Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by Kacee
Have you been doing more sCO flights? That is IME common with the sCO crews. Beverage with meal, not before.
I have experienced this too. Beverage with meal. MAYBE an offer for a refill as they pick up the tray, then nothing. Just wrote in to 1Kvoice about a solid two hours where we never saw the FAs in the F class cabin. When using the restroom, both FAs were in the galley reading. One with his feet way up on the catering cart and a newspaper spread wide. I wanted to take a pic, but knew this is a big no-no. Yes, they were sCO and yes, I can see a huge difference in the crew training. And I know others can clearly see the difference with these crews based on the conversations I have had with others.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by JC5280
I have experienced this too. Beverage with meal. MAYBE an offer for a refill as they pick up the tray, then nothing. Just wrote in to 1Kvoice about a solid two hours where we never saw the FAs in the F class cabin. When using the restroom, both FAs were in the galley reading. One with his feet way up on the catering cart and a newspaper spread wide. I wanted to take a pic, but knew this is a big no-no. Yes, they were sCO and yes, I can see a huge difference in the crew training. And I know others can clearly see the difference with these crews based on the conversations I have had with others.
I haven't experienced this kind of inattention in the F cabin, either with sCO or sUA crews. (Not doubting your experience; just sharing mine.)
Old Aug 16, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Legacy's and PDB

I fly all three majors depending on $$$ and schedule.

DL definitely 100%

UA very good. Maybe 70%+

AA poor. OJ or water if lucky but occasionally PDB with an enthusiastic FA
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: GS UA+3MM
Originally Posted by physioprof
I haven't experienced this kind of inattention in the F cabin, either with sCO or sUA crews. (Not doubting your experience; just sharing mine.)

On long flights, SFO<>FRA, sometimes the staff will go missing for hours.
Other times I have had water topped up at least hourly.

Kind of random. But usually they come by at an acceptable level.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swixo
On long flights, SFO<>FRA, sometimes the staff will go missing for hours.
Other times I have had water topped up at least hourly.

Kind of random. But usually they come by at an acceptable level.
My experience on long INTL flights is that after the meal service the crew will provide a bottle of water to passengers up front.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 5:50 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM
My experience on long INTL flights is that after the meal service the crew will provide a bottle of water to passengers up front.
Indeed.

They also provide a bottle in the back. Well, mini bottle, smaller than what you'd get at a convenience store.

Ya, decided to save my devalued miles and flew in coach from PRG (via GVA on sUA).
Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: GS UA+3MM
Originally Posted by TomMM
And a good flight crew will keep it from going empty.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Any guesses as to why no pre-flight drinks in F

MCO-LAX. FLight boarded early, no issues. Doors were closed about 10 minutes before scheduled departure.

FA were pretty good the rest of the way.

No pre-flight drinks though, and I forgot to ask why

Usually dont want to appear as a DYKWIA
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Several flights in a row, sometimes they don't try.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by caseminole
MCO-LAX. FLight boarded early, no issues. Doors were closed about 10 minutes before scheduled departure.

FA were pretty good the rest of the way.

No pre-flight drinks though, and I forgot to ask why

Usually dont want to appear as a DYKWIA
We were not the FAs on the flight. You had every opportunity to ask for a drink. Not sure what our guesses can accomplish.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
ORD-EWR boarded early. Everyone seated 15 minutes before door closed. No PDB. I asked for one and was told "I'll get you in the air." Gee. Thanks.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 1:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've done well on United this year. Of the 8 flights I flew in F, 7 featured full PDBs and one was water only. That's better than DL and far better than AA.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Earlier this week, a PDB was offered, but very limited selections. I asked for a vodka soda and was told there was no vodka upfront (only in the back galley) because the flight hadn't been re-catered. According to the app, the aircraft had arrived nearly 20 hours before. Asked for buffalo trace, but was told that was also in the back of the aircraft. Settled for water while we completed boarding 15 minutes early and sat parked at the gate while the FAs chatted. Received my choice of beverage once airborne.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:17 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
2 for 2 yesterday (320 and a CR7) on full PDBs. All UA flights this year have had PDBs, all but one were full (the one that wasn't was just water).
Old Dec 15, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
I received PDB's on almost every flight this year, (even a few RJ's with 2 rounds!), with a couple being OJ or water only. However a week-ish ago I had my non-experience with PDB's leaving TPA to IAD- the GA announced that we were "flying with a very punctual crew today" and they wanted to board 15 minutes early so we could leave. So the corralled everyone up, we board, and push back about 15 minutes early (after boarding had already been completed for 8 or 10 minutes).

In that entire time, no PDB of any sort, not even water. I've never been one to profile or comment on crews on this forum (because almost all of my experiences are good or great) but this crew announced themselves as a EWR based, and based on the mannerisms and tonality of the lead FA, it was quite obvious. Was honestly the only poor experience I've had this year. This is the same crew that did only one round of drinks and disappeared the rest of the flight. For the first time ever I rang my call button because I was under the weather and needed more water... the look I got when she came to ask what I needed was quite pleasant

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.