Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
In July, YYZ-EWR, I was told no alcohol for PDB. Fine. I'm an AC guy so that's still better than the water/OJ I'm accustomed to.

Right now, YYZ-IAH. Nothing. Not delayed.

I actually made a conscious decision not to grab a can in the lounge because I "knew" I'd get a PDB.

Edit: I just asked, and she said it's due to liquor laws. But that doesn't really explain why I couldn't have water or Coke.
Out of YYC its 80% PDB, some pmCO crews don't do it. So far I haven't noticed alcohol being refused either
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exerda
The second one... no PDBs taken despite the fact we had a minor delay giving them even more time to do so. Had to ask them to take jackets.
In my personal experience, having a delay increases the chance of no PDBs. I highly suspect the customer service rules are suspended when there is a delay. Otherwise I can't explain the number of times I have seen a crew (always from the same pre-merger segment), hang in the forward galley chatting for 20-30 minutes post boarding and NOT offer a PDB.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
IAH-SFO no PDB offered to me.

I was one of the 4 of 20 people who were not upgrades.

Some other people were offered PDBs.

At times like this, I really wish I didn't live in SFO.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:22 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
I was on a call in the UC and was the last to board ORD-SFO but was still on well before departure. No PDB was offered and I wanted something since I'd dashed from the club. Thought I was getting the cold shoulder because they assumed I'd gotten a last minute upgrade. Finally go up to the galley and just ask for a cup of ice so they didn't have open any bottles or cans and get an unhappy look. As I go back to my seat walking past the first few rows, I realize I was now the only guy with a PDB. I'm sure the unhappy look was out of fear I might trigger others wanting something. But there'd be no way for them to know that since they never left the galley until pushback. My cup remained at my seat until the first drink service.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Seems United is taking a step backward with PDBs lately.

Last week a UAX flight (E175) was the tray of OJ/Water. When I asked for a G&T, I was told "not now". I must have looked rather incredulous, since a couple minutes later she dropped one off at my seat. No offer to take coats either.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
What is the best way to make UA aware of the inconsistency?

I am not comfortable complaining about something so trivial, traveling has too many things that can go wrong.

On the survey, I'll mention it in the comments, but if the rest of the flight is great, and I give mostly high marks, I suspect these are ignored.

I also don't want to be branded a perpetual complainer, esp about things that do not really matter. It is also an easy thing for the crew to explain by saying, "boarding ran long, we just didn't have time", which sometimes is true, but sometimes the real reason is "we were chatting". It seems silly tattling on the FAs for "chatting."

Maybe the best answer is to advocate for better work schedules and less transcon same day turns? It will not always improve service, but it should handle the cases of the FAs dozing off in their jumpseats seats mid-flight.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Two Mesa-operated UAX short-haul hops over the weekend - both ways, no PDBs offered.

"Cut a girl some slack" was the response I received on one flight.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I rarely saw a PDB anymore but I just switched to AS and all you get is a small bottled water but at least you can keep it with you...
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
PHX-SFO 2/3. PBD was offered and ordered (water) but never showed up . Other people around me got their drinks but my water never came.

Originally Posted by dmodemd
I rarely saw a PDB anymore but I just switched to AS and all you get is a small bottled water but at least you can keep it with you...
PDB's are hit or miss on AS. Typically I see them on longer flights like SAN-BOS
Old May 27, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I got asked for a PDB today. Asked for. Goose IPA...never got it. They were writing down the orders no less...FAs completely ignored me
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:06 pm

Ua1726 today sea-ewr. Departed 70 min late. No PDB because of "short taxi". Felt like we were on the ground for as long as normal.

Nuts also served cold.

EDIT:Also taking food order front to back and offering, food as beef, chicken or ravioli.

Since we've been in the air the FA has been one of the hardest working I've seen. My glass hasn't been empty ))

Last edited by goalie; Jun 21, 2016 at 8:04 pm Reason: Merge
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
Ua1726 today sea-ewr. Departed 70 min late. No PDB because of "short taxi". Felt like we were on the ground for as long as normal.

Nuts also served cold.
Since your inbound plane was late it appears your overall boarding time was rushed. No excuses but, that's the one time where some crews will skip PDB in favor of getting out even a few minutes faster. Shortened boarding window makes more sense than short taxi.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.1MM | Marriott Lifetime Titanium | National EE
UA3354 DCA-IAH today. Boarded 20 min late due to late FA, then proceeded to take just as long as normal at the gate. No PDB offered.

DCA was a total cluster today with thunderstorms, so we spent 2:40 on the plane before we had to go back to the gate (3 hour rule totally blows). Never offered anything but a cup of water at about 2 hours in, despite several huge periods of time with the engines off and the seatbelt sign off.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
This is a funny thread ... talk about nit-picking. If I am thirsty after boarding, I would ask for a cold drink. If you have been cordial to the FAs on boarding, there shouldn't be a problem. "Sorry to bother you ... " "If you have a minute ..."
Old Jun 26, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by jsn55
This is a funny thread ... talk about nit-picking. If I am thirsty after boarding, I would ask for a cold drink. If you have been cordial to the FAs on boarding, there shouldn't be a problem. "Sorry to bother you ... " "If you have a minute ..."
So if one is sufficiently obsequious, a UA FA may deign to do their job and serve you.

Got it.

Last edited by Sabai; Jun 26, 2016 at 8:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.