Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:32 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by CMK10
RDU-ORD-YVR on a 73G/738 last weekend and both flights had full PDBs. I boarded midway through boarding on both flights and had no problems getting a drink. For all of United's faults, this is something they are (at least in my experience) consistently good at.
Recently returning to Oz on UA 863 (SFO-SYD) flight boarding was delayed 30 min (given the aircraft was a 789 was relieved that we boarded at all). I was in 6A and needed a drink after the stress of wondering whether I would be subject to yet another 789 cancellation. PDB service was given to the other aisle of C but was not for the left side aisle. So I am not sure about UAs PDB being consistently good....
Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:37 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I have found PDB very hit or miss when I don't board with group 1. If I decided to hang in the lounge a little bit and let the majority of boarding sort itself out then I don't always get a PDB.

Yesterday's SEA-SFO is a perfect example. I was probably #15 of 20 to board for first class on a 739. Seat mate was boarded before me (no idea how much longer) and had no PDB. Ultimately after two battlefield upgrades the FA came back to them in row 5 and asked what they wanted. Then someone asked why the rest of us didn't get a PDB in row 4. She had apparently stopped doing PDB at row 3 (maybe forgot to continue, got sidetracked, I don't know).

Lack of a PDB is not the end of the world to me. But lack of consistency does drive me nuts. I ultimately got a PDB but had to hold the cup as they didn't come and get them before take off.

-RM
you just explained exactly pdb is inconsistent. it's really difficult to be consistent on a 5 row narrow cabin to do pdb in 20-25 mins when people are boarding all over the place. that and on top of other duties. of course the fa didn't get sidetracked, it's not like she was conspiring to be inconsistent.

either way if not offered i always ask when i see the fa floating around, i'm seldom refused.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
On my last puddle jumper E175 - I was asked what I wanted, I answered, I got the napkin placed on the armrest, but never did get the drink I ordered. Could have raised my hand and re-asked but was curious how it would all play out. The FA was a bit busy chatting with nonrevs/deadheads at the galley for the duration of boarding. So no drink in the end; I was more annoyed with the lack of professionalism versus not getting my PDB.

Today another puddle jumper EWR-RDU ... no PDB, not even offered. (Yes it's a 1 hour flight ... just would have rather have had the drink and then fall sleep.)

Last edited by miasmal; Nov 1, 2016 at 4:19 pm Reason: flight today
Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Just flew PHL-ORD and got a drink. ORD-SEA we waited a long time at the gate due to maintenance or something and they just came around and took orders for drinks AFTER take off. SEA-ORD, got PDB. ORD-PHL, They took everyone's order but seemed to forget. After the doors closed and we started pushing back, they quickly distributed the drinks, then collected all the cups right before the "FA please be seated for departure" announcement. So there is certainly enough time to give out drinks.

I understand things can get hectic and rushed and its no fun moving upstream, but if there's time, there's no reason not to had out PDBs.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
SEA-IAD red eye last week, no effort whatsoever to provide PDBs. Plenty of time, 737-900, simply no intent to provide that service.

Noted as recently atypical.

Of course, no survey for this flight...
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Is a PDB supposed to be offered on Express?

SFO-YYC today, even with a delay waiting for potable water, nothing was offered.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by canadiancow

SFO-YYC today, even with a delay waiting for potable water, nothing was offered.
Yes, it is supposed to be offered on Express as well.

I have noticed it becoming much less consistent of late.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Yes, it is supposed to be offered on Express as well.

I have noticed it becoming much less consistent of late.
Normally pretty consistently offered on Skywest and rarely on Shuttle and Republic
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Yes - and I haven't had too many issues. Including a YX FA who managed (insisted on!) a refill while we were taxiing
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Rode Mesa IAD-LGA yesterday in F. Plenty of time for PDB, but no dice.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: United Global Services 3MM, Marriott Ambassador, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry/NEXUS
No PDB from BOM... whatsoever.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:43 pm

Water only UA617 ORD to LAX. Scheduled 7:32pm departure... I'd imagine some people would be wanting their PDBs.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1.5mm, *gold, AA - P, Marriot Titanium
This is the first time I have seen this thread. I cannot believe people complain about not getting a PDB. You just got on the plane, you couldn't take 30 seconds to pickup a drink before getting on the plane? This falls into the same class as people that get on the plane, then immediately go into the lavatory....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 17, 2017 at 3:26 pm Reason: Let's stay civil in our discourse
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jeffw5555
...You just got on the plane, you couldn't take 30 seconds to pickup a drink before getting on the plane?....
In a to-go cup? Sorry, that's not the way airport bars work.

A pre-departure beverage is part of the promised service, so there's an expectation it should be fulfilled.

I guess if a promised meal wasn't provided, your suggestion is "should've spent 30 seconds to pick something up at the airport"?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Jeffw5555
This is the first time I have seen this thread. I cannot believe people complain about not getting a PDB. You just got on the plane, you couldn't take 30 seconds to pickup a drink before getting on the plane? This falls into the same class as people that get on the plane, then immediately go into the lavatory....
It's incomplete / poor customer service. If United cannot get little things right, the won't get big things right.

Also:

Only alcoholic beverages served by a flight attendant may be consumed on board.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 17, 2017 at 3:26 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.