Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Contrast that with Asia
Asia is a big, diverse place.

One would imagine that some of the people on this EWR-DEL flight are "from Asia", for example.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I'm a bit late, but no PDB on NRT-EWR on 9/23. Nothing out of the ordinary with boarding, so not sure why it wasn't offered. The rest of the service actually ended up being fine, or maybe my expectations were lowered given the shaky start.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:26 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by j2simpso
A gripe that I have with UA regional F is the lack of meals. Often times I’ve got 60 to 90 min rides on UX to hubs like ORD and EWR and all I get is a snack basket. Meanwhile flying AC J last week from YYZ to PHL (75 min flight) I got this:

In fairness they do have a point most people from Europe and the Americas don’t know how to board and deplane an airplane. I would encourage you to watch carefully how your fellow travellers board. Some struggle to figure out how to place their bag in the overhead bin, others can’t figure out where their seat is on the airplane, etc. As a result we’ve got crowded aisles and delayed boarding. Contrast that with Asia and NH being able to board a 777 in 15 minutes. We’re lucky for it to take that long to board a CRJ!

Safe Travels,

James
I am still shocked everytime on AC short-haul that they served a hot meal with newspaper service in J. Then again, the Y to J price differential is significantly higher on AC than UA, as much as $500 or more for a 60 minute flight.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
I'm a bit late, but no PDB on NRT-EWR on 9/23. Nothing out of the ordinary with boarding, so not sure why it wasn't offered. The rest of the service actually ended up being fine, or maybe my expectations were lowered given the shaky start.
The tickets on that route are not cheap and one should expect a nice PDB. I would make a stink about that
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
No PDB today UA 945 FRA-ORD. Slight delay due to inbound, but no big deal. Could have at least offered water. When asked the answer was “we’ll start our service shortly after takeoff.”
Old Oct 3, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gmt4
No PDB today UA 945 FRA-ORD. Slight delay due to inbound, but no big deal. Could have at least offered water. When asked the answer was “we’ll start our service shortly after takeoff.”
It's well known that the FAs' passion only starts at takeoff.
LimeySD likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
I was on the same NRT to EWR on 9/23 but I think this is a pattern. On my ORD to FRA on Saturday no PDB and ditto on the return. Importantly every recent international flight comes up empty when requesting a glass of Colgnac. I don't understand why they advertise its availability yet I have seen it only once any of the flights I have taken last month.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nigos
I was on the same NRT to EWR on 9/23 but I think this is a pattern. On my ORD to FRA on Saturday no PDB and ditto on the return. Importantly every recent international flight comes up empty when requesting a glass of Colgnac. I don't understand why they advertise its availability yet I have seen it only once any of the flights I have taken last month.
I can't speak to the cognac, but my IAD-NRT the week prior had PDB's (and a really good crew!).
Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
No PDB on UA14 EWR-LHR 22 OCT, nor on the return UA15 28 OCT. Boarding happened on time and without issue on both flights, but not even a hint of a PDB. Really underwhelmed with the J service on the 763 all around; there’s very little “premium” about the experience. If it weren’t for the option of a quick shower on arrival, I’d be just as well off sitting in PE.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Late to post this, but no PDB on UA339 DEN-SEA on Oct. 11. This was probably exacerbated by the fact that the purser didn't even realize she was the purser for the flight until door closed...
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
DEN-IAD today. No PDB offered and an extremely rushed service did not start until 55 minutes after take-off. Weather wasn’t a factor as it was smooth sailing all the way until final at IAD. The two FC FAs sent most of the boarding period chatting in the galley.

I had a mimosa with breakfast and ordered a second when I was able to get her attention to she told “we are out of bubbles”.

Last edited by limey1K; Nov 7, 2019 at 1:06 pm
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by limey1K
DEN-IAD today. No PDB offered and an extremely rushed service did not start until 55 minutes after take-off. Weather wasn’t a factor as it was smooth sailing all the way until final at IAD. The two FC FAs sent most of the boarding period chatting in the galley.

I had a mimosa with breakfast and ordered a second when I was able to get her attention to she told “we are out of bubbles”.
I'll chime in, only since my recent experience was out of DEN as well, but this wasn't my first issue with PDB by a DEN based cabin crew.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
YYZ-IAD (10:05 am departure) on E175. No PDB was served. However, the FA took drink order before airborne. Is there a time restriction for serving drinks at YYZ?
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
YYZ-IAD (10:05 am departure) on E175. No PDB was served. However, the FA took drink order before airborne. Is there a time restriction for serving drinks at YYZ?
No—or at least not on all the other flights!
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:49 am
st3

Programs: United MP
UA1680 IAH-TPA last Friday (11/8)
No PDB despite a 30 minute delay once we were onboard, maintenance was working in the cargo hold, so they certainly had time!
Just the snack basket (although that is typical catering on that route)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.