Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Jeffw5555
This is the first time I have seen this thread. I cannot believe people complain about not getting a PDB. You just got on the plane, you couldn't take 30 seconds to pickup a drink before getting on the plane? This falls into the same class as people that get on the plane, then immediately go into the lavatory....

I pay extra (sometimes a great deal extra) OF MY OWN MONEY to receive First Class service as it's described and promised in United's marketing literature (that includes a PDB). I cannot believe that you think it is unreasonable for me to be upset that when I don't receive it. If you ordered a luxury car, and they delivered it without wheels or a windshield, would you just suck it up and take it?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 17, 2017 at 3:27 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Global Services and 3MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond/Marriott Titanium Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Worst case they take your tip and still hide behind people magazine.
I tip $20 on any given flight. Some FAs take the money, some refuse as claim against "policy". Depends on the person. It does improve their mood and responsiveness for drink service
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1.5mm, *gold, AA - P, Marriot Titanium
No, I don't drink alcohol. Even if I did, I wouldn't worry about needing a drink prior to takeoff .
If it were that important to me, I would ask for the drink.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 17, 2017 at 3:19 pm Reason: unneeded comment removed
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
Originally Posted by Jeffw5555
This is the first time I have seen this thread. I cannot believe people complain about not getting a PDB. You just got on the plane, you couldn't take 30 seconds to pickup a drink before getting on the plane? This falls into the same class as people that get on the plane, then immediately go into the lavatory....
It is perfectly reasonable to expect to receive the services that are advertised. I've never understood why some people get so upset when people point out that they haven't received the services that they paid for.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 17, 2017 at 3:28 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit; Discuss the issues, not the posters
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Moderator Note

Everyone is free to have their opinions and express it BUT we will do this in a friendly, civil manner. Attacking the members / posters in this forum is not allowed.

12.2 Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
Attacking, overly personal comments have been removed. Future similiar comments will lead to the entire post being removed and further actions if needed.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

And
When you believe someone has violated the rules

When you believe someone has violated the rules of FlyerTalk, DO NOT respond by posting in a thread. Instead, report the post to a Moderator, either by Private Message, or by sending a note by clicking on the "Alert a Moderator to this Post" icon, which appears in the lower-left-hand-corner of each post. Then, please leave the issue to the moderator team to handle — do not post your concern in the thread.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 17, 2017 at 3:51 pm Reason: postscript
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
No PDB today on a EMB-170, SLC-DEN. FA's seemed to have plenty of time to chat with each other though. Did take orders for drinks during the flight, which we were at least 30 minutes in the air before she finally served us. Slim pickings for snacks, the couple bags of potato chips were gone by the time she got to row 2.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
5443 SAN LAX, no PDB offered and boarding took 30 min. FA spent entire boarding chatting/flirting with pilots. Poor service IMO
Old Mar 5, 2017, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is NOT a complaint, it's a question.

I flew UA 44 IAH-IAD up front today, sitting in a middle seat on a 764. Before departure, I saw one very pleasant FA walk down the aisle taking PBD orders from pax sitting in the KL seats. Another very pleasant FA walked down the aisle with a tray filled with a variety of PDBs for pax sitting in the ABD seats.

Does UA have standards for its FAs when it comes to delivery of service, or do they just let staff make things up as they go along?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I was on a ERJ175 1 hour short hop the other day. They announced a 1 hour delay because of incoming crew 20 minutes before scheduled departure time. So, a lot of people were upset already.

The guy in front of me claimed he flies only paid F and he is an AA CK. He went on and on about how bad UA is (AA was sold out, he said). I even felt I had to defend UA's honor Then a few people behind me in group 1, this guy heckled the crew when they showed up.

Anyway, both them ended up sitting together in row 3. I think in a quick turn, the FAs are not obligated to serve the PDB. However, the FA did but had to stop after the first 2 rows when we were ready to depart.

Then the guy who heckled the FA started yelling "I want my drink. This is unprofessional!" The Y FA, who seemed more seasoned, told the guy there would be no drink as we had to leave.

Then he yelled "I am going to write United. They are going to give me a certificate or miles..." Prior to that, this guy also used the F word twice and the S word once in the conversation with the AA CK.

Boy the AA guy must think we are crazy
Old Mar 5, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
LOL - over on AA unicorns are more common than PDBs
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
This is NOT a complaint, it's a question.

I flew UA 44 IAH-IAD up front today, sitting in a middle seat on a 764. Before departure, I saw one very pleasant FA walk down the aisle taking PBD orders from pax sitting in the KL seats. Another very pleasant FA walked down the aisle with a tray filled with a variety of PDBs for pax sitting in the ABD seats.

Does UA have standards for its FAs when it comes to delivery of service, or do they just let staff make things up as they go along?
I think it is a common issue for service standards to be unclear for the D seats in the 764 and 763. Every time I have been sat in one, I have been served from both sides, which was OK, since it usually meant refills were more frequent.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
No problem getting one on UA 6060 RDU-IAH last Saturday even though I boarded fairly late. Always like when that happens.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:42 pm

Programs: None anymore
I've been told PDB's don't get offered on some international flights due to tax reasons?? Like if drinks are opened on the ground then they have to pay tax. I never get a mixed drink in ICN for this reason. Has anyone else?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by warrenw
I've been told PDB's don't get offered on some international flights due to tax reasons?? Like if drinks are opened on the ground then they have to pay tax. I never get a mixed drink in ICN for this reason. Has anyone else?
Never heard of this before about ICN. I have never flown out of ICN on UA, but I have done Korean Air, Asiana and Air China, and had no probliem getting PDB champange. However, I do note bubbly is not a mixed drink, but I think the principle applies.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:24 am

Most foreign airlines will serve different (prosecco instead of Champagne), limited, or no alcoholic drinks on the ground in the US to avoid certain taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.