lucky for it to take that long to board a CRJ!
In fairness - that looks awful
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Originally Posted by j2simpso

Safe Travels,

James
I used to think the same thing (more the lines of "international travelers are more experienced, domestic are amateurs." However there is significant efficiency gained in multiple aisles and multiple boarding doors not even accounting for more overhead bin space per seat + the amount of real estate taken by premium seating + crew areas + lavs allows better spacing and queuing of PAX while they board.

I do digress, in and out of MCO is a nightmare..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.