FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Drink changes, No tomato juice&SpriteZero-social media pressure restores tomato juice
Old May 9, 2018, 11:14 am
fezzington

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiPremier
That's not entirely correct. Polaris2.0 they adjusted PDB to proactively offer water., OJ or sparkling wine to help alleviate the boarding process/pre-flight work for FA's. That said, you are able to request a PDB of choice and I did among others on my recent flight a few days ago. This change occurred on May 1. I don't see how at all this alleviates work for the FA and I would imagine creates more waste as now they're spending time filling glasses of OJ/sparkling wine and water and still going back to the galley if a passenger asks for something else.
You're right, that's the new procedure in theory.

However, in reality, catering has not put any ground liquor onboard. It used to be housed in along with the mini champagne and beer. The liquor and beer have disappeared from this atlas carrier and have been replaced by more mini champagne bottles to accommodate the new procedure. The liquor and beer stock is now only found in the half sized drink carts that are going out into the aisle, which are not supposed to be opened until in flight. Some FAs may be willing to open those carts on the ground to alleviate the issue, but others are definitely not -- I believe liability for failure to follow the correct procedure falls on the individual. I've put in a question about it to the tower, but I haven't heard back yet.

The feedback I've gotten from crews is that it does help having the suggestion of the three, and there are few orders for anything else. Waste so far has been minimal.